http://www.latimes.com/news/obituari...,4752014.story

Leonard Garment dies at 89; advised President Nixon during Watergate

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk
    BergerKing likes this.
    07-16-13 01:49 AM
    07-16-13 07:08 PM
    I was just easing in to post that, thanks!
    07-16-13 11:48 PM
    Eugene P. Wilkinson, Who Steered First Nuclear Submarine, Dies at 94 - NYTimes.com

He was also the first Commanding Officer of the USS Long Beach, CGN-9. The Long Beach was one of the ships in Battle Group Romeo in 1986, deployed with the USS New Jersey BB-62, along with my ship, the USS Merrill, DD-976, for my first overseas deployment. It was the first deployment of a Tomahawk centered surface action group. Merrill was the test platform for the shipboard version of the missile.
    Laura Knotek and shaleem like this.
    07-16-13 11:57 PM
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour..._KpHEee8fHSDxQ

Talia Joy Castellano, Internet Celeb, Cover Girl model, succumbs to cancer.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-18-13 04:53 PM
    Lt. Gen. Sidney Berry dies at 87; decorated combat vet led West Point

Lt. Gen. Sidney Berry dies at 87; decorated combat vet led West Point - latimes.com
    BergerKing likes this.
    07-19-13 01:19 AM
    T-Model Ford, Late-Blooming Bluesman, Is Dead

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/19/ar...bituaries&_r=0
    BergerKing likes this.
    07-19-13 01:22 AM
    07-20-13 09:28 AM
    07-20-13 07:02 PM
    07-21-13 12:46 PM
    07-22-13 12:54 PM
    RIP Dennis Farina....beloved fellow Chicagoan. We're gonna miss you.
    07-22-13 02:47 PM
    Emile Griffith, Boxer Who Unleashed a Fatal Barrage, Dies at 75

It was the night of March 24, 1962, a nationally televised welterweight title fight at Madison Square Garden between Emile Griffith and Benny Paret, known as Kid. Griffith was seeking to recapture the crown he had once taken from Paret and then lost back to him.

But this was more than a third encounter for a boxing title. A different kind of tension hung in the Garden air, fed by whispered rumors and an open taunt by Paret, a brash Cuban who at the weigh-in had referred to Griffith as gay, using the Spanish epithet �maric�n.�

Fighters squaring off always challenge each other�s boxing prowess, but in the macho world of the ring, and in the taboo-laden world of 1962, Paret had made it personal, challenging Griffith�s manhood.

On a Saturday night about 7,500 fans � not a bad crowd for a televised bout in those years � had trooped to the Garden, then at Eighth Avenue and 49th Street, to watch the fight through a haze of cigarette and cigar smoke. By the 12th round of a scheduled 15, Griffith and Paret were still standing. But in the 12th, Griffith pinned Paret into a corner and let fly a whirlwind of blows to the head.

�The right hand whipping like a piston rod which has broken through the crankcase, or like a baseball bat demolishing a pumpkin,� Norman Mailer, a ringside witness, recalled in an essay.

Griffith delivered 17 punches in five seconds with no response from Paret, according to Griffith�s trainer, Gil Clancy, who counted them up from television replays. Griffith may have punched Paret at least two dozen times in that salvo.

At last the referee stepped in, and Paret collapsed with blood clots in his brain.

�I hope he isn�t hurt,� Griffith was quoted saying in his dressing room afterward. �I pray to God � I say from my heart � he�s all right.�

Paret died 10 days later at Roosevelt Hospital in Manhattan.

Griffith, who had batted away rumors about his sexual orientation for years, survived a beating outside a gay bar in Times Square in 1992 and later acknowledged an attraction to men, died on Tuesday in Hempstead, N.Y., his boxing earnings and his memory long gone. He was 75.
    07-24-13 11:41 AM
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/26/us...pagewanted=all

Virginia Johnson, Masters’s Collaborator in Sex Research, Dies at 88. (Masters & Johnson)
    Last edited by BergerKing; 07-25-13 at 05:03 PM.
    07-25-13 04:44 PM
    07-25-13 05:14 PM
    Art Ginsburg dies at 78; founder of popular deli in Studio City

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituari...,1882266.story

amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-26-13 03:27 AM
    Famed Hacker Barnaby Jack Dies Ahead of Black Hat Talk

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817...069TX1K0001121

07-26-13 12:45 PM
    Writer of hits JJ Cale dead at 74, rep says

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/27/showbi...bit/index.html

07-27-13 10:37 AM
    07-27-13 12:57 PM
    07-28-13 12:44 AM
    I apologize for the long post but this man deserves more than a simple link.

Col. Bud Day, Heroic Pilot In Vietnam War, Dies at 88

Col. Bud Day, an Air Force fighter pilot who was shot down in the Vietnam War, imprisoned with John McCain in the notorious �Hanoi Hilton� and defiantly endured more than five years of brutality without divulging sensitive information to his captors, earning him the Medal of Honor, died on Saturday in Shalimar, Fla. He was 88.

His death was announced by his wife, Doris.

Colonel Day was among America�s most highly decorated servicemen, having received nearly 70 medals and awards, more than 50 for combat exploits. In addition to the Medal of Honor, the nation�s highest award for valor, he was awarded the Air Force Cross, the highest combat award specifically for airmen.

In a post on Twitter on Sunday, Senator McCain called Colonel Day �my friend, my leader, my inspiration.�

Colonel Day�s life was defined by the defiance he showed in North Vietnamese prison camps, where besides Mr. McCain, the future senator and Republican presidential candidate, whose Navy fighter jet had been downed, his cellmates included James B. Stockdale, also a Navy pilot, who became Ross Perot�s running mate in his 1992 presidential campaign.

When he volunteered for duty in Vietnam and was assigned to a fighter wing in April 1967, Colonel Day, then a major, had flown more than 4,500 hours in fighters.

On Aug. 26, 1967, he was on a mission to knock out a surface-to-air missile site 20 miles inside North Vietnam when his F-100 was hit by antiaircraft fire. He suffered eye and back injuries and a broken arm when he ejected, and he was quickly captured.

Major Day was strung upside-down by his captors, but after his bonds were loosened, he escaped after five days in enemy hands. He made it across a river, using a bamboo-log float for support, and crossed into South Vietnam. He wandered barefoot and delirious for about two weeks in search of rescuers, surviving on a few berries and frogs. At one point, he neared a Marine outpost, but members of a Communist patrol spotted him first, shot him in the leg and hand, and captured him.

This time, Major Day could not escape. He was shuttled among various camps, including the prison that became known as the Hanoi Hilton, and was beaten, starved and threatened with execution. His captors demanded information on escape plans and methods of communication among the prisoners of war, as well as on America�s air war.

In February 1971, he joined with Admiral Stockdale, then a commander and the ranking American in the prison camp, and other prisoners in singing �The Star-Spangled Banner� while rifle muzzles were pointed at them by guards who had burst into a prisoners� forbidden religious service.

He was released on March 14, 1973, having supplied only false information to his interrogators. He was promoted to colonel during his captivity, and on March 4, 1976, President Gerald R. Ford presented him with the Medal of Honor at a ceremony in which Admiral Stockdale was also awarded the medal.

Colonel Day received the medal for his escape and evasion, brief though it was, and his refusal to yield to his tormentors.

�Colonel Day was totally debilitated and unable to perform even the simplest task for himself,� the citation read. �Despite his many injuries, he continued to offer maximum resistance. His personal bravery in the face of deadly enemy pressure was significant in saving the lives of fellow aviators who were still flying against the enemy.�

Mr. McCain recalled in his memoir, �Faith of My Fathers,� written with Mark Salter, that Colonel Day �was a tough man, a fierce resister, whose example was an inspiration to every man who served with him.�

Telling how Colonel Day, in wretched condition himself, comforted him when he was near death from beatings, Senator McCain wrote that Colonel Day �had an indomitable will to survive with his reputation intact, and he strengthened my will to live.�

George Everette Day, known as Bud, was born on Feb. 24, 1925, in Sioux City, Iowa. He quit high school to join the Marines in 1942 and served with an antiaircraft battery on Johnston Island in the Pacific during World War II.

He graduated from Morningside College in Sioux City, obtained a law degree from the University of South Dakota and then received an officer�s commission in the Iowa Army National Guard. After transferring to the Air Force Reserve, he was recalled to active duty in 1951 and received pilot training. He flew a fighter-bomber, tracking Soviet planes off the coast of Japan, during the Korean War and then remained in military service.

After coming home from Vietnam, Colonel Day underwent physical rehabilitation, regained his flight status and served as vice commander of a flight wing at Eglin Air Force Base in Florida. He retired from the military in 1977 after being passed over for brigadier general and then practiced law in Fort Walton Beach, Fla.

Colonel Day represented military retirees in a federal court case aimed at securing what they said were health benefits once promised by their recruiters. He campaigned for Mr. McCain when he challenged George W. Bush for the 2000 Republican presidential nomination. When President Bush sought re-election in 2004, Colonel Day worked with the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth organization in sharply attacking Mr. Bush�s Democratic opponent, Senator John Kerry, a decorated Vietnam veteran, over his antiwar activities after coming home. Colonel Day backed Mr. McCain�s presidential bid in 2008.

In addition to his wife, Colonel Day is survived by two sons, Steven and George Jr.; two daughters, Sandra Hearn and Sonja LaJeunesse; and 14 grandchildren.

Admiral Stockdale, his fellow prisoner of war, died in 2005.

Looking back on the torment he endured as a prisoner, Colonel Day expressed pride over the way he and his fellow prisoners of war had conducted themselves. �As awful as it sounds, no one could say we did not do well,� he told The Associated Press in 2008.

Being held prisoner �was a major issue in my life, and one that I am extremely proud of,� he said. �I was just living day to day.�

Medal of Honor citation

Rank and organization: Colonel (then Major), U.S. Air Force, Forward Air Controller Pilot of an F-100 aircraft.
    Place and date: North Vietnam, August 26, 1967.
    Entered service at: Sioux City, Iowa.
    Born: February 24, 1925, Sioux City, Iowa.

Citation: On 26 August 1967, Col. Day was forced to eject from his aircraft over North Vietnam when it was hit by ground fire. His right arm was broken in 3 places, and his left knee was badly sprained. He was immediately captured by hostile forces and taken to a prison camp where he was interrogated and severely tortured. After causing the guards to relax their vigilance, Col. Day escaped into the jungle and began the trek toward South Vietnam. Despite injuries inflicted by fragments of a bomb or rocket, he continued southward surviving only on a few berries and uncooked frogs. He successfully evaded enemy patrols and reached the Ben Hai River, where he encountered U.S. artillery barrages. With the aid of a bamboo log float, Col. Day swam across the river and entered the demilitarized zone. Due to delirium, he lost his sense of direction and wandered aimlessly for several days. After several unsuccessful attempts to signal U.S. aircraft, he was ambushed and recaptured by the Viet Cong, sustaining gunshot wounds to his left hand and thigh. He was returned to the prison from which he had escaped and later was moved to Hanoi after giving his captors false information to questions put before him. Physically, Col. Day was totally debilitated and unable to perform even the simplest task for himself. Despite his many injuries, he continued to offer maximum resistance. His personal bravery in the face of deadly enemy pressure was significant in saving the lives of fellow aviators who were still flying against the enemy. Col. Day's conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Air Force and reflect great credit upon himself and the U.S. Armed Forces.
    07-28-13 11:51 PM
    I apologize for the long post but this man deserves more than a simple link.

Col. Bud Day, Heroic Pilot In Vietnam War, Dies at 88

Rank and organization: Colonel (then Major), U.S. Air Force, Forward Air Controller Pilot of an F-100 aircraft.
    Place and date: North Vietnam, August 26, 1967.
    Entered service at: Sioux City, Iowa.
    Born: February 24, 1925, Sioux City, Iowa.

Citation: On 26 August 1967, Col. Day was forced to eject from his aircraft over North Vietnam when it was hit by ground fire. His right arm was broken in 3 places, and his left knee was badly sprained. He was immediately captured by hostile forces and taken to a prison camp where he was interrogated and severely tortured. After causing the guards to relax their vigilance, Col. Day escaped into the jungle and began the trek toward South Vietnam. Despite injuries inflicted by fragments of a bomb or rocket, he continued southward surviving only on a few berries and uncooked frogs. He successfully evaded enemy patrols and reached the Ben Hai River, where he encountered U.S. artillery barrages. With the aid of a bamboo log float, Col. Day swam across the river and entered the demilitarized zone. Due to delirium, he lost his sense of direction and wandered aimlessly for several days. After several unsuccessful attempts to signal U.S. aircraft, he was ambushed and recaptured by the Viet Cong, sustaining gunshot wounds to his left hand and thigh. He was returned to the prison from which he had escaped and later was moved to Hanoi after giving his captors false information to questions put before him. Physically, Col. Day was totally debilitated and unable to perform even the simplest task for himself. Despite his many injuries, he continued to offer maximum resistance. His personal bravery in the face of deadly enemy pressure was significant in saving the lives of fellow aviators who were still flying against the enemy. Col. Day's conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Air Force and reflect great credit upon himself and the U.S. Armed Forces.
    I concur, and thank you for posting the full story, as I was going to do the same.
    07-29-13 12:40 AM
    Lois DeBerry, TN lawmaker

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bos...61#fbLoggedOut

07-29-13 01:45 AM
    Great article on a true hero

medicdon
    07-29-13 08:25 AM
    07-29-13 07:28 PM
3,397 ... 1617181920 ...