I am curious. How long has it been since any users here have used a pay phone? While reading another thread I was going to suggest to give someone a quarter to use the pay phone but realized - I don't know what a payphone costs anymore. I would think payphones have gone up to something like .45 cents. Last time I used a pay phone was 2005 in Canada on a calling card. By the way, I don't recommend using an American calling card on Canadian payphones. But that's another story.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-08 10:51 PM
    I am curious. How long has it been since any users here have used a pay phone? While reading another thread I was going to suggest to give someone a quarter to use the pay phone but realized - I don't know what a payphone costs anymore. I would think payphones have gone up to something like .45 cents. Last time I used a pay phone was 2005 in Canada on a calling card. By the way, I don't recommend using an American calling card on Canadian payphones. But that's another story.

damn i haven't used a pay phone in years. come to think of it, i dont see many around like i use to, are they extinct yet?

i swear i'll ask to use someone's cell before i touch a pay phone.
    Last edited by muu; 03-25-08 at 11:29 PM.
    03-25-08 11:05 PM
    Wow.

It's been a while! Maybe 3 1/2 years....

I think the last time was when i crashed my celica, it was raining and i had forgotten my cell phone at home. Had to call my brother to come pick me up.

Oh and I believe it was .35 cents back then
    03-25-08 11:09 PM
    I don't even remember how much it cost to make a phone call from a pay phone.
    03-25-08 11:19 PM
    last time i used one was in thailand when i had to call home but in america umm probably when my car broke down at 3 am on the freeway about 5 years ago
    03-25-08 11:26 PM
    what's a "pay" phone? Does it run on 3g?
    03-25-08 11:50 PM
    whoa. there are still pay phones out there? i thought they were only used in the movies... hm.
    03-26-08 12:14 AM
    Naw, I was getting my car stereo worked on last summer and I had 6 hrs to kill in the barrio so I started walking around (my old neighborhood) and I saw that there were payphones and people using them. I know who was using them and why, but it was just so funny to actually see a place with payphones and see them being used.

03-26-08 05:45 AM
    I actually used a payphone a few days ago, my bb had low battery (hadn't been home in a few days) and I needed to make a call. It was only .25 cents

03-26-08 06:12 AM
    i think that it's been 4 years for me.
    03-26-08 06:22 AM
    Here in NY its $.50 unlimited I believe
    03-26-08 10:17 AM
    I got stuck in front of a battery shop (long story) without my old brick of a cellphone (another long story) about 4 years ago. I needed to make a call and found 2 back to back payphones. The first one took my money .35 but the person I was calling couldn't hear me. As I was yelling into the reciever, I had a fresher revelation of the term "diarrhea of the mouth" based on what I was smelling on the reciever. To this day I think some homeless guy musta wiped his *** with that reciever.

I slammed the reciever down and walked around to the other side. Yeah, there was a phone, but the frayed wires showed that someone had pulled the reciever as a souvenir a long time before.

NOW I ALWAYS KEEP MY CELLIE WITH ME. NO MATTER WHAT
    03-26-08 11:38 AM
    mmmm, i think it was last year.. i was running late for something & i was stuck at a train stop & there's no cell phone service down there!

i hate trains & try to avoid them.. lol, i live in cabs!
    03-26-08 11:59 AM
    There's a payphone at the gas station across the street, and I swear there's someone at that thng every time I stop there.
    03-26-08 12:01 PM
    Do these payphone things have data plans?
    03-26-08 12:28 PM
    I know not this pay phone of which you speak. My sources indicate this may have been a communication device used frequently in the era of casette tapes, VCRs and microsoft versions 1.0-3.1.

Just kidding, but I haven't used a pay phone since I was homeless in Utah, about 2 1/2 years ago. It would have been 50 cents, were I not considerate enough (to my pockets) to call collect.

03-26-08 12:37 PM
    That is awesome.

You were homeless 2 years ago and now you are posting in Crackberry forums from your Blackberry.

That is totally awesome.
    03-26-08 01:04 PM
    I haven't used a dirty payphone in NYC in ages but the price has definitely gone up... Its $0.50!!! Then most of the suckers don't work so you end up putting in $1.00 to lose it, LMAO!!!

But this just in... My BB was working on the train while underground and I was ecstatic about it that I was passing the word around and a few friends have actually witnessed this for themselves!!!

Gotta love the BB! So try it out Mzshey2x!!!
    03-26-08 01:08 PM
    I used to have the number to the pay phone in our building lobby. Some numbscull kept dialing 911 from it.

I think rates are still 35 cents here in AK.

I love the stories... All great.

03-26-08 02:13 PM
    I used one at JFK airport in January '08. It was .50cents.

Before this it had been many, many years since I last used one. They aren't to common here and the old ones been vandalised and haven't been replaced.

03-26-08 02:29 PM
    A payphone...are they in museum. Just kidding. I don't exactly rememeber, but it maybe 3 to 5 years.
    03-26-08 05:13 PM
    I haven't used a dirty payphone in NYC in ages but the price has definitely gone up... Its $0.50!!! Then most of the suckers don't work so you end up putting in $1.00 to lose it, LMAO!!!

But this just in... My BB was working on the train while underground and I was ecstatic about it that I was passing the word around and a few friends have actually witnessed this for themselves!!!

Gotta love the BB! So try it out Mzshey2x!!!
    Mmm I know people get reception at 34th, 42nd, & 96th.. but I'll have it to try it for myself
    03-26-08 05:36 PM
    I think it was 2 years ago when I was n florida (I'm in canada) and I was amazed by the cheap rates to call canada (50c or something). Which was better then using a cellphone

03-27-08 08:31 AM
    Davey- When I took the ALCAN I ran up 85 bucks woth of overage on my cell phone before I realized I was on roaming. Free nights and weekends didn't work over the border on ATT. That was the last time I used a payphone. I was broke down outside of Saskatoon. Less than halfway to AK. Boy was I nervous!

03-27-08 04:44 PM
    Was actually at a hospital 3 yrs ago, I don't even notice them anymore! Kinda like clocks in Vegas, I don't think I have ever seen one!
    03-27-08 08:43 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD