Hey all.
    I posted this in the 9700 forum with no results as of yet. I'll try this here.
    I have a bold, 9700, and like to stream music all day while at work (tunein radio). However, if I'm not drawing from an external source, we all know how draining that can be on our stock batteries. I am looking into the possibility of getting a 3.7v 6600Mah battery pack or multiples, and being able to plug this into the micro-usb plug on my bb. Would this draw power from this at this point?
    Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks
    Chris
    07-10-12 08:53 AM
    Once you hook up to external power, you are powered by that source.
    07-10-12 11:37 AM
    If I understand your question I would think it would work similar to plugging into
    a wall outlet where the USB power source becomes primary and also charges
    the dedicated (battery) power source.

I going to also state right off the bat that the likelihood of me being correct
    on this question is extremely low
    07-10-12 12:23 PM
    Amazingly...you have the right idea. When i am away from my desk i am moving around constantly and cannot be plugged into an AC source. I also noted that my wall charger has an output of 5V at a 700mA rate. I'm not sure if the 5V will trigger the bb to accept external power or not.
    The thoughts on this are that i can have an ample power source clipped to my belt, plugged into the bb to act as a main power draw. I believe this would be easier than having a 2nd bb battery and swapping it out after i drain the first battery. Hence avoiding the 10 minute start-up phase.
    07-10-12 01:26 PM
    I use an external battery source similar to this:

Powerful 6000mAh iphone battery extender for both the new ipad and Apple iphone 4s | NewTrent.com

Mine has 2 USB ports and can power/charge 2 devices at the same time. Many different sizes, easy to use and recharge.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-10-12 02:36 PM
    Trucky that might just work!

I'll look further into it...
    Thanks!
    07-10-12 03:11 PM
    i found many on tinydeal.com
    went for the 10000MaH unit with single usb output. i think that will work perfect. i almost went with a 6000MaH unit, but for $4 more, hopefully i'll get more for my $$
    thanks again all.
    07-11-12 10:08 AM
    Update us on how it works out.
    07-11-12 02:54 PM
    One would think, considering how much you're moving around, that this would make a much more efficient power source.....

07-12-12 12:07 AM
    One would think, considering how much you're moving around, that this would make a much more efficient power source.....

Click to view quoted image
    Been there, done that. problem is I find it too hard to keep the top of my head tilted into the wind. I'd much rather face directly and feel my ears flap.
    07-12-12 06:24 AM
    i found many on tinydeal.com
    went for the 10000MaH unit with single usb output. i think that will work perfect. i almost went with a 6000MaH unit, but for $4 more, hopefully i'll get more for my $$
    thanks again all.
    The prices have really dropped on those things. for what I paid for my 5000MaH just last year could get a 10k version today. You're gonna love not having to search for an outlet now.
    07-12-12 06:25 AM
    haha! good one! i considered solar also. i would have to have the solar panel up on my hat as well.
    07-12-12 10:32 AM
    *update*
    received the external power source the other day. charged it to capacity at home, brought it to work with me yesterday.
    basically it is about the size of an iphone, just a bit fatter. i keep it in my front pocket with the usb wire coming out and going to the phone. i went to work with only 68% battery life on my phone. plugged the external source in, it topped off my phone battery with streaming music on within 2 hours. i kept music streaming for 8 hours, with power coming only from the external pack. at this time i am going to drain the external pack down and recharge it on the weekends. it appears that it will have sufficient amount of charge to do this for a full week.
    07-19-12 07:48 AM
    Come to think about it, will that battery, if removed from the external powerhouse, even fit the 9900? I'm ubercurious to see if it even is the same size.

5000 mAh of power would last for a WEEK!
    07-24-12 11:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD