Now I'm feeling really ripped off after seeing the Kindle Fire at $199! Once it's rooted it will be off and running and it could leave my PB in the dust.

When will the two co-clowns in the RIM corner office see the light!
    09-28-11 09:48 AM
    Now I'm feeling really ripped off after seeing the Kindle Fire at $199! Once it's rooted it will be off and running and it could leave my PB in the dust.

Leave it in the dust, really? How so? The Nook is rooted, does that blow the PB in the dust? All the Android tabs are rooted (I have two of them) and they don't blow the PB in the dust.

Just don't understand what you mean. Price? Specs? Speed? I just don't see it.
    09-28-11 09:55 AM
    Not to mention serious security concerns. I don't need a cloud app determining what web site it thinks I'm going to next. And people complain about Facebook???
    09-28-11 10:03 AM
    Not to mention serious security concerns. I don't need a cloud app determining what web site it thinks I'm going to next. And people complain about Facebook???
    Good point. And I didn't see anywhere what version of Android it's running, but good luck getting it updated. Especially since they really hacked away at the Android UI.
    09-28-11 10:05 AM
    no mic and no camera? no thanks. if my friend want to buy them ill psycho them to add another 50 bucks to buy the playbook.
    npunk42 likes this.
    09-28-11 10:07 AM
    Not to mention my nook color on wifi has a like a 3hr battery life! We actually use our regular nook wifi more then our nook color. For internet fun we use the playbook to read books we use the nook wi-fi, and our color sits on our computer desk collecting dust.
    09-28-11 10:39 AM
    I like my Galaxy Tab, but I LOVE my PlayBook! I could care less about the Amazon Fire! I'd probably be more of a Nook guy myself, THAT's what I got my lady friend as a present last year! (Before I got her a PlayBook in August!)
    09-28-11 10:50 AM
    i see no threat what so ever...
    09-28-11 10:56 AM
    We were early adopters, so would shouldn't feel bad about paying too much. It goes with the territory.

What I feel bad about, though, is believing RIM's promises about what the PlayBook would be able to do and when it would be able to do it.

Now that Amazon is undercutting the PB by $300, I don't see how RIM can justify pouring any more money into this tablet.
    09-28-11 11:02 AM

You should have put more thought into why you wanted a tablet then.

Even with the Amazon Fire launched, I still prefer my playbook I do not want an Android OS. Plus the bridge feature that I am loving more and more...
    09-28-11 11:12 AM

While I don't feel the Fire to PB is an apples to apples comparsion, there is no doubt the Fire is going to sell big time. Amazon will sell millions of these tablets because Amazon has the ecosystem to support the tablet, which is non-existent for the PB. Also, the cloud service will make the tablet very easy for consumers to use and that's what consumers want. Of course, us BB users are more tech savy and regard security as a very important feature, but we aren't the vast majority of consumers. The Fire is going to sell like crazy. Don't doubt that for a minute. The price point is great, the ecosystem is solid (movies, books, music, shopping, and magazines), includes a browser and updates over the air. This is going to be a screaming homerun for Amazon.
    Mystic205 likes this.
    09-28-11 11:19 AM
    Mods, you might want to close this thread, there are others like it, and this is more of a rant then a discussion.

Don't see this thread going anywhere...
    NickA likes this.
    09-28-11 11:23 AM
    You can't compare it straight up to the PlayBook, it's a different type of device. Yeah the price is lower but it has less hardware - half the storage of the smallest PlayBook, no camera(s), bluetooth, gps, magnetometer, etc.

The Kindle Fire is poised to be a low cost media (music/movies/books) device and web browser, not a full fledged tablet.

I don't see it hurting the PlayBook much, but I do see it destroying the sales of off-brand cheapo tablets.
    09-28-11 11:30 AM

It's super stripped down and running v2.2 of Android. No cameras is one noted feature missing.
    09-28-11 11:32 AM
    Wow!.. it sure took them long enough to get a more potent kindle e-reader. For the price it gets a low-end android OS and no camera but it's pretty handy for some folks
    09-28-11 11:33 AM
    Mods, you might want to close this thread, there are others like it, and this is more of a rant then a discussion.

Don't see this thread going anywhere...
    How about a move to the non post count BB Rehab Forum? This way the OP and others can still blow off some steam if they want. But I agree it's a bunch of (to quote Judge Judy) "who shot John"
    09-28-11 12:14 PM

Are you seriously blaming RIM for forcing you to buy something? Where I'm from we have choices in how we spend money (except taxes!). If I feel ripped off my first step is to blame the guy that took out his wallet. But things must be different where you're from.
    09-28-11 12:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD