So I spent 80 minutes on the phone with American Express and 2 phones calls, speaking with about 5 supervisors, finally one of them waived my $38 late fee.

It pissed me off, I spend good money with these people and have 2 Amex cards with them, and they are raising rates and stuff and the dont even want to waive a $38 late fee, that was insane, Im glad I got it waived, but it wasted so much of my time..... I thought there customer service was 10 times better than this, I may have to look into Discover.

Anyhow I am looking for a Visa or Mastercard I guess with a low interest rate and good benefits anyone have any suggestions?
    09-09-09 04:05 PM
    use cash - if you can't pay for it - you don't need it .... after all isn't credit what got Wall Street in the slump they are in today....
    09-09-09 04:53 PM
    I'm a cash man too...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-09 05:23 PM
    Check out local credit union and see what rates they'll offer you on a card if you do your banking there. Mine is a 9.9% rate through my credit union.

Also, do not buy anything on a credit card that you do not have cash in the bank to cover during that billing cycle. Pay it off immediately.

I only use my card for convenience and for the cash back option they offer for putting a certain amount on the card each year.

09-09-09 05:31 PM
    From a pure budgeting standpoint, stay with AMEX.

You will never buy more than you can fully pay the following
    cycle and there is no interest involved.

I have every major credit card. I reach for the AMEX 95% of the time
    09-09-09 05:46 PM
    I can share so much; however there is a particular website (hopefully I can still find it) that sums up all the pertinent information to be known about not only credit cards; but MORE IMPORTANTLY...what your rights are as a consumer under new credit card legislation which makes it difficult for these companies to practice their business the way they have for so many years (i.e. Raising interest rates on even the best of customers, ETFs, line of credit slashing, shorter notice of billing as opposed to longer, etc.)

In the mean time; for a consumer that wants a quick, easy and pretty accurate way of finding the best credit card that meets their interest rate and terms and conditions wants/needs...go to Coupons, Deals, and Cash Back Shopping - FatWallet.com and search for 'credit card'.

09-09-09 05:57 PM
    Thx for your help.
    All the people that say they are cash people that's perfectly fine, let me educate a little here...
    Amex and some other credit cards offer protection like when u buy things and may need an extended warranty amex gives u that and there return period for any item is 90 days, also when u rent a car they give u insurance, if u lose a card cancel if you lose cash? You're screwed.... Once ppl take cash its a lot harder to get ur money back too. Plus they offer rewards like cash back and travel miles stuff like that.... Credit cards r better than cash if u pay em off on time.

09-09-09 08:26 PM
    My bank is somewhere in my house, I don't use plastic just CASH MONEY!

Thnx, �Tripster�

09-09-09 08:45 PM
    I used to work for citibank, consider this:

Citi PremierPass� Elite Level - Student Platinum

the premier pass elite level is great because airline tickets are BOGO...

when you get the card you also get a free plane ticket depending on your credit.

you drive an infinity, u wear true religions... why dont u have an amex centurion?

Centurion Card - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    09-09-09 11:26 PM
    JFriend lol that's funny... Been reading my post. That's a student card right?

Guess I'll have to look at the centurion card.

09-10-09 09:17 AM
    Plus I wouldve know about the plane ticket because I purchased a one way to Cleveland from Florida recently ($120) what's the student part of this card?

09-10-09 09:20 AM
    I love American Express.

Company's have charges, and fees for a reason.

Do you complain and whine to your bank when a check bounces and they charge you for it?

So what, AMEX has poor customer service because you had to waste 80 minutes trying to whine your way out of a $38 charge?

Sheesh.

You wasted 80 minutes of your life over 38 dollars.

I don't care if I get flamed for this or not-

But if your going to freak over a $38 fee, AMEX's Roman Soldier should personally revoke your card.

Thx for your help.
    All the people that say they are cash people that's perfectly fine, let me educate a little here...
    Amex and some other credit cards offer protection like when u buy things and may need an extended warranty amex gives u that and there return period for any item is 90 days, also when u rent a car they give u insurance, if u lose a card cancel if you lose cash? You're screwed.... Once ppl take cash its a lot harder to get ur money back too. Plus they offer rewards like cash back and travel miles stuff like that.... Credit cards r better than cash if u pay em off on time.
    This makes me think that you should stay with your American Express.

JFriend lol that's funny... Been reading my post. That's a student card right?

Guess I'll have to look at the centurion card.
    The Centurion Card is by invitation only...

Apply for a Platinum card, and spend 250k+ a year, and they might invite you.

But even then, the yearly fee is much much more than $38-

Try a one time fee of $5k, and then a yearly fee of $2.5k

Which is much higher than the Platinum Cards yearly fee of $450.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as harsh, I just don't understand how you can complain about a business, that's in the business of making money, and you knew this.

Your a big boy.

You paid late, pay the late fee, and don't do it again.

And as far as American Express's customer service goes, they are amazing.

And for that reason, I would never "look to Discover".

Thats like comparing apples to peaches.

Or to make it more CB friendly, going from a BlackBerry to a Tracfone.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 09-10-09 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Merged two posts.
    09-10-09 12:42 PM
    Thx for your help.

Get a debit card and use it like a credit card - sign for purchases and you get pretty much the same protection as a straight CC and you don't pay finance charges. If you want to spend more money than you have in your account, get a line of credit and you will pay substantially less for the credit.
    Also, Amex is not a true CC as you pay the amount due month-to-month. The problem with CCs is that they tell you can make a certain minimum payment and be okay with them and a lot of us are tempted to do that to have more cash available. I know 'cause I was there a long time ago. When I got rid of all my CC debt I felt a big load off of my shoulders and I was a much happier person.
    A little cash story. When I bought my present car, used asking price $8500, I walked into the dealership and laid down a stack of hundreds on the desk $800 less than the price that I got when I asked for his rock bottom price - $8000. The salesman and then the owner kept looking at that stack as they decided and finally took it after telling me how much they would be out if they took it. Cash is good!
    09-10-09 02:30 PM
    Go to Credit Cards - Compare Credit Card Offers at CreditCards.com Find one that pays you back for the things you do the most. If you're gonna have a credit card get one that does something for you. Also none of my biz but in these times pay your bills on time. No one is cutting anyone any slack so don't put yourself there.
    09-10-09 02:35 PM
    Also, Amex is not a true CC as you pay the amount due month-to-month.

American Express offers both Charge Cards and Credit Cards.
    09-10-09 02:46 PM
    He's right being they offer charge and credit cards. The black card and platinum cards are both ridicoulous but they charge you an annual fee fpor a reason. I paid late because I was helping a friend pack and move and drive to south Florida. You are right in these time why would any1 want to throw money away even is it is just $38, plus I 1 day late, that does not warrant a fee every needs a break every once in a while and this was the 1st late charge ever with this company....

09-10-09 04:02 PM
    Oh and just so ppl know the "Black" card is not by invitation anymore, as of 2006 you can call in and see if they will let you have 1 but you do already have to have the Platinum card.

09-10-09 04:03 PM
    I don't trust myself with a credit card, therefore, I do not have one.
    09-10-09 04:06 PM
    Oh and just so ppl know the "Black" card is not by invitation anymore, as of 2006 you can call in and see if they will let you have 1 but you do already have to have the Platinum card.
    In other words...

You still need to be invited lol
    09-10-09 04:10 PM
    Yeah Prada that's true I guess

09-10-09 05:21 PM
    A lot of the benefits of these cards are over advertised and under delivered. As others have said, if you have the cash don't bother with them.

My rules for these cards are:

1. If the benefits they offer (cashback, tickets, etc.) will take more than a year to get or I will need to spend some ridiculous amount like $10k to get a free magazine subscription - PASS

2. Card issuing companies make money from the vendors when the card is swiped and if you carry a balance they make interest. That being said, I could care less about the prestige of certain cards (Black, platinum, centurion, etc) at the end of the day its a card and if that card has an annual fee - PASS

3. I'm looking for a credit card company, and not a loan shark - If the interest rate is over 19% - PASS

4. Remember that you are the client and you can take your business elsewhere. When the shady practices of raising rates, imposing fees or limiting bill cycles begins, remember you can decline those changes in which case you can close the account and move to someone who appreciates your business.

And yes, I do have a couple of cards, all at 9- 11% with no fee and benefits that I can use without waiting 15 years for.

09-11-09 06:01 AM
    I like my Amazon card from Chase. I track my spending better with the card than I do with cash and I pay it off at the end of the month every month anyway. They have a great rewards program too.
    09-11-09 06:22 AM
    Yeah I'm into credit cards for the rewards. Like I stated above they cover car rentals, give u cash back stuff like that, plus they have your back usually with cash you have a much harder time getting that back...

09-11-09 09:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD