Forgive me but i am way out of the PC loop, i haven't had one in almost 3 years, just my work PC which stays at work.

My wife's car got broke into the Friday before christmas, stole our GPS and a boat load of my DVDs, not all of them but a good chunk. So with this new netbook i got i was thinking about getting a DVD Burner to copy !!! MY !!! remaining DVD's and taking the copies with me and leaving my official branded DVD's @ home.

here is my question :
    So i buy a single stand alone DVD burner and hook it up to my Netbook, pop my DVD in it. It loads to my Netbook, i put the blank in and it puts the DVD on the blank, and leaves my hard drive clean, i don't want chew up my HDD.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by mjneid; 01-04-10 at 02:35 PM.
    01-04-10 02:33 PM
    Depends on the DVD encryption first of all, you may have to "crack" the encryption in order to copy the DVDs.

But hypothetically, the answer to your question is yes. You should be able to copy from the netbook drive the the external burner if everything works correctly leaving your HDD completely out of the equation. In other words, you may not even need to save the data on the HDD...
    01-04-10 02:47 PM
    A cheaper way would be to use DVDFab which has a 30 day free trial to actually
    burn the DVD's to the hard drive. I know you don't want to do that but I'm sure in
    30 days you could rip a ton of DVD's onto there, then after that use whatever
    program you need to burn them onto the blank DVD.

Then just delete whatever you saved on the hard drive after you've burned them.
    01-04-10 02:54 PM
    so if i buy a DVD Burner, hook it up, install all of the drivers, and pop my old DVD into it i still "might" not be able to burn em.....

man... that really sucks... i was hoping it would be that in depth...i was hoping to pop and play sorta speak...

01-04-10 02:59 PM
    A cheaper way would be to use DVDFab which has a 30 day free trial to actually
    burn the DVD's to the hard drive. I know you don't want to do that but I'm sure in
    30 days you could rip a ton of DVD's onto there, then after that use whatever
    program you need to burn them onto the blank DVD.

Then just delete whatever you saved on the hard drive after you've burned them.
    from their web site

"About the evaluation period
    All of our software is distributed as shareware. You can install and try them for 30 days. During this evaluation period, the software is fully functional. To continue using the software after the 30-day evaluation period, you should pay a registration fee.
    "

i wonder if i'll have to do that ....

and they have this from their web site...

http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

the reason i am looking into a DVD burner is my NetBook doesn't have a DVD/CD-ROM drive on it... it's not a laptop... it's one of the little ones.

Last edited by mjneid; 01-04-10 at 03:06 PM.
    01-04-10 03:03 PM
    Try Cheetah DVD Burner. 15 day free trial but you can re-download it over and over.

Regular DVD's aren't legally burnable, hence the encryption. So you may need another program to crack the DVD before it's copy-able, so-to-speak.

Not legal but definitely do-able. And I wouldn't feel bad if I were in your shoes, at least you paid for the DVDs. You'll just have to do a little research to figure out which program you can use to break the encryption and burn them. I'd tell you but I don't know how.

I know how to burn them which is the easy part.

EDIT: I'm not familiar with the program forever mentioned, it might be able to do everything you need.
    Last edited by KillYouWithMyMind; 01-04-10 at 03:10 PM.
    01-04-10 03:06 PM
    from their web site

"About the evaluation period
    All of our software is distributed as shareware. You can install and try them for 30 days. During this evaluation period, the software is fully functional. To continue using the software after the 30-day evaluation period, you should pay a registration fee.
    "

i wonder if i'll have to do that ....

and they have this from their web site...

Fastest DVD Copy Software | Best DVD Decrypter from DVDFab

the reason i am looking into a DVD burner is my NetBook doesn't have a DVD/CD-ROM drive on it... it's not a laptop... it's one of the little ones.

I didn't have to pay that fee. I used the program mid-year so I don't know if anything has changed since then. But all I did was choose the exact software that I wanted it and was able to download it and it expired after those 30 days.

Try Cheetah DVD Burner. 15 day free trial but you can re-download it over and over.

Regular DVD's aren't legally burnable, hence the encryption. So you may need another program to crack the DVD before it's copy-able, so-to-speak.

Not legal but definitely do-able. And I wouldn't feel bad if I were in your shoes, at least you paid for the DVDs. You'll just have to do a little research to figure out which program you can use to break the encryption and burn them. I'd tell you but I don't know how.

EDIT: I'm not familiar with the program forever mentioned, it might be able to do everything you need.
    All the purchased DVD's that I ripped didn't give me any trouble at all with DVDfab. I think it's more of a if you purchased it then you have the right to do what you'd like with it as far as ripping it yourself to a different format. Of course selling copies would be illegal lol

That program worked pretty good for me since it has the pre-set settings of
    how you would like them formatted. I formatted them into mobile form and the
    videos are perfect on my iPhone.
    01-04-10 03:18 PM

Yea it looks like the freeware that DVDFab has will do what i want. I just want to make backups of mine so i do loose a couple hundred dollars worth of movies again...

01-04-10 03:23 PM
    I didn't have to pay that fee. I used the program mid-year so I don't know if anything has changed since then. But all I did was choose the exact software that I wanted it and was able to download it and it expired after those 30 days.

All the purchased DVD's that I ripped didn't give me any trouble at all with DVDfab. I think it's more of a if you purchased it then you have the right to do what you'd like with it as far as ripping it yourself to a different format. Of course selling copies would be illegal lol

That program worked pretty good for me since it has the pre-set settings of
    how you would like them formatted. I formatted them into mobile form and the
    videos are perfect on my iPhone.
    After it expired were you able to use it still ?

01-04-10 03:26 PM
    After it expired were you able to use it still ?

No way bro lol
    01-04-10 03:31 PM
    that's what i was a-fear'd of... The reason i ask that is the .rar unzipper says it is on a 30 day trial ... bu that trail last forever... it never implodes.

01-04-10 03:36 PM
    I'll have to try this DVDFab... I've never tried to actually burn a DVD I own so I didn't know the process involved. I just assumed it was illegal to burn them...
    01-04-10 03:42 PM
    I'll have to try this DVDFab... I've never tried to actually burn a DVD I own so I didn't know the process involved. I just assumed it was illegal to burn them...
    I'm sure it is.. .. .. most DVDs say any coping of the DVD's is strickly forbidden. but if you are recording the movie portion of the DVD you aren't exactly "coping" the DVD.

01-04-10 03:46 PM
    Seriously if you travel you should buy a 500GB portable harddrive, you could rip your movies to the hard drive and store them there, then just view the movies from the hard drive rather then bringing DVDs around with you.

Western Digital also makes a really cool tool that allows you to plug a HDD into it, and plug it into a TV and play any video's on the HDD

lots of way better options then buring DVD's which is slow and tiresom
    01-04-10 03:57 PM
    Seriously if you travel you should buy a 500GB portable harddrive, you could rip your movies to the hard drive and store them there, then just view the movies from the hard drive rather then bringing DVDs around with you.

Western Digital also makes a really cool tool that allows you to plug a HDD into it, and plug it into a TV and play any video's on the HDD

lots of way better options then buring DVD's which is slow and tiresom
    true but the thing is i want to be able to pop them into a DVD player from time to time, not everyone i know has the hook ups for me to plug my netbook into their monitor/TV/Screen. I just want to make a DVD back up so i can take the DVD to family member houses and such... oh well...

i'll most likely end up trying the DVDFab and testing it out.

& with havin a 7wk old... i spend alot of time at home anymore.... slow and tiresom would be welcomed....

01-04-10 04:12 PM
    Have fun man,

I know I thought about transfering my favourite 20 movies to DVD's for back up and preventing damage, and after 3 days, and not even being half done, I just bit the bullet and got a portable hard drive.

Now I am working on making a Media computer to put ALL of my 900+ DVD's onto for home use.
    01-04-10 05:04 PM
    Well i picked up my DVD burner last night, bought one made to work with a Windows 7 Netbook, no external power supply needed, and copied my first movie. The DVD burner came with some software that i haven't played with yet, it looks like it takes PC style media and puts it into a DVD ,home use, format. and i downloaded the DVDfab freeware and it worked perfectly for me...

and as far as 20 DVD in 3 days, it took me a little over 47 minuets to copy one dvd, i'm happy with that since i'm just making back up of the movies i take on the road.

01-05-10 07:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD