Moral dilemna!

What's up? Bored between classes here so decided to introduce myself.

Well, tbh I had this experience recently. Here's what happened School was out and I was heading home, I was hungry so I took a detour to this fast food joint and ordered a sandwitch and then went off to eat it in a corner when I was done I remembered I didn't pay!

Yeah evidently they were super busy and distracted because there was this manager/investor type looking around everywhere and talking to them. So I was just about to go up to the counter and say I hadn't paid but then I realized if I did that the owner guy might get mad at the employees. So I just left. What should I have done do you think?
    01-02-10 07:05 AM
    Ummmmm, the RIGHT thing!
    01-02-10 07:17 AM
    Move post to Off Topic and created a thread for it.
    01-02-10 09:19 AM
    I would have taken the free food actually. Not because it's free, but because if someone came up to us and said we forgot to charge them, we'd probably get yelled at for 3 hours

I did something like that last Christmas. I was at PetSmart and picked up a 3' long bone for my dog... We kept wandering around and left forgetting that I still had it in my hand. Didn't realize I was still carrying it until we got back to the car We went back and paid for it though. I'm not a thief...
    01-02-10 09:25 AM
    What resturant, I need to start eatin there.
    really not that big a deal, not like they don't throw away a lot of food

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-10 10:07 AM
    There is nothing stopping you from going back when "that owner guy" is not there
    and taking care of the bill. Chance are they won't take your money but appreciate
    your wanting to do the right thing.
    01-02-10 10:22 AM
    Always do the right thing...even if it bites you in the end. Its what I try to teach my kids.

The right thing here? As was suggested above go back and explain the situation and tell them, "hey I didn't want you to get in trouble the other day". However it turns out, you can know you at least tried to do right by them.

01-02-10 11:38 AM
    There is nothing stopping you from going back when "that owner guy" is not there
    and taking care of the bill. Chance are they won't take your money but appreciate
    Ahh man I wanted to say something like that while quoting "that owner guy"
    in it too.
    01-02-10 12:55 PM
    Character is defined when you do the right thing when no one else is looking.

01-02-10 05:01 PM
    Character is defined when you do the right thing when no one else is looking.
    Or as I was trained, Integrity First...

01-02-10 06:59 PM
    You should have paid. Most likely the cashier drawer did not balance at the end of their shift. So they probably got into trouble anyway.

01-02-10 07:03 PM
    Going back a day or two later is not the best thing to do because of the cash register not matching the orders:

You should have paid. Most likely the cashier drawer did not balance at the end of their shift. So they probably got into trouble anyway.

So, the right thing (and the tactful thing) to do would be to somehow draw the server or cashier aside and explain it.

Now, playing devils advocate, a mistake like that would have a consequence of some kind from 'that boss guy'.
    The employee, if they cared at all about their job, would be more careful to not repeat that mistake. If so, congratulations. You just made them a better employee.
    01-02-10 07:45 PM
    Just remember Karma's a *****

01-02-10 08:26 PM
    Just remember Karma's a *****

Frivolous Moral Question:

Would it be cruel to name your daughter Karma?
    01-02-10 08:33 PM
    I can't tell you how many times I left the grocery store with something under the cart, that I forgot to pay for. I have always gone back. I guess I realized if everyone did that, the prices of all the goods in the grocery store would go up. If you have to question your actions, then you are feeling guilty. I you are feeling guilty then you need to take care of it. Go in tomorrow when a managers prying eyes are not on the employee.
    01-02-10 08:55 PM
    I would have just left without paying, and when I had lunch the next day I would have "overpaid".
    01-04-10 02:45 PM
    I have a local Buger King that i go to from time to time, the people are really friendly and super nice.

make a long story short i went there one day and was a little short on the $$$ so they gave me the whole bill on tab, so-to-speak, and went back to pay for it the next day... they ended up giving me that meal for free and giving me a $10.00 gift card for being honest enough to give it back... maybe you're place will be cool like that.

if you feel moraly wrong about doing it... go to back to the place where it happened and buy a random strangers lunch, you're passing on the " good luck lunch " to someone else.

01-04-10 03:44 PM
    hey, You can just leave a good tip, next time you"re there!
    And that way, You won't go MaAd with guilt!
    01-05-10 12:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD