So everytime I see a piano, I think about how cool it would be to hop on and completely bring the house down with that theme song for Peanuts.

For those of you who know how to play, is that an advanced skill song? About how many lessons would I need if I had to start from scratch because Ive never taken lessons?

Or can you hire a piano teacher to just teach you to play one specific song. Because thats all I want to know how to play. The theme song to Peanuts

Thank you
    10-18-09 01:11 AM
    I used to play when I was younger. Took lessons for a few months but didn't progress much due to lack of practice. Then I sat down and started teaching myself to play by ear and that's a skill that is very helpful for me now since I play guitar.

But it depends on your incentive to play. If you work hard at it you can probably learn in a matter of weeks. Some people take years. It just depends on how musical inclined you are.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-09 01:15 AM
    I used to play when I was younger. Took lessons for a few months but didn't progress much due to lack of practice. Then I sat down and started teaching myself to play by ear and that's a skill that is very helpful for me now since I play guitar.

But it depends on your incentive to play. If you work hard at it you can probably learn in a matter of weeks. Some people take years. It just depends on how musical inclined you are.

well...hmmm. Here is my musical rap sheet:

I am tone deaf and have no pitch. Remember Will Ferrells SNL character Jacob Silg? The "I can not control the volume of my voice" guy? yeah, thats how I sing. Like a flat, monotone songbird am I.

I am pretty darn good at Guitar Hero.

In 5th grade I was forced to play an instrument. I picked the clarinet. Mom when buying me my clarinet said "if you lose this you are done" (because I had a tendency to lose things). I hated the clarinet and band and begged mom to quit and she said no. Then I remember what she told me. So on the way home from school, I tossed it in a culvert and convinced her I lost it on the bus. Yeah I was an evil child.

I am a results driven person and a quick learner. I really like the Peanuts theme.

So, any ideas?
    Last edited by Mavis Fesselmeyer; 10-18-09 at 01:27 AM.
    10-18-09 01:24 AM
    Since your drive is strong try this: go to youtube and type in how to play that song. I'm sure there's a tutorial somewhere. Youtube is where I learned to play the guitar. I hate lessons.

10-18-09 01:32 AM
    Lessons are good because it corrects your technique. Anyone can play the piano but technique is important.

I learnt the piano when I was 18, it was my second instrument but I love it.
    Mind you, if you just want to play the theme song to Peanuts, go on Youtube.

If you have more of a passion, take lessons because there's so much more to piano and I mean tutors will make you play scales and all that.

I wouldn't ask how many lessons it would take you to play piano because it also depends how much you practise.

You can get tutors who teach for fun, and then serious ones.

I say maybe find one who teaches contemporary piano, rather than classical piano, if you want to play comtemporary music because it is way different

10-18-09 07:29 AM
    I played for three years or so when I was about 10 but once I hit my teen years I traded it out for drums...
    Peanuts shouldn't be that hard but if you have never played before....
    Could be difficult.
    10-18-09 09:27 AM
    IMO, having been a music teacher, no should learn an instrument just to "play one song." It's like not learning how to drive in reverse because you just want to go forward.

At the very least, learn the basics of playing, rhythm, and reading, and a bit of theory, so that if you decide you want to learn the Super Mario theme as well, you can do it easier. Fortunately for you, playing piano makes tone-deafness somewhat irrelevant because you don't need to tune.

Buy one of those "Learning to play" books for kids (cause they're very simple, and not boring like the ones for adults) and hire a teacher or a friend proficient in piano.

I played piano for several years and hated it (was a requirement for violin), but now I'm struggling to get it back because I want to be like my friend who can listen to Lady GaGa and cover it on the piano just like that.
    10-18-09 12:00 PM
    Lady Gaga, wow. At a place here called The Piano Lounge, they play the dualling piano version of Baby Got Back and Shook Me All Night Long which were pretty awesome.

I think trying to self teach myself via Youtube,etc isn't going to happen due to one key problem...I has no piano.

I suppose I could sit down at the piano in the sitting area of Von Maur near the escalators and practice on theirs, but I have a feeling I'd get kicked out.

10-18-09 02:54 PM
    I suppose I could sit down at the piano in the sitting area of Von Maur near the escalators and practice on theirs, but I have a feeling I'd get kicked out.
    I remember when I was 8 at a family reunion that was at a Double Tree suites hotel I believe they had a piano in the dining area and I was ripping some riffs on it, then my cousin who's been playing long before my time came and we did a improv duet, being so young, everyone was amazed. I wish I didn't give up on the piano.

Just remember this, when you start an instrument: don't stop. The more you practice the better you get.
    10-18-09 02:58 PM
    I so want to be able to rip some riffs on an instrument.

But after I learn to play Peanuts

10-18-09 03:01 PM
    I so want to be able to rip some riffs on an instrument.

But after I learn to play Peanuts

I'm sure you'll learn soon enough, you just need somewhere to start, how about investing in a keyboard?
    10-18-09 03:04 PM
    Decent keyboards are about $100, not too expensive and somewhat portable. Just don't go for the "roll-up" portable ones, not good to learn on because your form and posture will get all screwed up.

Good luck!! Let us know how you progress, and don't hesitate to ask for help if you need it .

And yeah, if you want to hear some of the cool covers my friend does, check out !
    10-18-09 05:13 PM
    hmmm, for the time being, I would have access to 1970's electric organ. The double decker kind with 2 keyboards and when you turn it on, it humms like a typewriter. Do they have the same keyboard layout as a piano? Just for practice purposes? Actually, an electric organ jam of Peanuts sounds kind of fly.
    10-19-09 09:45 AM
    Do you know who does that wonderful Peanuts music? It's Vince Guaraldi, a jazz musician most know for doing the Peanuts soundtracks. His signature song is Linus & Lucy ...

The Official Site of Vince Guaraldi Welcome
    10-19-09 10:14 AM
    I played the trumpet for about 3 years, while in school. I initially wanted to learn so I could play some killer jazz. 3 years into it I really only learned one thing... I have NO musical talent. At all.

Good luck, Jen.
    10-19-09 10:52 AM
    I played the trumpet for about 3 years, while in school. I initially wanted to learn so I could play some killer jazz. 3 years into it I really only learned one thing... I have NO musical talent. At all.

Good luck, Jen.
    Thanks. I am a little leery of my own ability, or lack thereof, to actually play an instrument. I can MOVE to the musics no doubt, but playing....errr

I wonder though if Id be able to be in a piano recital.....a bunch of little kids, then me. ha!
    10-19-09 11:08 AM
    It's really a matter of motor skills.

If you're good at Guitar Hero, you should be able to learn to play the song. Some people are completely hopeless but I think you've got a shot.

The tone deafness could be a problem though. I think the best way for you to learn would be learn the notes first, where they are on the piano, and then work on the rhythm. Since you've got some rhythm, that should be the easiest part for you though that song does have a kind of strange rhythm to play with both hands.

I play the bass (slappa da bass) and it was fairly easy for me to go to the piano. I'm not great by any means but I can sit down and play something that sounds OK.
    10-19-09 11:18 AM

If you're good at Guitar Hero, you should be able to learn to play the song. Some people are completely hopeless but I think you've got a shot.

The tone deafness could be a problem though. I think the best way for you to learn would be learn the notes first, where they are on the piano, and then work on the rhythm. Since you've got some rhythm, that should be the easiest part for you though that song does have a kind of strange rhythm to play with both hands.
    I play the bass (slappa da bass) and it was fairly easy for me to go to the piano. I'm not great by any means but I can sit down and play something that sounds OK.
    yeah, I thought about that. there are parts where its like 2 different songs going on at once each on a different hand. Its like a 'rub your tummy and tap your head' kind of maneuver Im not sure I could do.
    10-19-09 11:21 AM

Oh, Robo... You KNOW she's got rhythm. She's always talking about how she "drops it like it's hawt" on the weekends.
    10-19-09 11:23 AM
    Oh, Robo... You KNOW she's got rhythm. She's always talking about how she "drops it like it's hawt" on the weekends.
    haha! you make it sound like I go out and evacuate the dance floor every weekend........those days are long behind me. I still got it, but only break it down once in a great while, and usually only after some social lubrication *hiccup*
    10-19-09 11:25 AM
    haha! you make it sound like I go out and evacuate the dance floor every weekend........those days are long behind me. I still got it, but only break it down once in a great while, and usually only after some social lubrication *hiccup*
    True story. Not to go all "Off Topic" or anything, but have you seen some of the posts around here lately. Damn, some threads are really getting good. Is it because you're back, Jen? I think so.
    10-19-09 11:29 AM
    True story. Not to go all "Off Topic" or anything, but have you seen some of the posts around here lately. Damn, some threads are really getting good. Is it because you're back, Jen? I think so.
    I think its due to F-ing Teamwork!
    10-19-09 11:32 AM
    I think its due to F-ing Teamwork!
    Whatever it's called, it's nice to see some wholesale renovating going on around these parts. It's time that people understand that it's "OK" to have fun here.
    10-19-09 11:34 AM
    I have deduced this as well. Mavis just spices things up for us here in OT.
    10-19-09 11:35 AM
    Whatever it's called, it's nice to see some wholesale renovating going on around these parts. It's time that people understand that it's "OK" to have fun here.
    I have deduced this as well. Mavis just spices things up for us here in OT.
    I love you guys.

Although I may be partly to blame for requiring Mods to up their blood pressure meds dosage
    10-19-09 02:01 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD