Here's my question, does the woman get to keep the ring?, if the woman calls it off should she give it back, if man calls it off should she get to keep it.

What are your thoughts on this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-09 04:05 AM
    If a woman calls it off...she should give it back...but if a man does it....we r suppose to get half.....lmao

07-30-09 04:35 AM
    It's a no win situation for guys.

If the guy calls it off, the guy's a ***** and she keeps the ring.
    If she calls it off, it's because the guy is a ***** and she still keeps the ring.

07-30-09 07:47 AM
    the way i see it-

if you bought the ring, it belongs to you. period. even if you gave it to her to wear temporarily until you have to buy her a bigger, better one (completely ridiculous IMO) you should still get it back.

i hope this is a hypothetical situation or involving one of your friends or something, sorry to hear about it.
    07-30-09 09:28 AM
    In either case she gets to keep it. It was given as a gift and as
    such you have no further claim to it.
    07-30-09 09:48 AM
    Here's my question, does the woman get to keep the ring?, if the woman calls it off should she give it back, if man calls it off should she get to keep it.

It depends on the circumstances of the breakup, and the two people involved. An engagement ring is given, with the intent of marriage to the recipient. If the marriage is not going to happen, the ring should be returned.

However, there are so many variables. I see this scenario often, and it's tricky. I had one couple, where the guy cheated on his fiance and the wedding was called off. The tackhead guy actually had the nerve to ask for the ring back. The bride refused, because of all the expenses she and her family had incurred planning the wedding. So, she sold the ring to get some of the money back. Had the split been amicable, the outcome might have been different.

Again, it depends on the circumstances of the breakup, not necessarily who called it off.
    07-30-09 09:50 AM
    Gift, to show love. No returning gifts, that's why the engagement ring doesn't cost as miuch as the wedding ring!

07-30-09 09:54 AM

I certainly dont have any legal backing for my understanding, however I seem to remember hearing that only after married that there is no obligation to return it.

As stated above, I think it depends on the circumstance and the emotions fueling the situation. Personally, if I called off the engagement, I would only feel right returning it. However as a woman, and knowing women, I can also see where if HE calls it off due to something such as cheating.......alot of decisions could be based on spite.
    07-30-09 10:00 AM
    Technically the ring belongs to the purchaser because its given under the condition that a marriage takes place. The only way an ebgagement ring is suppose to belong to the female is if they are married.

07-30-09 01:41 PM
    She doesn't have to return it in either circumstance if she doesn't want to.

That's what the blind guy gets for wanting to marry in the first place.
    07-30-09 01:54 PM
    make sure you get it back, then turn the ring in for money, use the money for beer....jk

but seriously i havent herd of a woman giving back a ring
    07-30-09 02:19 PM
    I gave my ring back, the split was not civil. I did not want a constant reminder of a failed relationship, and I didnt want the money either. Wanted a clean break.Guess it really depends on the woman..
    07-30-09 09:08 PM
    I gave my ring back, the split was not civil. I did not want a constant reminder of a failed relationship, and I didnt want the money either. Wanted a clean break.Guess it really depends on the woman..
    It sure does. Your sitauation was an exception to the rule. Most women wouldn't give the ring back.

07-31-09 12:01 AM
    I would of gave the ring back too. I wouldnt want it staring me in the face everyday.
    07-31-09 12:17 AM
    As many have stated, if the girl breaks it off, she should give it back. If the guy does, she should do whatever she wants with it. Then again, if a girl breaks it off, she could consider the ring a gift and keep it.

I'm just sayin'...
    08-01-09 06:53 PM
    no she doesnt get to keep it. no matter what the reason is for the break up. all of the pathetic money hungry broads on hear have no clue. you can actually google that same question and you find a artical where a guy and girl went through some ****ty break up and it went to a court of law. the broad had to give the ring back because according to the courts the ring would have been hers had they gotton married and then divorced but because the never got married it was still his. so again dont buy into any of the bull**** the chicks are trying to tell you. they are wrong. its yours!
    08-03-09 02:05 AM
    I was just asking, because I recently became engaged, now I'm not saying its not going to work out, but was just curious about it

Thanks for the replys, my take is this, man gives ring to women on the basis of marriage, and a promise to marry on both sides. If the woman calls it off or cheats, ring should go back to the guy, if guy calls it off or cheats, female should keep it. But it depends on the people involved too. I think in the end the ring should go back to the guy, since no mareuge took place

08-03-09 02:39 AM
    If the guy breaks it off, she should keep the ring. If she breaks it off, she should return the ring. Other than the value of the ring, why would you want to keep an engagement ring from someone you decided you didn't want to marry?

However, the guy should be prepared to not have the ring returned if she breaks it off. No point making an unhappy situation worse.
    08-03-09 07:49 AM
    IMO, it should be given back no matter what. Why should she walk away with $5000 (to throw out a number) if the marriage didn't happen?

Again, that's my opinion. I make no claim to the factuality of the statement.
    08-03-09 08:06 AM
    Engagement ring is NOT a gift!

It is gvn as sign of an intended commitment (engagement ring) aka pre-marriage ring & REGARDLESS of who cls it off it goes back 2 purchaser whn marriage does not occur.

In MY opinion as a woman- ANY woman that keeps an engagement ring whn marriage is cld off is either (a) being spiteful & wl prob sell or pawn it 4 nxt 2 nothing cuz it cd nt hld ne sentimental value 2 her-unless (b) she hs some closure issues & cnnt c relationship as over.

Ladies gv back the ring & let him return it or consider the fact that he wd be REAL a DOG 2 gv the ring 2 sum1 else & count ur lucky stars cuz divorce cn gt UGLY-btr 2 end it now rather thn later whn attorneys & maybe even kids r n the picture.

If promise of marriage does nt happen thn engagement/promise ring shd go back 2 buyer!

GIFTS do nt hv conditions attached I.e. Mariage goes with gift of this ring?!?! No!

We all experience heartache & sometimes heartbreak-no 1 nds ring 2 remind them of what ALMOST happened! Ladies give it back & count it as a learning experience & move on.

08-03-09 11:25 PM
    IMO... Engagements shd be @ least a year (or more)... Tk time 2 gt 2 knw some1 b4 u ask them 2 marry u... Askin who gts 2 kp ring whn u jus asked some1 2 marry u suggests u maybe rushin things r unsure if u r rdy?

Ladies b4 u hv ur family spend a fortune on a wedding try 2 gt 2 knw person u r marrying as well as u possibly can b4 u say yes or accept ring.

This hs become microwave world where ppl rush rush rush & marriage is WORK & is 1 of last things u shd RUSH N2 & that goes 4 BOTH parties nvolved.

You spend @ least 4yrs n college learning ur ntended career but wnt 2 hitch ur wagon w some1 u hv knwn 4 short time?

If the person u pln 2 marry is doin things u cnnt live with it is sign 2 tk it slow. If it is drivin u CrAzY now u nt gonna mk it 10... 20... 30yrs or more-may nt mk it 2 wedding day!

SLOW DOWN-Real love cn stand the test of time. Only male/female u cn change is in diapers! Only person u hv power 2 chng is yourself.

08-03-09 11:52 PM
    Reason, Season and Lifetime

People always come into your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. When you figure out which it is, you know exactly what to do...

When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed outwardly or inwardly.

They have come to assist you through a difficulty, or to provide you with guidance and support, to aid you physically, emotionally, or even spiritually.

They may seem like a godsend to you, and they are. They are there for the reason you need them to be.
    Then, without any wrong doing on your part or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end.

Sometimes they die. Sometimes they just walk away. Sometimes they act up or out and force you to take a stand.

What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled; their work is done. The prayer you sent up has been answered and it is now time to move on.

When people come into your life for a SEASON, *it is because your turn has come to share, grow, or learn.

They may bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh. They may teach you something you have never done. They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy. Believe it! It is real!

But, only for a season. And like Spring turns to Summer and Summer to Fall,* the season eventually ends.

LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons; those things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation.

Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person/people (anyway); and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas in your life.

08-03-09 11:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD