View Poll Results: Should humans consume fluoride?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Fluoride is safe and healthy.

2 28.57%
  • Yes, fluoride is healthy but overexposure is a major problem.

0 0%
  • No. Fluoride is dangerous and human consumption should be avoided.

4 57.14%
  • I don't know. I'm undecided.

1 14.29%
    How do you get fluoride?
    *In some places it's in the ground naturally and it gets into well water, fruits, vegetables, wheat, fish and etc.
    *Eating fruits or vegetables treated with pesticides that contain fluoride.
    *Toothpaste with fluoride in it.
    *Tap water has fluoride added artificially in many places.
    *Consuming food or drinks that use water with fluoride in it.
    *Fluoride is artificially added to salt in some places.
    *Scratching a pot or pan that has a nonstick surface can create debris which contain fluoride.

How is fluoride good for you?
    *Fluoridated water operates on tooth surfaces: in the mouth it creates low levels of fluoride in saliva, which reduces the rate at which tooth enamel demineralizes and increases the rate at which it remineralizes in the early stages of cavities.

How is fluoride bad for you?
    *Dental fluorosis occurs because of the excessive intake of fluoride. Excessive fluoride can cause white spots, and in severe cases, brown stains or pitting or mottling of enamel.
    *Skeletal fluorosis is a bone disease caused by excessive consumption of fluoride. In advanced cases, skeletal fluorosis causes pain and damage to bones and joints.

There's a lot of disagreement in the scientific community about whether fluoride is good or bad. Some scientist believe fluoride consumption should be avoided completely. But others believe it's safe and healthy.

06-21-11 11:42 PM
    Fluoride is an overall bad chemical. It is an industrial waste that is originally named 'sodium fluoride' and the miners cannot dump this waste in the ocean because ir violates international law; neither can they dump it locally because they will have lawsuits on their hands so it's bought as a product and dumped into the municipal water supply across the US. The prime chemical in rat poison and pesticides is fluoride and if it is beneficial, it is meant to be used to rub our teeth; not ingest it. It bears the same logic as drinking sun screen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-11 11:33 AM
    I pretty much like Banana Boat the best. It smells good too.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    06-22-11 02:37 PM
    The fluoride containing acid that they put in water can burn through concrete.

The CDC(Center for Disease Control) recommend that infants shouldn't drink formula with tap water in it.
    You can use fluoridated water for preparing infant formula. However, if your child is exclusively consuming infant formula reconstituted with fluoridated water, there may be an increased chance for mild dental fluorosis. To lessen this chance, parents can use low-fluoride bottled water some of the time to mix infant formula; these bottled waters are labeled as de-ionized, purified, demineralized, or distilled.
    http://www.cdc.gov/fluoridation/safe...nt_formula.htm

A nation wide study was done on fluoride.
    In 1986-87, 22.6% of children 12-15 years old were affected by dental fluorosis.
    In 1999-04, 40.7% of children 12-15 years old were affected by dental fluorosis.
    http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db53.htm
    Last edited by blue81to; 06-30-11 at 08:35 AM.
    06-30-11 07:31 AM
    I didn't vote because I say good for teeth, terrible for you. What good are nice teeth if you get cancer or worse from it. I guess you'll have a nice smile in your casket.
    pixel8rberry likes this.
    06-30-11 08:04 AM
    The quotes below are from a report done by the United States' EPA(Environmental Protection Agency). Does fluoride sound safe for human consumption to you? This is their own research as ordered by the congress.

Under section 112(n)(6) of the Clean Air Act of 1990, as amended, Congress required EPA to carry out a study of hydrofluoric acid (also called hydrogen fluoride (HF)), to identify potential hazards to public health and the environment.........
    HF is a very corrosive and toxic inorganic acid. It can either be a gas or liquid in anhydrous form (without water; 100 percent HF) or in aqueous solution (with water). Exposure to HF can cause injury through inhalation, direct contact, or ingestion. HF is particularly caustic to tissue and exposure may require special treatment. HF is one of the more corrosive and toxic industrial chemicals, but it is not unique among hazardous chemicals;.......
    HF may be toxic to aquatic and terrestrial life, with the effect depending on the exposure concentration, If HF was released to the environment in sufficient concentrations, the fluoride ions in the water could be toxic to surrounding plants and animals, while airborne HF in a vapor cloud could burn both plant and animal tissue. Whether released to water, air, or land, HF does not biodegrade............
    It should also be noted that fluoride is added to drinking water to help prevent tooth decay .46 The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommend that communities fluoridate their drinking water systems at the optimum fluoride level, i.e., the level that results in the least staining and/or pitting of developing teeth (dental fluorosis) and the maximum reduction in dental decay. The CDC have defined the optimum fluoride level in drinking water as 0.7 mg/L to 1.2 mg/L. EPA�s standard is different from the CDC recommendation because EPA standards are based on health effects, and the Agency considers dental fluorosis to be a cosmetic effect, not an adverse health effect. Excessive amounts of fluoride can also lead to crippling skeletal fluorosis, however, which is a health effect47 To reduce the risk of skeletal fluorosis, EPA has established a maximum contaminant level (MCL) for fluoride in drinking water at 4.0 mg/L. EPA set a Secondary Maximum Contaminant Level (SMCL) at 2.0 mg/L to protect against dental fluorosis. The MCL is an enforceable standard that requires a system to install one of the identified best technologies generally available, while the SMCL is a nonenforceable goal that requires a system that exceeds the level to give public notification.48..........
    http://www.epa.gov/oem/docs/chem/hydro.pdf

Well.... that sounds perfectly safe to me.
    06-30-11 11:52 AM
    I would like to offer a real life observation to you:

2 people: 1 doesn't drink anything but purified water, the other drinks only tap water.

The tap water drinker consumes at least a gallon of water during the 24 hour period on a daily basis, brushes their teeth twice a day, plus flossing and using Fluoride enhanced mouth rinse. Not a smoker or drinker.

The filtered water drinker - drinks about the same amount of filtered water, same brushing habits, NO mouth rinse. Not a smoker or drinker either.

What I have observed is that the tap drinker has repeatedly developed stains and tartar, while the teeth of the filtered water drinker have remained stain and bacteria free. Which brings me to conclusion that the whole fluoridation of the water is a big steamy pile of you-know-what.

Fluoride in the toothpaste and good hygiene habits are enough to keep your teeth healthy. If you want to prevent cavities between brushings, chew a sugar-free XYLITOL gum. You can get it at Whole Foods. Xylitol has been proven to prevent bacteria build-up in the mouth.
    06-30-11 03:36 PM
    The CDC have defined the optimum fluoride level in drinking water as 0.7 mg/L to 1.2 mg/L. EPA�s standard is different from the CDC recommendation because EPA standards are based on health effects, and the Agency considers dental fluorosis to be a cosmetic effect, not an adverse health effect.
    I'd like to know how dental fluorosis is just cosmetic. If someone has it than they had too much fluoride at some point. Skeletal fluorosis is much more dangerous than dental fluorosis but there doesn't seem to be much emphasis on this from the CDC or EPA.
    06-30-11 09:16 PM
    There's a substance that had the ability to eat through any metal. It also is a leading cause of death among humans - it's so lethal that a single lungfull will kill you.

That substance is water.
    Don't get so worked up about fluoride, we're all gonna die someday anyway, and it'll be sooner if you stress yourself out over little things like fluoride
    06-30-11 11:17 PM
    For your teeth, it's good. Ingesting it, BAD IDEA.

07-01-11 04:32 AM
    There's a substance that had the ability to eat through any metal. It also is a leading cause of death among humans - it's so lethal that a single lungfull will kill you.

That substance is water.
    Don't get so worked up about fluoride, we're all gonna die someday anyway, and it'll be sooner if you stress yourself out over little things like fluoride

Water can be corrosive to many things but it's beneficial to your body because it helps needed chemical reactions to take place. People are about 55-65% water.

The CDC recommends that infants should avoid consuming formula mixed with fluoridated tap water because in early stages of tooth development, teeth are more vulnerable to dental fluorosis. Even if you assumed that fluoride is good for you; the effects of consuming it differs depending on the person. There's several drawbacks to putting it in tap water. There's no way to control who gets how much.
    Infant Formula - Safety - Community Water Fluoridation - Oral Health

Once teeth are erupt; the benefits of fluoride is reported as coming from topical treatment. The act of drinking water isn't the main way that this occurs. Fluoridated water works on erupted teeth by saturating peoples bodies with fluorine to the point were it's secreted in their salivary glands.

Fluorine is a very small atom too. It can fit almost anywhere in your body.
    Fluorine = about 19 grams per mole
    Water = about 18 grams per mole

In this study, it observes the relation between fluoride in saliva and blood.
    In the present study, the submandibular/sublingual salivary
    fluoride concentration was closely related with the plasma fluoride
    concentration, but the saliva level was always lower than
    that in plasma.
    http://jdr.sagepub.com/content/68/2/146.full.pdf

What is concerning to me about this is that fluoride can be absorbed by other tissue. Although most fluoride that stays in you will be in your bones and teeth.

Approximately 99% of the fluoride in the body is associated with calcified
    tissues. Fluoride is incorporated into bones and teeth where, as a result of
    similarities in size and charge, it replaces the hydroxyl ion in the crystal lattice
    of apatite. It can be released from bone by ion exchange at the crystal
    surface and by the dissolution of bone crystals through osteoclastic activity.
    Fluoroapatite is less soluble, more compact, and slower to undergo remodeling
    in bone
    http://www.fluoride-journal.com/01-34-2/342-95.pdf

Areas of bone with fluoride in it takes longer to be replaced with new bone. It can accumulate in your bones over time.

Fluoride is unique in that it stimulates bone formation, while the other osteoporosis medications improve bone density by inhibiting bone resorption. However, the bone formed by fluoride stimulation appears to be weaker than normal bone and may be more prone to fracture. Fluoride also causes frequent side effects such as stomach upset and pain in the joints and lower extremities. Flouride is not an FDA approved treatment of osteoporosis in the United States.
    Osteoporosis Prevention & Treatment - Medications, Fluoride and Treatment Success from MedicineNet.com

What effect will there be if someone drinks fluoride over the course of a life time? We already know that it can accumulate over time. The amount consumed varies from person to person.
    07-01-11 09:08 PM
    I grew up on fluoride enhanced water, and there's....

Wait, what?!?
    07-03-11 06:39 PM
    Everything is bad for you in high levels. But the benefits of Fluoride far outweigh the negatives. People just need to live life and stop figuring out what is going to harm them long term.
    SCrid2000 likes this.
    07-05-11 08:39 AM
    Normally, chemicals are bad- and they normally don't belong in the human body.

Fluoride isn't needed to live, and if it's a man made chemical, our body's aren't designed to handle it over time.

However, I'm pretty uneducated in all this stuff-

I've always had this feeling that all this cancer, and obesity stuff stems from our feeble human bodies inability to handle all this drek we pump into our foods.

Chemicals and Preservatives in our foods, not to mention GMO's.

In short, I wouldn't worry about Fluoride as much as everything else we mass consume.
    07-08-11 04:57 PM
    Normally, chemicals are bad- and they normally don't belong in the human body.

Fluoride isn't needed to live, and if it's a man made chemical, our body's aren't designed to handle it over time.

However, I'm pretty uneducated in all this stuff-

I've always had this feeling that all this cancer, and obesity stuff stems from our feeble human bodies inability to handle all this drek we pump into our foods.

Chemicals and Preservatives in our foods, not to mention GMO's.

In short, I wouldn't worry about Fluoride as much as everything else we mass consume.
    Studies have linked fluoridated water to lower I.Qs in children. It was used by the nazis in concentration camps as a sedative to sedate the jews. It is the main ingredient in prozac, pesticides and rat poison which makes it a drug. Think of it as forced medicating society through tap water. Too much fluoride can cause dental fluorosis as well which disproportionately outweighs the benefits (if any) of fluoride. I agree that we have other concerns to worry about like genetically modified foods and planes that spray enormously toxic chemicals in air; I speak of chemtrails.

07-08-11 05:25 PM
    Everything is bad for you in high levels. But the benefits of Fluoride far outweigh the negatives. People just need to live life and stop figuring out what is going to harm them long term.
    The rate of tooth decay improved in La Salud, Cuba after they stopped water fluoridation.
    Caries prevalence after cessation of water fluorid... [Caries Res. 2000 Jan-Feb] - PubMed result

On page 62 it talks about how fluorine can replace hydroxyl ions.
    Fluorine in organic chemistry - Google Books

Teeth have calcified(Calcium) tissue called hydroxylapatite, which helps to give them strength. Fluorine(F) has the ability to replace the hydroxyl(OH) part of apatite which then becomes fluorapatite.

Hydroxylapatite ........ Ca5(PO4)3(OH)
    Fluorapatite ............. Ca5(PO4)3F

Bone and the pineal gland also have calcified tissue in which fluorapatite can form. There is no research that suggest that fluoride is good for your bones or pineal gland. This study, which was done on dead people, shows that fluoride has accumulated in their pineal gland.
    Fluoride deposition in the aged human pineal gland. [Caries Res. 2001 Mar-Apr] - PubMed result

Even if it was assumed that fluorapatite is good for teeth; the risk to bones and pineal gland remains.
    07-10-11 07:20 PM
    Ok, so don't intake any fluoride.
    Me myself, I'm not worried about it.
    We're all gonna die eventually anyway, that extra week of life in depends from not intaking fluoride isn't worth the hassle imo.
    07-10-11 10:35 PM

That "Idiocracy" movie keeps fulfilling itself like some horrible prophecy. It's not even funny anymore...
    Last edited by pixel8rberry; 07-11-11 at 01:18 PM.
    07-11-11 10:01 AM
    If someone thinks the benefits of fluoride out weights the risk than that doesn't make them stupid. There's a lot of information out there that says it's safe. I didn't think fluoridation was dangerous until recently.
    07-11-11 11:07 AM
    If someone thinks the benefits of fluoride out weights the risk than that doesn't make them stupid. There's a lot of information out there that says it's safe. I didn't think fluoridation was dangerous until recently.
    It was a comment related to the last sentence. I was going to write a long detailed reply but decided that the meme would accurately sum up my reaction.

I guess "facepalm" would have sufficed, but I couldn't find a good one.
    07-11-11 01:25 PM
    I plan on living life, long term- I don't want to die prematurely.

Given the health advances science has made, most human life has the potential of living a long term life.

Much at the expense of the planet most likely, if I might add.

Half the stuff on grocery store shelves, and fast food restaurants is a man made, slow acting poison.

Buying those things, and willingly eating them, or even worse, feeding them to your children, is an act of hatred.

If I plan to live a long term life, I need to consider the things that will effect me 10 years or 50 years from now.

Are you planning on living a short term life or something? Must be all that Fluoride.

/snark
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 07-12-11 at 10:55 AM.
    pixel8rberry likes this.
    07-12-11 10:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD