hey just wondering if any forlift operators are out there in cb land...
    05-30-08 04:38 PM
    I drove a Hyster for a lumberyard full time when I was in college. One of the best jobs I have ever had in my life PERIOD.
    05-30-08 05:29 PM
    Really? Why was it the best?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-08 05:58 PM
    Because me and the dude I was working with were totally synched up. We could work for hours together and not really say a word. I knew what he was doing (what part of the truck he was loading/unloading) and he knew what I was doing. I don't think I have every had another job where I have had to rely/count on another person as much as I had to rely on that dude and actually had the person come through.

I learned an incredible amount of mechanical knowhow at that time.

We would get calls in the middle of the night to go and unload a truck and that was cash money on the spot.

And the boss always bought us beers on friday afternoons.

And I was completely content.
    05-30-08 06:09 PM
    That's Sweet!

05-30-08 06:25 PM
    i worked in one of those small ones for awhile, a stand up counterbalanced forklift. drove that for a little over a year... and when i was doing construstion, i used the huge diesel powered ones a few times. didnt want to get caught by OSHA though, i didnt have my licence. i miss drivingthat thing... id do it again in a second.
    05-30-08 11:00 PM
    ya i got my license, don't use it though...
    05-30-08 11:05 PM
    The one I used to drive was propane powered.
    I swear if I could pay the bills with it I would do it in a heartbeat.

05-30-08 11:15 PM
    over here you can... that's why i got certified... they pay like 11-14 to start and normal pay is like 22 or so... hells ya!
    05-30-08 11:17 PM
    Where you located at homie?

05-30-08 11:24 PM
    so cal baby!
    05-30-08 11:31 PM
    Wow. I am norcal. Sounds like you scored a good gig mang.

05-31-08 12:22 AM
    I drove one a couple of years back for a lumber company...

One of my favorite jobs. Like Doc said, if it could pay the bills... The usually had no hours in the winter, so I bounced before the winter hit.

05-31-08 12:42 AM
    We use them every day at our job, though I don't drive them very often anymore. When I worked in the plant, I used it daily, but I spend most of my time in the office now. I'm excited, however, because we're building a new plant and I'm relocating there next month, and we're getting brand new Jungheinrich electric forklifts! So that'll be fun.
    05-31-08 11:47 AM
    Ya I'm gonna try to do it part time to gain experience... good to hear all the good things...

05-31-08 12:10 PM
    drivers making 22.00 dollars boy im in the wrong job. I am the one who fixes them . The technical side of the lifts now days has so much more electronics over the models from just 8 years ago. I work on all lifts electrics ,lp and deisel. And currently take care of about 60 machines of all types. as for forklift licence its job specific you cant take it with you when you go down the road. Hey good luck when you buy parts let alone pay labor for your german models lindes and younghinrichs. and oh yea the parts ussally come from germany. so guess what wait wait wait !!!!!
    hey I love my curve.
    Be safe on those machines.
    06-23-08 04:53 PM
    a forklift was the first vehicle i ever drove!! even before a car!
    06-23-08 08:47 PM
    I've had numerous jobs where i've driven forklifts.... LP/Electric/Diesel all of them.... Funnest job was working at a steel factory making steel castings... Got to learn how to do some cool things, and honed in on some technical forklift skills and moving castings up to about 15,000 pounds.. Now I upgraded and am driving Semi trucks..... And i just turned 25 so i think i might have to jump up to something else a few years down the road...
    06-24-08 02:32 AM
    Think about water\wastewater treatment. You can get started by taking one or two classes at Community College - all states have one with a water program and the classes are usually at night for working people. We never have enough people to go around - always trying to find good people. Jobs start at 16 an hour and you're making 40K in two years max. My people average 50K. These jobs pay 60K to 65K in places like So Cal - that's for regular workers. If you're motivated and move up, you make more. It's also nice to get paid for what you know not how much you sweat - not that there's anything wrong with that. Best part is that it's high tech science with laid back atmosphere - and you have a lot of independence. My people come in in the morning, get their PDAs, jump in their trucks and take off. I usually don't see them again until shift change. 25 to 30 is the perfect age to start out.

06-24-08 12:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD