Some exciting stuff over at Android Central today.. most notably for me was the unveiling of chromecast, a $35 hdmi stick for your TV that gives you access to streaming and other wireless media.

Can't wait to hear more about what this baby can do.. will it work with BB10's play on feature? Miracast? It's reported to work with both android and iOS`s youtube apps, wonder if we`ll see any support there. Will you be able to name the devices? - for 35 bucks I can't see any reason not to have one attached to every TV in the house!

Google announces Chromecast: Bringing Youtube and Google Play Music to your TV | Android Central
    Lendo and jaydee5799 like this.
    07-24-13 01:29 PM
    I am so buying one

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    07-24-13 01:46 PM
    i ordered it. Might work with a sideloaded Youtube app or netflix but otherwise i dont think the BB10 OS is supported as of now.
    07-24-13 01:50 PM
    US only for the moment.. hopefully they get up in eBay soon enough.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 01:50 PM
    i ordered it. Might work with a sideloaded Youtube app or netflix but otherwise i dont think the BB10 OS is supported as of now.
    It's definitely not officially supported... but it says it works with Windows 7 and above.. so I'm hoping it uses the standard dlna protocols and it will just work with BB10 by default.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 01:51 PM
    Don't think it supports Miracast or DLNA.... might have to wait for Chromecast 2!
    07-24-13 02:00 PM
    It sounds like your device sends it the info on the media and the dongle pulls the content from the network itself, so it wouldn't be anything like DLNA as far as I can make out so far. Still ordered one though.
    07-24-13 02:06 PM
    Don't think it supports Miracast or DLNA.... might have to wait for Chromecast 2!
    I hope that's not the case, only time will tell I suppose.

I have no interest in anything that only works with certain apps nor certain platforms. I want a small, inexpensive dongle just like this, but it needs to support open protocols including both dlna and miracast to be the one for me.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 02:08 PM
    It sounds like your device sends it the info on the media and the dongle pulls the content from the network itself, so it wouldn't be anything like DLNA as far as I can make out so far. Still ordered one though.
    That's the way I understood it with the YouTube app. I'm just hoping it does more then that as well.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 02:10 PM
    From my understanding, it's basically just transferring whatever you're watching on, for example, the Netflix Android app, to the Netflix Chromecast app. Once it starts to play on the TV, it's now using the Chromecast app to play the content, meaning your phone can be used to do different things, while the TV continues to play the Netflix media. Same for YouTube, etc. The phone/tablet is the initiator, then the TV/dongle takes over and uses its own apps to play the content you've selected on your phone.
    07-24-13 02:15 PM
    I hope that's not the case, only time will tell I suppose.

I have no interest in anything that only works with certain apps nor certain platforms. I want a small, inexpensive dongle just like this, but it needs to support open protocols including both dlna and miracast to be the one for me.

Posted via CB10
    then this device isnt going to be for you probably. I think it only supports 4-5 apps at this point. No hulu yet. I dont think it can stream media on a android deivce at this point either. Its not at a Roku or apple TV level yet at all
    07-24-13 02:33 PM
    They are releasing SDKs for developers so they can make their apps work with chromecast.

Personally I think this is amazing and kicks Apple TV's **** to the curb especially when you consider price and developers jumping to make their apps compatible. I'm so excited, can't wait to buy it in Canada!

Posted from Q10 and CB10.
    07-24-13 04:03 PM
    If it doesn't work with my Playbook or Z10, I have an old Galaxy Note kicking around that I'm not using (since getting the Z10)...
    07-25-13 07:58 AM
    All sold out it seems and bidding on ebay is going crazy. Guess it will be a while before we see it in Canada.
    07-25-13 10:51 AM
    Hope Google get this into the UK Play Store, pronto.
    07-30-13 12:23 PM