Blackberry Users Are More Important than iPhone or Android Users
    By Mat Honan Aug 9, 2011 2:40 PM

Social influence-ranking service Klout released some interesting numbers yesterday showing BlackBerry users are more influential than Android or iPhone users. Take that, you smug RIM-hating jerks.

Klout reported that the average Blackberry user it tracks scored a 43.6. The average iPhone user was a 42, while Android users came in behind both at 40.6. The average score on Klout is 20. Justin Bieber scores a perfect 100, baby.

Klout tracks some 80 million people on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn. It then purports to measure influence by looking at how one's posts on those networks affect others, and assigns a score from 0-100. It weeds out the bots, and places less importance on follower counts than it does action counts. For example, if you share a link, and many of your followers re-share it, or respond to it, or retweet it, that will raise your score. Likewise, if your network is made up of very influential people, that will also raise your Klout score.

Which sort of explains why BlackBerry users would win this thing. Who gets BlackBerrys? Corporate executives, often C-level types. My guess is that if you looked at the BlackBerry demographic on Klout, it would be an older and more professional user group than iPhone and Android with well-developed networks. Similarly, if you think about how many Android phones are free phones, it makes sense that a lot of those are going to end up in the hands of young people who haven't had the time or inclination to develop the kind of peer networks their elders have.

Which doesn't necessarily make the findings true.

On one hand, I'm not sure I really trust the validity of anything Klout or PeerIndex or other social media ranking services report. Someone who keeps a very private Facebook page, or has a locked Twitter account, for example, may be hugely influential on a small number of followers with a resulting large ripple effect, yet still have a low score. And of course, doesn't measure those who don't use social media at all.

On the other hand, my Klout score is awesome.

Blackberry Users Are More Important than iPhone or Android Users
    08-09-11 06:12 PM
    who reads gizmodo anymore? they redesigned their site and have sucked every since
    Crucial_Xtreme likes this.
    08-09-11 06:14 PM
    Lol here we go...
    08-09-11 06:23 PM
    Yes, but BB love is in short supply these days. BB users will take freebies...

who reads gizmodo anymore? they redesigned their site and have sucked every since
    howarmat likes this.
    08-09-11 06:23 PM
    You guys know we have blogs here at CrackBerry, right? We posted this yesterday on the front page, like a whole day before Gizmodo...
    BlackBerry vs iPhone vs Android
    08-09-11 06:27 PM
    Love the increase in troll posting. :S
    08-09-11 06:28 PM
    I've seen some posts that you've written and whilst often informative they generally fall on the negative side of RIM, but is this the best comment / negativity that you can summon up about this post?

Just because a site gives good feedback regarding RIM or BlackBerry users it doesn't automatically belittle the message or site.
    08-09-11 06:43 PM
    Yes, but BB love is in short supply these days. BB users will take freebies...
    Yeah but they still take shots at BlackBerry users and more or less discredit the findings, calling them "C-level types" & other subliminal hits. Giz just isn't the Gizmodo of old. I prefer not to visit the site.
    K Bear, avt123 and howarmat like this.
    08-09-11 06:44 PM
    I've seen some posts that you've written and whilst often informative they generally fall on the negative side of RIM, but is this the best comment / negativity that you can summon up about this post?

Just because a site gives good feedback regarding RIM or BlackBerry users it doesn't automatically belittle the message or site.
    Actually if you read the article they belittle the people who did the study. Gizmodo is garbage.
    08-09-11 06:55 PM

you missed the meaning behind my post.

There have been 3-4 articles from gizmo in the last week pretty damn negative against RIM. You know what RIM "fanboys" said? the same response i just stated. Its just a case of discredit because you dont agree with the info and praise if you do agree. Personally i gave up on Gizmo long time ago not matter what they are reporting on.
    Last edited by howarmat; 08-09-11 at 07:16 PM.
    K Bear, Phil DeLong and brucep1 like this.
    08-09-11 06:57 PM
    Remember, Gizmodo wrote a piece saying the new BB devices aren't "enough" or something similar, and everyone jumped all over them for various reasons. Gizmodo is no more authoritative today than it was last week, when the opinion on these forums was an emphatic thumbs-down.
    K Bear likes this.
    08-09-11 07:12 PM

The site being gizmodo is what belittles the site, this is true for all their articles even if they have accidentally posted one that wasn't negative for a change.
    08-10-11 06:02 AM
    Yeah but they still take shots at BlackBerry users and more or less discredit the findings, calling them "C-level types" & other subliminal hits. Giz just isn't the Gizmodo of old. I prefer not to visit the site.
    I wish I was a 'C' level.
    08-10-11 06:52 AM
    Bah, what phone you own says nothing about you other then maybe you're conservative or like to tinker or like things easy etc. Has nothing to with being important or not, heck that is totally debateable depending on who you ask.

I guess these bloggers have to find something to blog about and or make stuff up to keep people reading.
    08-10-11 07:00 AM
    Because they could be completely unbiased and informed like the bgr right?

EDIT: For the record - all of these supposed "tech" sites being run by clowns have zero credibility - whether it be a good or bad review of RIM. I chose not to take my tech advice by some dolt blogger.

EDIT^2: And yes - I think mighty highly of myself =p t(''t)
    Last edited by mjs416; 08-10-11 at 07:20 AM.
    08-10-11 07:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD