Here I lay, exhausted, with sore arms, no sleep, and a worried heart. Yesterday was my first full day with the kids I nanny for now...I took them to this really great park with huge (20-30ft) climbing structures made out of geometrically woven ropes, we climbed together, swung, played, ran, rode the giant merry-go-round climber...I used muscles I hadn't in a long time, hence the sore muscles. We also had a picnic lunch, made crafts, played, caught a frog, etc etc etc. A great day.
    Then I came home after working 11 hours to a sick Elgin. He was having really bad abdominal pain that he said were like very strong cold water cramps, symptoms that were similar to a UTI, couldn't eat, was nauseous, etc. He also has had a mass on his groin for a couple months (that, ironically, he was scheduled to have checked today), and suddenly today, it started to hurt, with pain spreading from the mass to the tip of his male parts. :/
    So, after hours of the pain coming and going, and contemplating, he was admitted through the ER just around midnight.
    Samples and scans and x-rays later, they're pretty sure it's a hernia, and are operating this afternoon.
    Now, that's not a huge deal...but the big problem is, he's on a blood thinner, Plavix. Which makes him a bleeder, pretty big time. Which makes surgery a really big risk. Usually, they'd have you stop taking something like that 2 weeks prior to surgery...and he took one just yesterday. So...needless to say, I'm worried. I mean, I'm sure they're prepared to deal with that...but that tends to be one of the major issues with surgeries, and so...worried. I can't help but be.

But, I am glad to find out the lump is most likely not cancer. Which is always good, especially since he has a history of cancer already. (Not to mention, hypertension, non-communicating heart sinuses, a blockage in his heart and one in his arm, scar tissue all over inside him from 1970s chemo...)

I've been up all night in the ER with him, and came home to get some much-needed sleep before going back to him. I'll be closing my eyes as soon as I finish this post.

So, our fun continues. All thoughts, prayers, wishes, etc will be appreciated.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 08:10 AM
    SK-you know I'm there for you with my wishes, thoughts, and prayers of course. I wish El the best of luck in surg today-and I'm sure all will go fine-the doctors knowing his medical background and whatnot! I know its hard to tell you to try to relax, but you do need to try because then you will make yourself sick from the added stress. Try to have a peaceful nap. As always- you know you can PM if you need to talk

05-27-09 08:28 AM
    ^^^Same here, SK. You have my BBM if you need to talk.

05-27-09 09:26 AM
    Tell him good luck with the surgery! First thing he needs to do when he recovers is STOP taking plavix. Why in the world would anyone take a medicine that thins your blood? Change of diet and exercise is the answer, not medicine.

05-27-09 11:37 AM
    Thanks guys.
    And so, update! The hernia went back in on its own, so they don't need to operate immediately. He was released (with more antibiotics for his pneumonia) with just the need to follow up with his doctor(s) and return immediately if that pain starts again.

05-27-09 11:58 AM
    SK that's great news! Glad to hear the surgery is not necessary!

05-27-09 12:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD