• 2 Post By amazinglygraceless
  • 1 Post By trucky

Global Posts
    5,820 Global Posts
    PIN
    7901FC6B
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Colorado wildfires

I just wanted to send a message out to anyone who might be affected by the wildfires burning in Colorado. Y'all are in my thoughts and prayers. My cousin lost his house last week. Yesterday I found out that the Colorado Springs office from my company has been evacuated. I'm working some OT this weekend and early tomorrow morning to help take over their workload. I've been fortunate to meet several people from that office and I really really hope everyone stays safe out there, and that the fire stays away from the office, and I hope it stays away from the fine folk of crackberry.
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 06-24-2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: typo
    Everyone, everyone, stop fighting! Look unto me! I possess the blue flag! I wield the power infinite! The universal fabric is mine to unravel! My every thought becomes reality! Mountains will fall! Seas will boil! Day will be at night! People will...run...chicks'll dig me!
    Thanked by 3:
    exelant (06-26-2012),  Laura Knotek (07-12-2012),  Septembersrain#AC (06-26-2012) 
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,934 Global Posts

With you on well wishes for everyone there. Has to be scary and devastating.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

People are losing their homes to these fires and my thoughts are with them.
    [B]Real BlackBerry Phones Have Real Keyboards
    Q10 the finest BlackBerry
    Retired Mod

PIN
    PIN:ky Tuscadero

A lot of us will be saying a prayer for the residents of Colorado. Let's not forget
    the Firefighters and EMS personnel working to get this under control and aid
    those in need of help.
    Thanked by 5:
    BigBadWulf (06-26-2012),  exelant (06-26-2012),  kbz1960 (06-24-2012),  Laura Knotek (07-12-2012),  Septembersrain#AC (06-26-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    1,582 Global Posts

I'm hoping the same. A friend of mine has a grandmother living out there and we're all just trying to stay optimistic...

«~*Boost Mobile/Virgin Mobile*~»

Global Posts
    35,130 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:tang

Having a close friend and family in the denver area, everyone's safety is definitely on my mind, and in my prayers.
    WAPers do it With A Passion

Z/Q Warrior °•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•° `°•.¸¸.•° Born to ™ °•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•° Upgrade Guide

BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"
    Thanked by:
    exelant (06-26-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    ( ͡•_͡•)

The weather is not cooperating. We've had 5 straight days of 100 plus degrees f and the last 2 days we've tied the overall record high for any day of the year at 105°, and with a dozen fires burning, resources a running low. That said, we are so lucky to have the professional firefighters working the fires, local and federal. The military is supplying C-130s to help with water and fire retardant drops. Fortunately, my family doesn't live in the fire zones, but we have many friends who have homes in the mountains and are worried for them. We have already lost several hundred homes with more sure to go.

Global Posts
    5,820 Global Posts
    PIN
    7901FC6B
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by exelant View Post
    The weather is not cooperating. We've had 5 straight days of 100 plus degrees f and the last 2 days we've tied the overall record high for any day of the year at 105°, and with a dozen fires burning, resources a running low. That said, we are so lucky to have the professional firefighters working the fires, local and federal. The military is supplying C-130s to help with water and fire retardant drops. Fortunately, my family doesn't live in the fire zones, but we have many friends who have homes in the mountains and are worried for them. We have already lost several hundred homes with more sure to go.
    My thoughts and prayers are definitely with your state right now! The fire is getting unnervingly close to our Colorado Springs office. We have several people from that office who have traveled to KC to help with business. Our office is PACKED and everyone is working overtime.
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 06-29-2012 at 02:10 PM.
    Everyone, everyone, stop fighting! Look unto me! I possess the blue flag! I wield the power infinite! The universal fabric is mine to unravel! My every thought becomes reality! Mountains will fall! Seas will boil! Day will be at night! People will...run...chicks'll dig me!

Global Posts
    6,308 Global Posts
    PIN
    G

It's too bad the feds have reduced the entire national air tanker fleet from 44 tankers down to just 9 for the entire country... Wilderness fires are near impossible to contain without air support.
    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Retired Mod

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by trucky View Post
    It's too bad the feds have reduced the entire national air tanker fleet from 44 tankers down to just 9 for the entire country... Wilderness fires are near impossible to contain without air support.
    Doesn't help much for Colorado but the situation will get better: Forest Service adds advanced tankers to fire-fighting fleet - Nextgov.com

President Obama signed legislation yesterday authorizing the tanker contracts and the White House said it is part of a strategy to modernize the firefighting air tanker fleet, which consists of vintage Navy P2V patrol aircraft more than five decades old.

Under the contracts, the Forest Service said it will add three converted British Aerospace-146 regional jetliners, which can carry 3,000 gallons of fire retardant, this year. In 2013 it will add two additional BAe-146s and two converted Boeing MD-87 airliners, which can carry 4,000 gallons of retardant. Dan Snyder, president of Neptune Aviation in Missoula, Mont., said his company has been flying one BAe-146 to fight fires under an old contract for the past month and will add another under the new contract in July or August.

Global Posts
    6,308 Global Posts
    PIN
    G

Quote Originally Posted by amazinglygraceless View Post
    Doesn't help much for Colorado but the situation will get better: Forest Service adds advanced tankers to fire-fighting fleet - Nextgov.com
    That's exciting news! The same guy who signed legislation to reduce the fleet from 44 to 9 is now adding back 5.

It's hard to say how many homes could have been saved if the full fleet had been available...

I do hope the firefighters can get an upper hand soon.
    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Retired Mod

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by trucky View Post
    That's exciting news! The same guy who signed legislation to reduce the fleet from 44 to 9 is now adding back 5.

It's hard to say how many homes could have been saved if the full fleet had been available...

I do hope the firefighters can get an upper hand soon.
    That would be the same President that signed THIS legislation.

(PRWEB) June 27, 2012

The American Helicopter Services and Aerial Firefighting Association (AHSAFA) congratulate Congress for its passage of legislation authorizing the US Forest Service (USFS) to make multi-year, operational funding available to private operators for fleet modernization of large air tankers engaged in wildland fire suppression. The Bill, S 3261, “Contract Awards For Large Air Tankers,” was signed by President Obama on June 13.

“With the President's signature, current air tanker operators can move forward with plans to acquire new tankers, and encourage qualified entrepreneurs to enter the business using modern aircraft,” said Tom Eversole, AHSAFA Executive Director. “It is definitely a first step toward deployment of a new generation of aerial firefighting assets, which will help the industry grow into a more effective wildland firefighting force.”

The legislation initially authorizes $24 million for the USFS to fund exclusive use contracts for wildfire suppression by four companies. The contracts are for a base period of five years, with five, one-year options for contracts awarded in 2012, and four, one-year options for those awarded in 2013. The four operators--Neptune Aviation Services, Inc., Minden Air Corporation, Aero Air LLC, and Aero Flite, Inc.--will be contractually obligated to provide a total of seven next-generation tankers in 2012 and 2013. The aircraft proposed by the companies include the British Aerospace BAe 146 and Avro RJ85, and the McDonnell Douglas MD87. All are late-model, commercial jets, reconfigured for the air tanker role. Eversole noted that the USFS has indicated a need for 26-28 tankers to achieve total fleet modernization over time.
    How on Earth taking questionably safe, 50+ year old equipment out of service and putting in place
    the mechanisms to replace them with superior, state of the art equipment can possibly
    be seen as a negative against ANY President is beyond me.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 06-29-2012 at 12:25 PM.

Global Posts
    6,308 Global Posts
    PIN
    G

Quote Originally Posted by amazinglygraceless View Post
    That would be the same President that signed THIS legislation.

How on Earth taking questionably safe, 50+ year old equipment out of service and putting in place the mechanisms to replace them with superior, state of the art equipment can possibly
    be seen as a negative against ANY President is beyond me.

I guess it's a good thing that "putting in place the mechanisms to replace" is happening. Probably my primary issue with the process was the taking of still performing and safe equipment out of service before having the replacements ready to go in their place, leaving a dangerous and critical lapse of coverage. I would feel much safer in a 50 year old plane any day than a 50 year old car. Besides, these aerial tankers don't carry passengers, other than crew, just flame retardant or water, and they usually don't fly over heavily populated areas when loaded. The required very stringent FAA safety inspections on aircraft would lead me to believe that if there were questions as to the safety that these aircraft would not have been flying at all. So, I guess we can agree on the process, maybe not so much on the timing and management of deployment.

Thanked by:
    amazinglygraceless (07-12-2012) 
    amazinglygraceless likes this.