Does anyone one here own a cat or know someone with a cat that has fleas? A friend of my parents gave us a kitten and I played with him for about an hour and I started to itch like ****. I wasn't itching before we got the cat.. I don't know if I am just worrying about fleas or what. But I tried to do a little research and I took a look at the cat, he doesn't seem to have any red spots or bumps etc. Only my beard is itching like ****. I have been rubbing it/scratching it for about 30mins now. Any advice?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-11 02:46 AM
    Sound like allergic reaction. Make a test.
    08-28-11 03:23 AM
    Trust me if the cat was covered in fleas, and they were getting on you, itching and biting is what you'd be feeling. And it would be more than just the area under your beard that you;d have the problem it would be any exposed skin. And if you were looking hard enough to see bumps and red spots, you would have seen the fleas as well.

Others in that have handled the cat would also be complaining of bites and itching, so it may very well be an allergic reaction. And if it is fleas and an reaction to one or two bites (yup it can be pretty intense itching from one or two flea bites if you are allergic to them).

Time to get your itching looked at and the kitten to the vet to rule out fleas and mites.

I personally have a pet dander problem to pets that are kept indoors, if they are indoor outdoor cats and dogs, don't seem to have the problem with welting skin, puffy itchy eyes, sinuses slam shut and a cough that makes you think I just took up smoking.
    Last edited by BlkBear; 08-28-11 at 05:34 PM. Reason: I like to blah blah blah till I can't blah blah no more....
    08-28-11 05:09 PM
    Yea you would see fleas. I bet your allergic. take a benadryl.

Give him a bath see if that helps. Sometimes its just whats in the cats saliva (they lick themselves). But its most likely dander.
    08-28-11 10:58 PM
    I'm allergic to guinea pigs, or their dander. It causes puffed eyes and sneezing like crazy.

Had to give mine up.

08-28-11 11:53 PM
    I'm allergic to guinea pigs, or their dander. It causes puffed eyes and sneezing like crazy.

Had to give mine up.

Yea its dander. i cant own a dog unless a hyperallergenic dog like a silky terrier or a poodle (their exsensive.)

Right now i own a hedghog. (so allergies there.) and my WONDERFUL teddy bear hamster. I dont get itchy but if i rub my eyes after i bet him or touch my face it does get agitated. Nothing washing my hands cant fix
    08-29-11 12:18 AM
    Word of caution if fleas!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it is fleas, before doing a flea bath for the cat and/or having your house bombed, pay the bit of $ and have your cat checked to make sure kidney function is good.

Flea bombing is supposed to be safe for the cat, and the bath too. But we once had a cat that only had one functioning kidney. We did not know that ahead of time. Had our house flea bombed and gave the cats flea baths.

The cat with the one kidney could not process the toxins. If we had known about his kidneys we would have acted accordingly.
    08-29-11 07:57 AM
    Easiest way to tell if the cat has fleas is to look for flea "dirt" (ummm, flea dung). Rub the fur slowly backwards so you can see down to the skin. It will be easily apparent if they're present. Soounds more like an allergic reaction tho.

I'm allergic to guinea pigs, or their dander. It causes puffed eyes and sneezing like crazy. Had to give mine up.
    Had to give mine up too... just not near nuff dark meat on em.
    08-29-11 01:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD