Okay so my girlfriend and I are going on our first cruise in a few weeks. We are both excited about it,and we got a pretty good deal for a stateroom on the 8th deck with a balcony. but we dont really know what to expect. We are going to the bahamas. So I was just curious to see who has been on a cruise and if anyone could tell me what to expect.

Thanks
    11-19-09 03:51 PM
    I've never been on a cruise but wold like to some day. I heard they can be pretty wild.
    11-19-09 04:22 PM
    I was just watching a show about the disney cruise and its more for adults then the kids LOL they look like so much fun !!
    11-19-09 04:30 PM
    Okay so my girlfriend and I are going on our first cruise in a few weeks. We are both excited about it,and we got a pretty good deal for a stateroom on the 8th deck with a balcony. but we dont really know what to expect. We are going to the bahamas. So I was just curious to see who has been on a cruise and if anyone could tell me what to expect.

Thanks
    I LOVE cruising. I have been on plenty of cruises. I am VERY familiar with Royal Caribbean, which line are you using?
    11-19-09 09:09 PM
    With that room you will have a great time. Take a ferry over to Paradise, check out Atlantis especially the reef, and rent a scooter for the day. You'll have a ball, and maybe find a tucked away spot to *cough cough* have some fun.

WAPers do it With A Passion

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-09 10:18 PM
    I took my wife and daughter on a Carnival cruise a couple of years ago and we had a great time.

A couple of thoughts:

1) Are either of you succeptible at all to seasickness? If so, consider visting your doctor and getting prescription for the patch. I don't know if mine worked or not, as I didn't get sick. We had slightly rough water one day and I was fine (point of reference...watching the teacups at disneyworld gets me nauseous). This time of year you could have some rought seas so you may want to consider this.

2) Are you guys big alcohol drinks or occasional? If not big drinkers, consider getting a "soda card". You pat a set amount and have free soda while on the boat. Alcohol gets very expensive. We ended up just having an occasional drink. The savings we got on our soda consumption balanced the few alcoholic drinks.

3) Don't forget to brings tons of sunscreen.

4) Plan on being back to the boat for your dinners (given that this is your first cruise). We often did not get back for dinner (we had an early seating time), and we wished we had to meet the folks seated at our table.

5) Find out, if you can, if the boat will be docking at your ports of call or if they have to anchor and then "tender" you in. If you are tendered in, plan on the extra time it will take you to get on/off the boat into your touring/excusion plans.

Bottom line, just have fun, relax, don't worry about "having to do anything", even the stuff I suggested. We booked a 4 night cruise as our first cruise, given that we didn't know if we would enjoy it. 2 hours into the cruise, we wished we had booked a 7 nighter.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions you don't want to post herein.
    11-20-09 07:49 AM
    Been on 3 of them, all on Carnival. EAT!!!! Pack your own booze, and you can drink in your room, I have never had a problem with the stewerds finding out, just dont be a bonehead about it. Use your room service alot, its free also, you will be surprised at what a good tip will do! like lobster in the middle of the night....
    11-20-09 08:14 AM
    That's true about the booze. I should have brought a bottle of rum on with me to go with all of the soda on our soda cards........
    11-20-09 12:05 PM
    I've never been on a cruise but wold like to some day. I heard they can be pretty wild.
    I went on a cruise when I was 17 and it was lifechanging.
    The water is amazing like said before as soon as you're there you never want to leave.
    11-20-09 12:14 PM
    I avoid cruises like the plague.

When I was little our Cruise ships engine caught fire and we were on lifeboats for 3 days.

Never again!

But, of course, this very very rarely happens.

It just won't happen to me again, because I'm terrified of boats and water now.
    11-20-09 12:42 PM
    I avoid cruises like the plague.

When I was little our Cruise ships engine caught fire and we were on lifeboats for 3 days.

Never again!

But, of course, this very very rarely happens.

It just won't happen to me again, because I'm terrified of boats and water now.
    Yeah there were also those Disney cruises where everyone got sick too...
    11-20-09 12:46 PM
    Well to answer some of these...

Evied: We are going on Carnival (the Pride to be specific)

BigBadWulf: The ship actually makes a stop in Atlantis and we are going there for the day to check everything out, I think that will be pretty fun

jlb21: My girlfriend get sea sick sometimes, but only in rough weather. We dont drink a lot, but when we do drink I have more then she does, one because i can drink more and two she drinks tequlia so it hits a little harder then beer. For dinner we have the late dinner (8:15 i believe)

I know on Carnival, but it might be true for other cruises, that you can bring one bottle of wine per person, but I dont drink wine, i would love to bring a bottle of Cabo Wabo Tequila, but i dont think that is possible.

Thanks everyone for your input. If anyone has anything else let me know.
    11-20-09 12:58 PM
    I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself. I went on a cruise when I was 17 (8 years ago) don't remember the cruise line or ship name but it was a pretty big one, I think it was 9 flights...

Anyway, I highly recommend the soda card as well. Perfect for when you do decide to drink if you need to mix or chase anything.

Also highly recommend the motin sickness medication for your wife. I personally don't get sea sick but ALOT of people on the ship were pretty uneasy the whole time.

I think everything's been said, I hope you guys have a good time.
    11-20-09 01:57 PM
    It's great that you got the later dinner seating time. The 8:15 will give you more time to do stuff before having to get back to the boat or if at sea while on the boat......etc....
    11-20-09 02:26 PM
    My cruise experience was great and I have one piece of advice for you that worked for me...sneak liquor in your suitcase (e.g. Rum).... And get a soda pass...it will save you so much money that would have been reserved for alcohol on the ship (assuming you drink). As far as motion sickness, this was a non factor as I don't get sea sick. I think my gf brought some over the counter meds for sea sickness just in case. That said, you'll have a blast! Enjoy!

11-25-09 06:30 AM
    geez i thought we'd end up in jail if we put liqour in our suitcase!

for some reason i thought it was against the law or something haha... will do next time

about the dinner time. unless you really like the company of other people, dont worry about making dinner on time. when we went on our cruise the one thing available at all times was food. the first couple of night we cut our fun or relaxation short to eat dinner and met some nice people, but then we realized theres food all the time so we skipped the next few

unless you want formal tours and group activities dont worry about signing up for the excursions. itll save you money

example: my girlfriend and i took a cruise to the cayman isles and OchoRios Jamaica.
    In OchoRios there was an excursion for close to 75/person to climb the waterfalls with a tour guide. it also included a days worth of travel in a small bus with other people on a dedicated route and lunch.

we skipped it.

we had planned on just walking around and just enjoying the town but we pumped into a young jamaican guy at the dock who offered be our driver for the day for 20 bucks. we agreed:
    - he took us to a place to rent watershoes for $1 each. he said people on the excursions we're paying $5 ON TOP of the 100 they paid for the excursion
    - he took us to the falls and got us in for $10 each
    - he WAITED at the falls and then took us around Ocho Rios to some "points of interest" at our request (at first we thought they were friends of his looking to make a buck off of us but we saw the tourbuses stopping at the same places)
    - he took us to eat at a great **** chicken place. we ate for 5 bucks each
    - he asked where we wanted to go next we said, "the beach" and he took us to a nice spot where a guy rented jet skis, we rented a jet ski for 40 bucks for 2 hours (separate excursion costing $75 for 1hr). we told him he could leave if he wanted and just to be back in 3 hours or so. sure enough he came back after 3 hours.

at the end of the day he dropped us off at the shopping center near the docks and i tipped him 20 bucks

so all in all we paid about 115 for 2 people and did more than people who paid 150 for 2 people.
    11-25-09 02:58 PM
    DO7: My girlfriend was actually planning on doing something like that, she was going to get the yellow Listerine bottle and put tequlia in it, but she might just call the cruise ahead of time and get a bottle of tequlia put in our room.

offthahorseceo: I think the only excursion we are going to pay for is our trip to Atlantis. I know the first stop is in Florida and we are just going to Coco beach for a $10 bus ride and in Freeport I'm not totally sure about what we are doing there. I think we want to do a Dolphin excursion but its like $200 a person.
    11-26-09 09:23 AM
    Food and lots of it. LOL
    Water and juice is also free. Its the soda and alcho you pay for.
    Many people sneak alcho onboard, vodka in water bottles etc.

11-26-09 03:06 PM
    DO7: My girlfriend was actually planning on doing something like that, she was going to get the yellow Listerine bottle and put tequlia in it, but she might just call the cruise ahead of time and get a bottle of tequlia put in our room.

offthahorseceo: I think the only excursion we are going to pay for is our trip to Atlantis. I know the first stop is in Florida and we are just going to Coco beach for a $10 bus ride and in Freeport I'm not totally sure about what we are doing there. I think we want to do a Dolphin excursion but its like $200 a person.

K9 - to be completely honest... partially attributed to our ignorance, my gf and I snuck rum in without putting it in another bottle without getting caught or into trouble (knock on wood for our next cruise- we didn't think at the time sneaking liquor in was a big deal). How much would a bottle of tequila ring you up through the cruise line? If it's not too expensive I suppose this would make sense and be stress free.

11-27-09 06:38 AM
    K9 - to be completely honest... partially attributed to our ignorance, my gf and I snuck rum in without putting it in another bottle without getting caught or into trouble (knock on wood for our next cruise- we didn't think at the time sneaking liquor in was a big deal). How much would a bottle of tequila ring you up through the cruise line? If it's not too expensive I suppose this would make sense and be stress free.

Been on a lot of cruises and always packed booze, had it sitting in my room and the maid and steward never said a word, but buy bottles of it on the ship before you get back and its all tax free, I even packed a extra suitcase just to bring booze back
    11-27-09 01:28 PM
    I went on Norwegian two years ago and LOVED it. I wish I knew about the booze. I rang up a $1100 bar bill. He he. (It was the pina coladas at 10 am that did it to me).

Norweigian has freestyle dining. It allows you to eat anytime for dinner.

I would go again in a second. Have fun!!!!!!
    11-27-09 05:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD