So I want to first begin by stating that I have only used forums a few times in my young life (I am 22yrs old) and no other one even COMPARES to crackberry. Since all my prior questions have been berry centered, I do hope that I can get the same amount of support when off topic. I also want to make note that I left this post on a web design forum with 69 views and not ONE reply, not even something like, we cannot help you...as always...any assistance is appreciated.

Roll on the question..........

I recently graduated from Cal State University with a degree in Communications. Since graduating, I have been noticing that many technical writing jobs require graphic design/web design knowledge. I have always enjoyed writing and would like to pursue a career in this field somewhere within a PR company, newspaper or related company.

What do you think is the value of me getting a certification on something such as web design/graphic design aka digital media? What is your take on the web design industry as a profession? Do you think there is opportunity or do you feel it has hit a slump along with many other industries in this economy? I am asking because I am looking to invest some money into getting certified and do not want to go into this without some hope that it will benefit me in my career as opposed to just building on my skills for a hobby.

I know that if I love something, I should do it no matter what. But I just want to make sure I would get my monies worth, this climate has began to make me think twice.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    Gumaro
    05-17-10 06:06 PM
    Congratulations on your degree. Since you're finding the design knowledge something many companies are looking for, seems to me a good idea to add that to your repertoire. Don't let the current economy guide you, that will eventually change. I would however expand my pursuits beyond Puerto Rico. There's a great big world out there.

WAPers do it With A Passion
    I'm many people's brother, have several BB daughters and sons,
    but I sure as heck ain't your momma!
    I'm a Survivor Baby!But the dang game fizzled out

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-10 05:01 AM
    Limiting yourself to a PR company seems dumb and limiting.

A job is a job.

Must be good to be able to delegate what kind of job you want in this economy.
    05-18-10 11:53 AM
    Oh EM Ji!

Thanks for replying, I thought nobody ever would.....Thank you.

Thanks for the congrats, I am happy to have a traditional four year college degree and could not be more grateful for having the opportunity to obtain it.

However, I want to dive more into my creative side hence my desire for certification in web/graphic design.

I guess I am just looking for some information such as job outlook, what I can do with such a certification and what other people who have been certified have done with their careers and lives. I cannot seem to find that anywhere on the net and that is what brought me here.

THANK YOU!
    05-18-10 11:54 AM
    Thanks Prada. I would not say that I want to only work for a PR company, just an idea. If you were in my shoes and looking to get certified in web/graphic design, what types of questions do you think you would want to ask? What would you be looking forward to working in/on?? I guess that is the advice that I am seeking here on this forum.

Thanks for everything!
    05-18-10 11:58 AM
    My first question to you, would be, have you interned for a company yet?

Real world experience is always something that I take into consideration when hiring people at my firm.
    05-18-10 12:01 PM
    Thanks Prada. No I have not interned at a company, I will certainly look into this. Any advice you can give me with locating an internship for such a company? Or just Google away?

Thank you very much.
    05-18-10 12:11 PM
    Google will help, but normally your school will be able to help you network your way to a decent internship.

It's still early in the summer, you may be able to find one.

At first, it may benefit you to find an unpaid internship.

But if the option is there to find a paid one, take it.

And you're welcome
    05-18-10 12:17 PM
    Prada, I sent you a private message... if you can see this....
    05-19-10 03:55 PM
    I want to thank everyone that has commented on my post and look forward to hearing from other forum members as well.

The more the merrier!
    05-19-10 03:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD