Me myself i hope not, but i do get tired of all those android fanboys out there that say blackberry wont be around by the end of 2012. I want blackberry to prove them wrong, make a comeback, and shut there mouth for them.

Ya i use a android phone but im a blackberry fan at heart. And im also on blackberrys side.

Anybody have an input on this.
    03-22-12 12:08 PM
    I believe the Mayans and don't worry bout anything else.
    03-22-12 12:14 PM
    They'll be around for a while, in what form who knows. I do see the company changing quite a bit by the end of this year.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    03-22-12 12:14 PM
    Id like to see it change for the better. It would be nice to see them come back swinging
    03-22-12 12:18 PM
    Companies always change over time. I am not sure what their market share will be like pre and post BB10, but I do not see them going out of business by year's end.
    03-22-12 12:24 PM
    I dont either
    03-22-12 12:32 PM
    Blackberry is going thru what reminds me of what Apple went thru back in the day. Apple was struggling back then and kept plugging away until some great products came on board. Hopefully, BB follows this path. Apple was hip and cool when it wasn't mainstream or popular, and now, it's not really cool, but more or less the "norm", sort of saying. Hopefully BB has this following as well.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-22-12 12:54 PM
    No they are not. Based on my definition, or Bing's definition

go under
    Definition
    go under
    INTRANSITIVE VERB
    sink in water: to sink below the surface of the water
    "I managed to grab him as he went under for the third time."
    fail: to close down or fail

lose consciousness: to lose consciousness, especially after being given an anesthetic
    "They began the operation as soon as she'd gone under."

Are they going bankrupt?
    Nope.

Have their handset sales been trending down?
    Yup

Have their services sales been going down?
    Nope. Rising.

Have their number of users been going down?
    Nope.

They aren't closing down. In fact, they are purchasing companies. Their profits seem to be trending down for the last two quarters, so if that is 'going under', then they are.

Your call...
    pcguy514 likes this.
    03-22-12 12:59 PM
    Nope, not for the coming years. They are still doing very well in markets other than in the US. Still making a good amount of profit. In fact i'm seeing an increase in the amount of blackberry users in my country. In the tube, the cinemas, the malls. Blackberry smartphones are still everywhere. These are the new OS 7 devices i'm talking about, not the older ones. They'll still be around, as pointed out be many other such threads asking such questions.
    03-22-12 01:22 PM
    Nope, not for the coming years. They are still doing very well in markets other than in the US. Still making a good amount of profit. In fact i'm seeing an increase in the amount of blackberry users in my country. In the tube, the cinemas, the malls. Blackberry smartphones are still everywhere. These are the new OS 7 devices i'm talking about, not the older ones. They'll still be around, as pointed out be many other such threads asking such questions.
    Agree.

They are actually doing rather well in Asia, which is a substantial market. Even though they might not be performing as well in US, overall global revenue will keep them going.
    inolle likes this.
    03-22-12 01:27 PM
    Yeah they're going out of business tomorrow. Didn't the sales rep inform you already?
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    03-22-12 03:16 PM
    i think im gonna throw up on my laptop if i see another one of these is bb and rim going under/end of the world threads again . like seriously guys , hasnt this doom and gloom thread been beaten to death yet???
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-22-12 03:20 PM
    Watch the language and the name calling folks!
    Chrisy and OniBerry like this.
    03-22-12 03:52 PM
    omg sell your phone... the internetz says to...
    03-22-12 03:56 PM
    Well it does look like change may be underway at RIM already:

http://allthingsd.com/20120322/why-is-rim-hiring-ios-app-developers/
    03-22-12 03:57 PM
    A few weeks ago RIM held a job fair in Toronto. Lot's of applicants, even some former emps who were either laid off or left for whatever reason.
    03-22-12 03:59 PM
    Sorry about the language, but i never asked for the rude comments either i asked opinions. Not for people to act like idiots.
    03-22-12 04:02 PM
    Take note that RIM is undergoing transition; a huge one indeed. Maybe they have forseen this downward spiral and all and is actually expecting it. They're not flinching to the decreasing market share of US.
    Chrisy and fanatical like this.
    03-22-12 06:14 PM
    Me myself i hope not, but i do get tired of all those android fanboys out there that say blackberry wont be around by the end of 2012. I want blackberry to prove them wrong, make a comeback, and shut there mouth for them.

Ya i use a android phone but im a blackberry fan at heart. And im also on blackberrys side.

They will be around. If your really worried about it then buy BlackBerry product and help the cause.

James
    03-22-12 06:36 PM
    Take note that RIM is undergoing transition; a huge one indeed. Maybe they have forseen this downward spiral and all and is actually expecting it. They're not flinching to the decreasing market share of US.
    Agreed, I'm sure RIM knew things were going to get worse before they got better.

We all love our BB's for one reason or another. They do many things better and more efficiently than other platforms. That being said, they are also way behind the comp. in many ways.

Albiet a little late, RIM has made what I think are the right moves to get things back on track. The 11 or 12 key aquisitions they've made over the last 2 years pretty much paint the picture of what RIM has planned for the future. They are building new phones, a new OS, and a new ecosystem...... RIM will be back strong this time next year I'm sure of it. Will they ever dominate the smartphone market again ? Well we'll have to wait and see.
    03-22-12 06:59 PM
    There is a great podcast where CB Kevin is on with engadget talking about RIM. It is suggested listening. I will try to find it a day post the link.

Here are some things I learned (paraphrased with my interpretations added)

Rims marketshare dropped when companies with "feature phones" came out with (or started to call them) "smartphones" When the world's largest phone manufacturer, Samsung, entered the market naturally the (Rim) numbers trend down. No one was calling for Samsung to go out of business because they were not in or late to the smartphone market were they?

On the Rise of Android, it happened more because almost no one (who went to Android) had a (mature) smartphone OS. Android was a quick, easy way to get a platform and enter the market quickly (with minimal cost)

My thought is, look at your own industry, how does 1 compare to the market leader.. I personally have such a small share of my market here (Toronto) with 1.5 people in the office and the market leaders have 500+ each (top 4) and I am making a good living.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-22-12 07:41 PM
    Seems like things happen in cycles. Apple popularity will finish and Blackberry will rise. Just a guess.
    03-22-12 07:46 PM

Blackberry has its own niche in the smart phone market and they will be around for a long time. Don't get me wrong I like my bold but android is also a nice device with many great features. I carry a Galaxy Tab along with my 9930. When BB 10 gets up and running you will have a awesome device and android will have something to worry about.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    03-22-12 07:57 PM
    Seems like things happen in cycles. Apple popularity will finish and Blackberry will rise. Just a guess.
    You seem to be going somewhere with that comment Chrisy.

I actually want to see how Apple handles innovation with a huge entrenched user base.
    Earlier Windows was on the receiving end because of bloated increments because MS had to balance backward compatibility with innovation which is never an easy task.

Apple came back from the dead with Mac OSX which basically abandoned their non existent user base and innovated to a huge level and thanks to the support of MS in the form of MSoffice they were able to claw themselves back from the brink.

I was a Windows user since 3.11 but I bought my first Macbook four years ago and fell in love with it to the extent of being the Apple fanboi.

But today the Mac OS Tiger seems dated and I'm loving windows 7 and I use it more.than I use the Mac OS on my Macbook. I think Apple will quickly find itself in the same position as RIM was 2 yrs back. How will they ensure compatibility with nearly 100 million iOS devices while they bring a path breaking product. They have been on the same incremental upgrade path as Windows and RIM were a few years back.

Windows seems to be changing the game with Windows 8 and I see no answer from Apple and RIM is clawing back with BBOS10 which is ready for the future. The transition for RIM has been painful no doubt, but once it's done they are good for another 10 yrs and maybe more with QNX flexibility. IOS has made no significant upgrades besides specific apps like SIRI.

I find the Android evolution to be far more exciting than iOS.
    However I wouldn't count Apple out and I'm really interested to see how the most valuable tech company handles this challenge. Will they go the way of the industry and find themselves in a corner a few years from now or will they be themselves and change the game for handling an entrenched user base while still being innovative.
    Last edited by sam_b77; 03-22-12 at 08:09 PM.
    03-22-12 08:06 PM
    A few weeks ago RIM held a job fair in Toronto. Lot's of applicants, even some former emps who were either laid off or left for whatever reason.
    This is the sort of stuff that pi&&es me off. We have firms like that here in Australia. They'll lay off thousands of workers, ship jobs overseas and then spend thousands of dollars advertising and attending job fairs to get employees.

A friend of mine was recently made redundant - got a big payout - and was hired again by the same firm with a PAY INCREASE the next week.

All done for the stock market.
    03-22-12 08:32 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD