Ok so I have a Magellan 3200 GPS... I've had it since October 07. Its time for a mapupdate, which I hear cost like $80. I was looking at other units as well that probably already are updated since they are newer and the fact they may have Cananda and Mexico maps loaded along w/bluetooth and a few more feature like more points of interest.
    I just wanted to know what brands & models people out there are using and how they may compare to Magellan. Are there any brands that offer free updates. I can spend another $100 and have a new unity w/more features and a newer better map....
    04-28-09 08:59 PM
    TomTom offers free map updates, I have a tomtom one and it works great.
    04-28-09 09:12 PM
    Do you know if Garmin offers free map updates?
    What are some of the newer features that are coming on these GPS systems?
    Also I know there has to be some sites out there where these updates are leaked for free???
    Just looked on TomToms site there map updates are not free...
    Shows $80 for single update or $10 every 3 months...
    Last edited by AaronJP; 04-28-09 at 09:36 PM.
    04-28-09 09:23 PM
    I had my tom tom stolen out of my car a while back and needed to look for a new unit too. The problem that I ran into was that none of the units I found had all the features I wanted without spending a ton of money. Garmin is supposed to have the best maps and tom tom has the best speed (especially for re calculating routes). I finally decided to not get a new unit at all and just put GPS software on my BB.

I am on wap, so I can't see your carrier or phone model. I can tell you that most blackberries have built in GPS and that the ones that don't can use a Bluetooth puck to get a GPS signal. I ended up with a really nice puck from amazon that only cost $21 shipped. It works flawlessly. I also tried a bunch of the software and found that amazegps and nav4all are free, have small file sizes and work pretty well. I ended up buying the Garmin mobile software for $80 though and it is fantastic.
    The benefits of using GPS on my bb instead of a separate unit:
    Always with me because it is on my bb
    Maps are always up to date because they are downloaded when you start
    POIs come from google (on garmin) so they are also up to date
    Live traffic and weather
    One time fee to use for life and no need to update unless new and better software comes out.
    Turn by turn with street names (extra cost on most units and really comes in handy)

You can still make calls and use a Bluetooth headset or speaker when you are using the nav too.

Hope that is helpful.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-09 09:34 PM
    Also, tom tom does not offer free updates. You can update specific features for free, but they will charge when the new maps come out. Most of the companies are like this now.

04-28-09 09:37 PM
    hhmm... Garmin has the best maps and the TomTom has best speeds. I did notice my Magellan threw me off course a few times before... Its a basic unit was not expensive and has not been bad at all.
    04-28-09 09:46 PM
    Also, tom tom does not offer free updates. You can update specific features for free, but they will charge when the new maps come out. Most of the companies are like this now.

Mine gets road updates for free?
    04-28-09 10:02 PM
    Unless they have REALLY changed the way they do things tom tom usually allows for a certain amount of updating via the tomtom home thing, but when you go for a full set of map upgrades they will hit you for $70. It is like an OS update for them. Like I was saying before, this is standard across the board. They have to get money out of people somehow otherwise they would be asking bailouts too.

04-28-09 10:08 PM
    I am with roeod4. When it came to getting a DPS device, it made sense to get Blackberry GPS software. I use TeleNav

I agree with listed benefits: always with me. Thus, it is also transferable; this past weekend, I used it in a friend's car in a city far from hope.

Clean maps, updated quarterly, and I think it competes favorably with any high-end standalone unit.

Toss in the excellent customer service, and you can see why I am hooked.
    04-28-09 10:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD