View Poll Results: Been cited for texting and or talking while driving?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 8.33%
  • No

11 91.67%
    I thought I'd ask this question since we're at a site with phone enthusiasts.
    I've never really read anyone on here talk about being cited for this. Of course
    this depends on what state or country you're in so it varies. So have you?
    Poll question as well.

As for me, I live in Southern California where both are illegal. I haven't been
    cited for neither. I definetly don't text and drive but I admit I do talk with the
    phone to my ear from time to time.
    12-01-09 12:15 PM
    Never but I don't talk or text while driving, mostly because I have no friends or any sense of urgency regarding returning phone calls/SMS.

I know talking on the phone is illegal here but I'm not sure about texting. The police around here don't enforce it anyway. I could count 4 out of 5 drivers in a row talking on their phone. I really wish the cops would start citing for it...
    12-01-09 12:21 PM
    i dont think the CA laws have influenced anyone.. at least not in nor-cal.. some chick almost killed me the other day on I-880 talking on her phone doing about 85mph. even when it was legal, i rarely talked on the phone in the car. it reckless, selfish, and moronic to think you can concentrate on the road and talk on the phone, having the lives of everyone around you in your hands.
    12-01-09 12:23 PM
    I do neither when I drive so I never have to worry about this. I agree with Kev,
    it is reckless and moronic and having to deal with this issue on the EMS side I know
    just how quickly it can go from simply stupid to tragic.

It is also illegal to text or use a phone without a handsfree headset while
    driving here in Connecticut.
    12-01-09 12:28 PM
    I know talking on the phone is illegal here but I'm not sure about texting. The police around here don't enforce it anyway. I could count 4 out of 5 drivers in a row talking on their phone. I really wish the cops would start citing for it...
    I notice people on the freeway talking on the phone a lot too, including CHP
    officers. The same law applies to them but I have literally seen people talking
    on the phone and the officer just driving by. They don't enforce it that much
    from what I've witnessed on a first hand basis, but I don't know about overall.

I thought it was funny how Arnold's wife was caught talking on the phone
    while driving about 3 times or so by paparazzi about a month ago.
    12-01-09 12:32 PM
    I thought I'd ask this question since we're at a site with phone enthusiasts.
    I've never really read anyone on here talk about being cited for this. Of course
    this depends on what state or country you're in so it varies. So have you?
    Poll question as well.

As for me, I live in Southern California where both are illegal. I haven't been
    cited for neither. I definetly don't text and drive but I admit I do talk with the
    phone to my ear from time to time.
    When did it become illegal in Calif? what happens if a person from out of state gets popped?
    12-01-09 12:34 PM
    When did it become illegal in Calif? what happens if a person from out of state gets popped?
    July 2008

I'm pretty sure it still applies.
    12-01-09 12:35 PM
    Starting today (Dec 1) in NC it is now illegal to txt, email, take a pic, etc. with a cell phone while driving. It is not illegal to dial a 10 digit number and then enter PIN codes, etc. while on a phone call. While I agree that txting while driving is stupid and very unsafe, to make a law that is unenforceable like this is dumber.
    12-01-09 12:52 PM
    Works the same way here in CT. Not knowing the law is not an adequate defense
    for breaking it. One officer I know told me that over half his citations were for
    people from out of state.
    12-01-09 12:53 PM
    here in ohio if you get in a accident or any other traffic violation while SMS/MMS/Browsing the web on a device while drive you get charged with "reckless operation" which means you are responsible for every bit of damage you may have caused and you get more point on your driving record.

with that being said i very rarely SMS/browse the web while i am driving for that very reason. and my life isn't worth the trouble, and your life isn't worth it either. And with me having the unlimited EM+ plan from T-Mobile i can just as easily hit the little button my my blue tooth and call you. cost the same to me.... and alot less headache
    12-01-09 01:00 PM
    12-01-09 01:23 PM
    I find it more distracting talking to a person in the car, than on the phone.
    12-01-09 01:27 PM
    I find it more distracting talking to a person in the car, than on the phone.
    I hate having passengers too. I find I'm not in my comfort zone.
    12-01-09 01:28 PM
    Yea, I think it's because they're looking at me more while we're talking, than I am looking at them.

As a result, I tend to turn my head to look at them more frequently- resulting in a bigger distraction!

Does that make sense?
    12-01-09 01:35 PM
    Yea, I think it's because they're looking at me more while we're talking, than I am looking at them.

As a result, I tend to turn my head to look at them more frequently- resulting in a bigger distraction!

Does that make sense?
    Just them being there is distracting to me. Seriously.
    12-01-09 02:33 PM

Does that make sense?
    perfectly.... that is why i wear blinders like horses have...
    12-01-09 02:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD