HD DVD done!
    So glad I went with a Blu-Ray player. Now maybe some of the movies that were only available on HD-DVD will come out on Blu-Ray.
    AP Business - Turnto10
    02-19-08 11:53 AM
    I hear ya on that Member No. 1. Hope Blu-ray sticks around.
    02-19-08 01:38 PM
    glad i didn't buy either format, yet. was waiting to see how things finally worked out. happened sooner than i thought.
    02-19-08 04:05 PM
    Question from the uninformed. Was/is there a difference you could really tell between the two? I never had a chance to check out either one and was waiting for the smoke to clear before I bought one or the other. (As my Betamax collects dust in a storage unit somewhere)
    :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-08 06:49 PM
    ps3 wooo i knew they would win blu ray

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-08 07:10 PM
    I was waiting too. Thought blu-ray would win out. Blu-ray even sounds better than HDDVD.
    02-19-08 07:23 PM
    Question from the uninformed. Was/is there a difference you could really tell between the two? I never had a chance to check out either one and was waiting for the smoke to clear before I bought one or the other. (As my Betamax collects dust in a storage unit somewhere)
    :-)
    blu-ray discs can hold more data. don't know about any other aspect (pic quality, etc.). ps3's are blu-ray, xbox 360's are hd-dvd compatible. that's about all i know.
    02-19-08 07:29 PM
    Yea I am glad i went with blu-ray. I had a feeling it was going to win the format war, as soon as I heard it held more data.

And I second the comment that blu-ray sounds much better then hd dvd
    02-21-08 01:13 AM
    damn my hd dvd player is gonna collect dust.....gotta get a Blu Ray player now!
    02-21-08 11:47 AM
    damn my hd dvd player is gonna collect dust.....gotta get a Blu Ray player now!
    I hear your pain! When I was in the market for a new player either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD I almost forked over a cool grand to get Lg that does both. But I got the Samsung Blu-Ray and figured if need be buy a HD-DVD player have both, and still come out cheaper. But even though Blu-Ray is the future it's not without it's problems. I've had to update the firmware just to be able to play some movies. The studios and player manufacturers are still not in 100% agreement on format and the like.
    Example:
    news & alerts SAMSUNG=
    02-21-08 01:06 PM
    Yea samsung is having a major issue with some of here players in general. There is a class action law suit against samsung for there player. it isnt a perfect technology yet. I would have like them to beat the crap out of eachother so prices would drop more and more...oh well
    02-21-08 01:22 PM
    Without going into a lot of detail, what was the suit about?
    02-21-08 01:24 PM
    I have a Sony Blu-ray player. I'm actually on my second one. I was never able to watch a movie on the first one. It would freeze in the middle of the movie or there would be no sound. I hadn't even had it a couple of days. I checked the firmware and it was quite out-dated from the current firmware at the time. I updated it to the current version on the Sony site but it didn't help. Needless to say, I took it back to Circuit City and exchanged it for a replacement. Luckily the new one hasn't given me any problem.
    02-21-08 01:55 PM
    Jimmers... kind of the same issue with my first Samsung. Took it back to Best-Buy, was going to exchange it for the Sony, ask the guy what's up with all the Sony open box specials, he told me returns because people where having to many problems with them. Needless to say, I left with my second Samsung. I'll just keep updating the firmware. Just hope it never comes down to a hardware issue!
    02-21-08 02:01 PM
    I have 2 Sony Blu-rays a S300 and S500 and haven't had any problems. I did a firmware upgrade to the S500 and it plays all my movies (Blu and DVD) and CD's so far. I agree 1st generation players were buggy to say the least.

As far as the diferences it is all about frame rate:
    DVD max is almost 10FPS
    HD-DVD max is 25FPS
    Blu max max is 40FPS

That is because BLU doesn't have to compress anything video or audio and if you an AV receiver that can decode the various HD audio formats on the discs it is truely amazing.
    02-24-08 09:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD