NOT intended as a political statement re this particular site, I just found it at another board I frequent, and found it fairly funny!

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed
    14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently
    7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs
    1 mod to move it to the Lighting section
    2 mods to argue then move it to the Electricals section
    7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs
    5 to flame the spell checkers
    3 to correct spelling/grammar flames
    6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid
    2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"
    15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct
    19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum
    11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum
    36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty
    7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs
    4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's
    3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group
    13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"
    5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy
    4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
    13 to say "do a search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"
    1 to remind you that you cannot hotlink light bulb images
    1 to hijack the thread and ask how to change the horn
    1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.
    07-18-11 10:15 AM
    Thanks! That's the most detailed, precise example of our addicted insanity here I've seen to date. I hope to be a part of it forever.
    07-18-11 06:48 PM
    I love it! This is one of the best threads ever. You really made my day.
    07-18-11 07:04 PM
    Awesome find!

+1 10 char....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-11 07:19 PM
    i had to lol
    next time use usernames!
    07-18-11 07:58 PM
    Someone should quote the OP then put the user names of who does what under each line.
    07-18-11 08:35 PM
    but how do i change a horn?
    07-18-11 09:38 PM
    27 to complain that the light bulb company isn't keeping up with the new energy efficient flourescents, and instead churning out the same old incandescents, with a slightly bumped up wattage.
    13 to flame those posters and say it doesn't matter, they do real work with their incandescent light bulbs.
    17 to opine on how there light bulb manufacturer doesn't tell them how to hold their light bulb.
    4 to complain that their light bulb is gathering information and data about them.
    17 to warn about the dangers of using florescent bulbs.
    3,578 to start separate individual threads about how they are jumping ship to florescent, and can't believe they didn't see the "light" sooner. Those same 3,578 then get mad when no one thinks their pun is funny. And their thread gets locked.
    1 to pipe up and say, why can't we all just get along?

The preceding was posted in good humor for the sole purpose of making people laugh. Please don't start a flame war over it.

Posted from my florescent bulb at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by john_v; 07-19-11 at 07:55 AM.
    07-18-11 09:41 PM
    What about "1 to make ******** one-line comments that have nothing to do with the current thread topic?"
    Oh yeah, I'm not very active on any other forums

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    07-19-11 01:04 AM
    27 to complain that the light bulb company isn't keeping up with the new energy efficient flourescents, and instead churning out the same old incandescents, with a slightly bumped up wattage.
    13 to flame those posters and say it doesn't matter, they do real work with their incandescent light bulbs.
    17 to opine on how there light bulb manufacturer doesn't tell them how to hold their light bulb.
    4 to complain that their light bulb is gathering information and data about them.
    17 to warn about the dangers of using florescent bulbs.
    3,578 to start separate individual threads about how they are jumping ship to florescent, and can't believe they didn't see the "light" sooner. Those same 3,578 then get mad when no one thinks their pun is funny. And their thread gets locked.
    1 to pipe up and say, why can't we all just get along?

The preceding was posted in good humor for the sole purpose of making people laugh. Please don't start a flame war over it.

Posted from my florescent bulb.

Fluorescent light bulbs actually are dangerous. They contain mercury.

Recent research shows that it may cause cancer.
    “For such carcinogenic substances it is important they are kept as far away as possible from the human environment.”
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...-cause-cancer/
    This is a more detailed article on the research regarding fluorescent lights and cancer, but it's in german.
    http://greenpages.pld-a.org/wp-conte...-Sparlampe.pdf

They can also contribute to various negative health side effects in some people.

The mercury vapor from broken fluorescent bulbs can cause permanent brain damage to children, especially infants. Infants have less developed blood brain barriers. If the bulb brakes in a room with carpet. It's recommended that you cut out that section of carpet.
    When a break happens on carpeting, homeowners may consider removing throw rugs or the
    area of carpet where the breakage occurred as a precaution, particularly if the rug is in an
    area frequented by infants, small children or pregnant women.
    http://www.maine.gov/dep/rwm/homeown.../appendixe.pdf
    After a fluorescent bulb breaks, that part of your home remains contaminated indefinitely. It cannot be vacuumed, or washed away. In fact, vacuuming it will make it worse.
    {after a bulb breaks} all types of flooring surfaces tested can retain mercury sources even when visibly clean. Flooring surfaces, once visibly clean, can emit mercury immediately at the source that can be greater than 50,000 ng/m3.
    http://www.maine.gov/dep/rwm/homeowner/cflreport.htm
    The Maine Ambient Air Guideline(MAAG) for mercury is 300 nanograms per cubic meter (ng/m3)
    A room after a broken CFL can reach 100,000 ng/m3. This is 333 times above MAAG.
    A floor surface after it is visibly clean can emit 50,000 ng/m3. This is 166 times above MAAG.
    Basically, once a fluorescent bulb breaks in your home, it is no longer suitable for human life.

In some states, it's illegal to throw fluorescent bulbs in the trash because they can contaminate landfills.
    Fluorescent bulb information, Bureau of Remediation and Waste Management, Maine Department of Environmental Protection

Why are legislators of several countries mandating that we use toxic mercury containing light bulbs that emit dangerous Intermediate Frequency radiation?

Here's a simple test comparing LEDs to CFLs(fluorescent). I think more consideration should be giving to the safer yet more energy efficient LEDs. Why jump the gun and shove fluorescent bulbs on everyone when there should be an open competition between LED and CFL.
    Last edited by blue81to; 07-19-11 at 05:24 AM.
    Barljo likes this.
    07-19-11 01:51 AM
    and here we go......
    john_v likes this.
    07-19-11 07:39 AM
    LOL @ blue81to - nice one!

You forgot: and pixel8rberry who will say something to add fuel to the fire and then sit back and watch people fight
    07-19-11 09:25 AM
    Fluorescent light bulbs actually are dangerous. They contain mercury.

Recent research shows that it may cause cancer.

This is a more detailed article on the research regarding fluorescent lights and cancer, but it's in german.
    http://greenpages.pld-a.org/wp-conte...-Sparlampe.pdf

They can also contribute to various negative health side effects in some people.

The mercury vapor from broken fluorescent bulbs can cause permanent brain damage to children, especially infants. Infants have less developed blood brain barriers. If the bulb brakes in a room with carpet. It's recommended that you cut out that section of carpet.

After a fluorescent bulb breaks, that part of your home remains contaminated indefinitely. It cannot be vacuumed, or washed away. In fact, vacuuming it will make it worse.

The Maine Ambient Air Guideline(MAAG) for mercury is 300 nanograms per cubic meter (ng/m3)
    A room after a broken CFL can reach 100,000 ng/m3. This is 333 times above MAAG.
    A floor surface after it is visibly clean can emit 50,000 ng/m3. This is 166 times above MAAG.
    Basically, once a fluorescent bulb breaks in your home, it is no longer suitable for human life.

In some states, it's illegal to throw fluorescent bulbs in the trash because they can contaminate landfills.
    Fluorescent bulb information, Bureau of Remediation and Waste Management, Maine Department of Environmental Protection

Why are legislators of several countries mandating that we use toxic mercury containing light bulbs that emit dangerous Intermediate Frequency radiation?

Here's a simple test comparing LEDs to CFLs(fluorescent). I think more consideration should be giving to the safer yet more energy efficient LEDs. Why jump the gun and shove fluorescent bulbs on everyone when there should be an open competition between LED and CFL.
    Where's the buzz killer button?!?
    07-19-11 09:37 AM
    Where's the buzz killer button?!?
    One buzz kill button, replete with another form of light.

07-19-11 06:22 PM
    But but But... What about light tubes being used as lightsabers and teens or people hitting themselves with them!?!?!

That is so much fun!

LED's will end up being the normal once more people end up dying from mercury poisoning. Besides, I have a BIG box filled with incandescent bulbs, a tiny basket with 8 CFL's. If you want to use as many CFL's in a lamp, use Twin adapters, as many as you can, then screw in up to 8 in once lamp. Sure, it'll resemble a lamp tree, but it'll use them up all at once, so you'll have one lamp that breaks all of them if it falls, and no broken CFL's in multiple rooms. You could put a clear plastic enclosure around them all, sealed, so it doesn't allow the mercury to spread if the lamp is to fall down due to an earth quake or a kid yanking the cord.

07-28-11 05:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD