I was employed with Research in Motion.

It has been several years now and I have had time to reflect on my experience and seeing as the internet was created to share experiences I thought I would share mine.

I loved my time with RIM, the people I worked with every day were enjoyable well spoken and a very intelligent group. I worked mostly with the general public and business customers of RIM preforming a wide variety of interesting tasks. I remember at the time being amazed by the little things like, speaking with a person in Australia.

It was really the experience of a life time. It came to an end when one morning when I received a call from my supervisor asking me if I would come in for overtime to help cover while others worked on a on going project. Once I entered the main doors and greeted the security personal as I did every day, I was meet my supervisor at the front door.

He pulled me aside and told me that we were having a quick meeting with some human resources people. This was great, I had made it known that I was seeking an opportunity to move up and do more for the company. It was not however and I was told that I had released confidential information about the company. I was dumbfounded. Fearing for the job I worked hard for was escaping me I couldn't help but trip over words and choke back tears. I was never given the opportunity to hear what I had said or any further opportunity to explain myself once I had settled my emotions. I never had the chance to appeal the decision or speak with anyone in person again about the matter.

So just another disgruntled employee, right? Wrong. RIM was a fantastic company to be a part of. My only source of contention is the people whom made swift and unbiased dismissals like this necessary.

The name of the game is integrity, I want people to learn and grow from my experience. I can only hope to show people that you must always watch every word you say or write. And hopefully, someone else wont lose an excellent opportunity like I have.
    11-20-10 12:28 PM
    I'm sorry to hear that.. You did release something right? It wasn't like.. Random was it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-10 08:41 PM
    I didn't find out what I did for a few years, until the products eventual release. With the amount of times people had asked about it and the amount of information circulating about it outside the work place, I had assumed the product was an announced product. It had even gone so far as a carrier announcing several of the products features, however RIM did not. Hence my mistake.

I just want to stress the importance of this, mistakes as innocent as they are can be, have huge consequences. I've seen these kinds of mistake more and more, so I wanted to share to make sure people stop and think about their actions.
    11-21-10 08:40 AM
    Your post isn't a RIM attempt to get people to stop leaking info by any chance....is it?
    11-22-10 11:41 AM
    smells like bs to me.
    11-22-10 11:45 AM
    smells like bs to me.
    Mmmm hmmm. God, I love the smell of BS in the morning.
    11-22-10 11:47 AM
    Mmmm hmmm. God, I love the smell of BS in the morning.
    lawl! gotta love it!
    11-22-10 11:35 PM
    You NEVER know!
    11-24-10 09:39 AM
    RIM's person on the grassy knoll. We all know they're there, but you just can't confirm it.
    Last edited by middbrew; 12-02-10 at 11:24 AM.
    11-24-10 09:44 AM
    I believe this story to be true.
    12-02-10 10:32 AM
    I believe it's true, as well. My place of employment requires a high level amount of confidentiality. A co-worker got fired recently for simply mentioning a client in a facebook status. It wasn't anything bad or anything, but it was a big no-no.

These things happen. Thanks for sharing your story, OP.

Regarding the information leaks from RIM, I have a feeling that nowadays there is an alloted amount that is SUPPOSED be released about upcoming devices. The smartphone competition is fierce, & you have to keep consumers eager for new devices. People would lose interest if they didn't hear anything for months, & RIM knows this. Hence, the blurry hardware pics & slowly leaked specs & features.
    12-02-10 02:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD