I posted this on another forum and thoughtI would share here as well

okay before I go on my rant a bit of background on the whole situation.

I was recently on craigslist looking for BB's get them cheap sometimes and I came across a BB8830 for Sprint for sale, so I contacted seller and asked for ESN/IMEI so I could research device. ( don't wanna buy stolen stuff). Contacted Sprint and so far okay even had a respected BBF member look into it and same result so I go ahead and purchase device. Then I post it on ebay for sale and BBF after checking with Sprint a 3rd time, all good.

Buyer uses buy it now option for a fair amount of money YAAAY. Buyer contacts me next day turns out the BB8830 has now been reported stolen!! Yikes so I immediately refund buyer their money.

RANT/

So I contact Sprint via customer care to try and get BB back to its rightful owner.

CC: how can I help you sir?
    Me: Yes I am trying to return a BB device to its rightful owner, it is a Sprint BB8830
    CC: what do you want me to do about it?

(kidding me right)

Me: I can give you the ESN to look up customer and give you my info to have its owner contact me so they can get their property back. (i give the ESN)
    CC: Sir that BB has been reported stolen and the owner has a new device. No point in contacting them.
    (kidding me right? I'm trying to do the proper thing right?)

So after I hit this dead end I figured I would try a store in my area.

ME: Yes I have a BB for Sprint and I would like to get it back to its owner.
    CC: sure thing sir one moment
    (I guess he thought I was on hold as I could hear the entire conversation.) "yo this guy wants to return a lost/stolen BB" ..."have him bring it in man we can sell it on ebay"

( GET THE F%^& OUT)

CC: Sir just bring it in we will take care of it!

ME: Not likely you might sell it on ebay!! ( I hung up)

All I am trying to do is get this BB back to its rightful owner, is it that hard?

I finally decide to go into a store and ask for a manager.....Rep asks why? I repeat my request to see a manager.

Manager comes out I explain the entire situation and my efforts to this point!

I give him the ESN he goes to computer comes back says he can help. I give my info to have owner call me. Manager asked if I could leave there and I told him of conversation I overheard so that wasn't an option despite his assurances.

Owner contacts me... he wasn't to friendly either.

We made arrangements to meet so I could give him his BB back. Not asking for anything (I paid 125 for it) i don't want anything back I just want to do whats right.

He never showed up! I called the next day no answer I left message. I have called each day since. made arrangements again I was to bring it to his work.....guess what not there!!

Really how long am I supposed to wait to get this device back!!!!

No wonder people don't return things it is **** to do!!!

Contacted him today and spoke with him

"you are probably the guy who stole it!"

Yeah I stole it and want to return it to you!! absurd!

" Look sir I just want to get your property back to you" I bought it off of craigslist for 125 I am not asking for any compensation I just want to get it back to you."

"I don't really see the point as I have replaced it already and it is useless to anyone else"

and he hung up!!

Wow just trying to do the right thing folks!!!

So what do I do now? any thoughts?
    11-09-07 08:41 PM
    I was gonna ask you what are you going to do with it Z? Sell it for parts? I mean, you have done everything-- you did the right thing. What else can you do?
    11-09-07 08:44 PM
    here is where it all stand as of now!!!

Well I tried contacting asurion!

Kept getting put on hold for long time and I was at work so I never got thru.

I then went to polive dept. Explained the situation. I turned over the BB to them. Provided the craigslist add that I bought it from. Gave them the sellers cell number and a copy of all correspondence between me and the seller! They are going to investigate. They are also going to try and contact the owner.

This thing just got bigger the original seller from craigslist could be in some deep pooo!

Cop said I did all I could and they would keep me informed of what is happening. Glad I am not that guy.

Ill try to keep everyone updated.

The BB is now evidence in a criminal investigation owner may not get it back for a bit if at all.
    Thanks for the replies!

Officer said it was a good move not to sell it! Glad I didn't.

I got hosed for 125 but I feel great about doing all I could.
    11-09-07 08:46 PM
    You know, I think this was never really stolen. The owner probably needed to get a brand new one since he was already paying insurance and might as well use it? And sold it and then later claimed that it was stolen thereby it took awhile for it to be reported as stolen. He had to make sure that it was sold first before making a call. That's just my take.
    11-09-07 08:50 PM
    I mean how come everytime you called, the IMEI was cleared.
    11-09-07 08:51 PM
    well it is in the police hands now. and if thats the case it is fraud and he may be in some deep deep trouble
    11-09-07 08:55 PM
    Wow.
    You went way out of your way.
    Pay it forward.

Doing the right thing is harder to do I suppose. But. Atleast there a few great people left in this world.
    And go figure.
    They're on crackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-07 09:01 PM
    teranceh,

where did you get your avatar it is awesome!!!
    11-09-07 09:03 PM
    Wow.
    You went way out of your way.
    Pay it forward.

Doing the right thing is harder to do I suppose. But. Atleast there a few great people left in this world.
    And go figure.
    They're on crack.

Great people left in this world on crack? just messing. *trying to brighten up my dearest friend Z*

Z, that was really awesome. Stick with your Pearl Z and I'll give your Brand New THB Comfort Cradle for Christmas! My word.
    11-09-07 09:07 PM
    Great people left in this world on crack? just messing. *trying to brighten up my dearest friend Z*

Z, that was really awesome. Stick with your Pearl Z and I'll give your Brand New THB Comfort Cradle for Christmas! My word.

Im gonna hold ya to this CC!!!!

Keeping my PEARL now!!!
    11-11-07 01:47 PM
    Good for you - you did the right thing!
    11-11-07 06:12 PM
    I applaud your actions as well. I have a question a little off topic. Getting my BB stolen is one of my biggest fears, I was wondering if there was a program that I could dl that would be able to use my 8310's gps to pinpoint its exact location. I had BB tracker but the thing about that was that you had to manually turn it on and if by mistake you left it on and forgot to close the program your battery would be dead very quickly. Hopefully someone can help. Oh by the way I have att.

11-18-07 08:11 PM
    Z, any update on this?
    12-01-07 12:00 PM
    Yes

As a matter of fact yes!! The original thief has been caught!! so i may actually be able to get money back WOOOHOOOO!!!!
    12-01-07 12:05 PM
    So who's the thief? The original owner ?
    12-01-07 12:08 PM
    You have a lot of time and patience. I would not have gone thru all that trouble.
    And I wasn't going to be calling the owner so many times. If he's not intrested in seeking his own property then why should I.

12-01-07 01:29 PM
    Congrats on doing the right thing. I hope the bring charges against the crook and get your money back. Score one for the good guys!

12-09-07 06:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD