As some of you know, I'm a nanny. I'm starting a new position today with a 3yo boy and 6 & 9yo girls.
    I have lots of ideas of things to do with them, and there are millions of websites with ideas.
    However, sometimes the best spontaneously-formed ideas come from experience. And who better to ask, when it comes to experience with kids, than a parent?

Do you have any things you've done with your kids that they particularly love(d)? Some fresh, unique ideas? Whether it's a game, a unique idea for an outing, an art project, your own personal twist on a classic activity, or just something fun to do...please share!!
    05-18-09 12:24 PM
    Swirrlies are always fun.

with my two nephews we always play "monsters". basically hide and go seek but when you find them you have to spook them... they really have ALOT of fun doing that.
    05-18-09 12:30 PM
    Thanks!
    But....man......"MJ," with that avatar, I'm going to have to question the MJ in your name. Hmmmm.....
    05-18-09 12:38 PM
    Play bobbing for apples in the toilet?

But with hershey kisses?

HAHA JK

Maybe that should be for the "What NOT to do" Version of this thread.

I think that would be far more fun... haha
    05-18-09 12:42 PM
    What NOT to do: allow kids access to your supply of meds
    05-18-09 12:48 PM
    My son and I always enjoyed "pretend play," like role-playing things like pirates, good guys vs. bad guys, etc...
    Younger boys usually like building with blocks, playing with cars. My nieces enjoy play-doh, coloring, painting. Pretty much anything creative. And most children, I've found, enjoy music, if you have the talent and patience to teach them.
    It's important that you engage them, so it's better to find stuff you and the children will all enjoy, IMO.
    05-18-09 01:04 PM
    Try making fun stuff like banana shakes.

I used to love making smoothies and stuff when I was little-

Plus it's healthy.
    05-18-09 01:20 PM
    Oh totally, Prada. I always try to involve the kids in any cooking, and baking and smoothie-making is amazingly fun. Kids love just being able to push the buttons on the blender, let alone getting something delicious out of it.
    Plus, it can be an educational activity: reading, measuring, mixtures/reactions.
    I had a kid so excited he almost wet himself by taking a clear glass measuring cup, pouring in baking soda, and letting him add the vinegar.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-09 01:50 PM
    Thanks!
    But....man......"MJ," with that avatar, I'm going to have to question the MJ in your name. Hmmmm.....
    the MJ stands for my first and middle names initials - Michael Joseph.
    05-18-09 02:49 PM
    Hopefully you can get some outside stuff done too. Too many kids these days are becoming TV & computer zombies. Get them outside, take walks, go to a park, fly a kite etc GET THEM OUTSIDE! (sorry for shouting but I was excited)
    05-18-09 03:33 PM
    A nice game of "Kick The Baby" is always fun.
    05-18-09 05:01 PM
    Sheesh....and all these years SK-i had no idea what I was doin wrong by duck taping my kids mouths shut and using thumb tacks to stick them to the walls by their toes.......I'm kidding!!! I'm kidding!!!! LOL

How about--tee ball, bubbles, jump rope, hop scotch, AND a large cardboard box can be utilized to the imagination that your on a pirate ship looking for lost treasure!!! Also--make simple treasure maps to follow clues to locate the treasure--and the prize can be as simple as 3 cookies or a small piece of candy as a treat!!

05-18-09 05:20 PM
    Howdy SodaKitty,

Another thing you will want to do is find out what the parents would like for them to be involved in, and from the kids what they like doing and build from that.

With that age spread, it might be tough on a daily bases to get them involved in things together, so make sure you find out about the mix of friends and just the three of them (summer time is kinda rough especially if it's just the three of them and you, for the entire summer).

As an uncle, I know that all the 9/10 years old I know, don't like hanging out with their "little" brothers and sisters much. But every family is different.
    05-18-09 06:32 PM
    I had to check out this thread! I knew there would be some funny smart azz comments & thank you all cuz I wasn't disappointed! Kinda hoped for a few more tho...
    For real though big props to you sk for taking your child care job seriously & doing your research. Even if it is on cb.
    JK! Kind of lol.
    I ran a daycare for a few years & it was so much fun! If you're into it (and your employers treat you well) you're gona love your new job!
    The kids absolutely loved arts & crafts projects & outdoor time.
    If your employers got bank like that, get the credit card & take the kids to Build-A-Bear. My daughter & I did that recently & we had a blast!
    Good luck!!!

05-18-09 10:31 PM
    I now it is not original but the zoo musems and the park are great places do kids. They learn and run around and get tired looking at stuff. Living in Chicago I have tons of passes to places like that and my daughter loves them.

05-18-09 10:33 PM
    And Jak, what kid wouldn't love a trip to Wrigley Field????
    05-19-09 08:53 AM
    Anything that involves imagination, creativity, and physical activity! My kids love hiking, but whatever you can do to keep the TV off and the mind developing!

FyrGuy176

05-19-09 09:12 AM
    My kids Love lego. They can build, build, build. One day space ships, the next cars, a third Houses/bases

teh figures can be assembled to create any mannor of color scheme to match whatever hero they have.

Anotehr cool activity is to make a "journal jar" write down "topics and have the kids draw a topic then write a journal page/story about them ( let the younger one draw a picture about it.)

Things as simple as "what kind of animal would you be" to "what did Mommy/daddy like to play with when they were kids" or more complicated as "How can we keep our planet clean"

Now that digital camera are cheap and easy to use you can easily create an activity around them. Kids love to take pictures! have them tell a story with pictures . Make a "comic book" using their photos then add the dialogue
    05-19-09 12:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD