My biggest pet peeve with messenger is:

When having a conversation with someone and they just stop, and you don't hear from them for hours, days or weeks. Then they get back on like they never left. For Gods sake, at least say goodbye, cya, ttyl. You wouldn't do that if you were in a room with someone having a conversation.

What is your biggest pet peeve?
    01-22-09 10:48 PM
    My biggest pet peeve with messenger is:

When having a conversation with someone and they just stop, and you don't hear from them for hours, days or weeks. Then they get back on like they never left. For Gods sake, at least say goodbye, cya, ttyl. You wouldn't do that if you were in a room with someone having a conversation.

What is your biggest pet peeve?
    I believe the most important bit to retrieve from your words above are: "You wouldn't do that if you were in a room with someone havng a conversation**."

**Keeping in mind that BBM technically isn't a face to face conversation, or one that's communicated over the phone...or even through e-mail/IM'ing such as AIM, Yahoo, etc. I suppose that numerous people view and approach BBM as a type of 'open-ended' conversation where it's always 'ON'; there's no definitive closure for many unless they delete a person they've been communicating with, or if they abrupty make themselves unavailable (both through status and just not communicating) in what seemingly is in the middle of a conversation.

I agree with you on the part that there should be some basic/minimum etiquette for the sake of maintaining some sort of structure to the conversation. That is Hi-Def's $0.02; however taking inflation into consideration...it may be worth less than that; I'll counter that by adding a higher APR % rate...bringing it back to $0.02; or possibly at a appreciated value (wish I could say the same for my townhome ).

G'night.
    Last edited by Hi-Definition; 01-22-09 at 11:48 PM.
    01-22-09 11:45 PM
    My biggest pet peeves (yes that was plural) would be people that take BBM too seriously and people who have no concept of "real life". What I mean by that is people who get upset or impatient with you because your helping your kid with their homework, or your in the middle of a business meeting and you don't reply back as soon as they would have wished, so they decide to PING the living crap out of you. That really pisses me off.

This usually ends up with me giving that contact a verbal "reality lesson" (not meanly) and if they keep it up, I have no problem hitting the delete button.
    01-23-09 07:57 AM
    Yea don't take BBM too seriously. I have things to do. I wish BBM had a sign off option. Luckily I don't have any crazy contacts lol. But if u are busy just switch your status to unavailable. Decent people will respect that and talk to you later.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-09 08:02 AM
    man even when I'm iming someone sometimes I have to leave the computer/Blackberry so fast cause my son is doning something he shouldn't be doing that I don't have time to type BRB, Later, Bye or nothing, Sorry but my son's life, health, andf happiness are way more important than any conversation on im/bbm, any car, truck, phone and yes if it came down to my son or the BlackBerry I would smash the BlackBerry in a heartbeat.
    01-23-09 08:22 AM
    My biggest pet Peeve is...........BBm's that never talk! Or have no sence of humor or take everything to serious!
    01-23-09 01:36 PM
    My biggest is like the first poster said leaving a conversation open. Like talking and all of a sudden they don't say anything. I'm ok with that however just say bye, ttyl, or something. My other is people who say I want BBM friends. You pin them and they never contact you or they accept and you never hear from them.

01-23-09 02:12 PM
    Ping should be like breaking out the fire extinguisher- for emergency purposes only- it drives me crazy when people ping you because you don't answer right away. If I don't answer, it means I'm busy.
    01-23-09 03:17 PM
    Yea don't take BBM too seriously. I have things to do. I wish BBM had a sign off option. Luckily I don't have any crazy contacts lol. But if u are busy just switch your status to unavailable. Decent people will respect that and talk to you later.

While in BBM, hit the BB button > My Status > change it to unavailable. You can even leave a message as to why you are unavailable.
    01-23-09 03:27 PM
    My biggest peeves involve BBM itself. No archive feature like all the other IM programs have, and things of that nature.

My biggest peeves with the people who use it involve people who want a pic and then disappear forever upon receipt. Lol. Like what were you expecting, Mr Universe or something? I mean really... And why does it really matter *that* much anyway? Its just talking, to people who aren't likely to ever meet in person anyway.

01-23-09 03:50 PM
    Pet Peeve would be when someone adds you, but they don't say anything... ?? why add someone then?
    01-24-09 01:26 AM
    My biggest pet peeves (yes that was plural) would be people that take BBM too seriously and people who have no concept of "real life". What I mean by that is people who get upset or impatient with you because your helping your kid with their homework, or your in the middle of a business meeting and you don't reply back as soon as they would have wished, so they decide to PING the living crap out of you. That really pisses me off.

This usually ends up with me giving that contact a verbal "reality lesson" (not meanly) and if they keep it up, I have no problem hitting the delete button.
    Yeh, I totally agree with you about the PING, I think I might have used it once since owning the BB. I am not always thrilled when someone PINGs me.

I have a great level of respect for all my contacts. I too have a busy schedule, with work, family etc. I try not to even start conversations if I am busy, especially with my family. And when I have to end a conversation, normally the contact on the other end always understands and visa versa.

I don't take it seriously, it is just a pet peeve. If I took it seriously, I would be angry, which I am not.

I wish BB had the feature to make yourself unavailable to individual contacts (just another small pet peeve or a wish).

Have a great day-and smile, life is short.
    01-24-09 06:31 AM
    I believe the most important bit to retrieve from your words above are: "You wouldn't do that if you were in a room with someone havng a conversation**."

**Keeping in mind that BBM technically isn't a face to face conversation, or one that's communicated over the phone...or even through e-mail/IM'ing such as AIM, Yahoo, etc. I suppose that numerous people view and approach BBM as a type of 'open-ended' conversation where it's always 'ON'; there's no definitive closure for many unless they delete a person they've been communicating with, or if they abrupty make themselves unavailable (both through status and just not communicating) in what seemingly is in the middle of a conversation.

I agree with you on the part that there should be some basic/minimum etiquette for the sake of maintaining some sort of structure to the conversation. That is Hi-Def's $0.02; however taking inflation into consideration...it may be worth less than that; I'll counter that by adding a higher APR % rate...bringing it back to $0.02; or possibly at a appreciated value (wish I could say the same for my townhome ).

G'night.

WOW!!! That was a big answer to a "simple question".

Thank you for using the word etiquette, which should be used in every aspect (including messenger) of our lives.
    01-24-09 06:40 AM
    WOW!!! That was a big answer to a "simple question".
    I did your thread a favor; trust me. Just joking.....I think.

:-)

01-24-09 02:34 PM
    I did your thread a favor; trust me. Just joking.....I think.

:-)

I really need to thank you for helping me out with this thread. I seriously do not know how I survived this entire time without your assistance.
    01-24-09 10:27 PM
    - Ping
    - unable to save conversations to a file
    - not being able to sign off. I went Unavailable and still got messages/Pings.

01-25-09 01:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD