So. My girl friend, our friend (who is also a girl) and myself (so i will be living with two women) are going to be moving into an apartment shortly. We are currently between 3 different ones that we cant decide on. We all want the same things, but we also want some different things. The ones we are looking at are around the same price and in the exact same part of town (King of prussia Pa..if anyone knows where that is)

So ill just give everyone some information on each.

Number 1 (the original one we all liked) It is a 1232 sqaure foot, 2 bed, 2 bath with a den. It has a open kitchen, open floor plan, good size rooms, and a deck. The down side is that it is on the first floor, and we can hear the guy above us walk around, and can also hear his washer and dryer. This is $1600 a month.

Number 2 (the one my girlfriend and friend like) is a 1155 square foot 2 bed, 2 bath with a loft. It has a smaller kitchen, semi open floor plan, good size rooms and a balcony (but it is small). It has a storage space in the loft that can be turned into an office (and this room is about 1 square foot smaller then our friends room would be in the apartment said above). This one is on the 3rd or 4th floor of the building and it over looks the pool and river. My problem with this 1 is that there wouldnt be enough space for all of us. This one is $1550 a month

Number 3 (the one I like) is a 1176 square foot 2 bed, 2 bath. It has 2 balconies (one off of the master and 2nd bedroom) each side of the apartment has the exact same size rooms with there own bathrooms, and walk in closets. The kitchen is a good size and the livingroom is good to (perfect for a flat screen TV and my PS3) I cant really think about anything that is bad about this one, exept that it is on the 1st floor.

If anyone wants to see the floor plans just let me know and ill send you think link to them. I just want to see what other people would say and if you would agree with me or my girlfriend and our friend. Keep in mind we are all 22 years old.
    02-22-10 10:50 AM
    keep in mind that lugging groceries and furniture up 3-4 flights of stairs gets old fast!!!
    02-22-10 10:54 AM
    1. 3 would be my second choice. You don't specify the rent for #3. The den is a nice feature for some one to get away without going to a bedroom. As for the guy overhead, you never know who might move in later that could be just as noisy or quieter.

My only apartment was a great building until a couple moved in above me (3rd floor) and complained about loud music on the weekend.
    02-22-10 11:14 AM
    I haven't lived in an apartment for 20 something years but when I did I always
    went for the lowest level available.

In an emergency it is always easier to evacuate. The downside is that it is also
    the easiest for burglars or other people of bad intent to breach.

I would factor both of those into the equation and seeing as you have two
    women in residence safety, not space, should be the paramount concern.
    02-22-10 11:20 AM
    I know KOP and it's a pretty safe area, but AG raises a good point about 1st floor apartments.

OP, you can file a right to know request with Upper Merion Township to get a history of burglaries, vandalism, etc. at the buildings you're looking at.
    02-22-10 11:25 AM
    Definitely keep in mind folks above you...if you could hear him walking around in the short time you were there, you might want to think about the weekends when you want to relax and he's tromping around doing his laundry. That end-of-lease date can get awful far off when you have someone loud above you...I speak from personal experience. We just moved out of a sub-basement apartment where the person above us had a kindergarten age girl who, upon arriving home, would proceed to get her pogo stick out (ok, I'm exaggerating just slightly)...but you get the picture. The other thing I didn't like about being on the bottom level is that I just didn't feel safe sleeping with the windows open, no matter how "safe" the community is (have a wife & 3 young children), and windows open in the spring and fall is something I really enjoy.
    All in all, consider your lease length and think about whether you can deal with the negatives of whichever choice you make for that length of time.
    02-22-10 11:37 AM
    keep in mind that lugging groceries and furniture up 3-4 flights of stairs gets old fast!!!
    Elevators are great for that haha
    02-22-10 12:53 PM
    I know KOP and it's a pretty safe area, but AG raises a good point about 1st floor apartments.

OP, you can file a right to know request with Upper Merion Township to get a history of burglaries, vandalism, etc. at the buildings you're looking at.
    If you know KOP Im sure you know where trooper road is, we are looking at the apartments off of the trooper road exit. River View Landing and The Lofts at Valley Forge.
    02-22-10 12:54 PM
    I do. Go cycling on the Schuylkill trail. That's in West Norriton Township, so you can check there for crime activity.

One caution, since the apartments have been built, the river has flooded at least once into the complex.
    02-22-10 01:29 PM
    im always iffy with living on the first floor..you never know with some people these days having the urge to kick at windows, yes...it actually happens...i wouldnt go with option 1 because of the guy upstairs i live in an apartment now and i hear every little thing the b*tch does upstairs...

option 2 if you feel that its not enough space...then dont take it your gonna have 3 ppl sharing this room the last thing you want to feel is sufficated in your own place

option 3 again i dunno about the first floor

may be keep on hunting, but if the neighbour is good on option 3 then id go for it
    02-22-10 05:18 PM
    Well, i say its on the first floor, but its an evelaved first floor because the parking garage is on the ground floor...
    02-22-10 05:21 PM
    I live in a first floor apartment and the one thing that does drive me crazy is the little girl upstairs likes to pole vault and hold royal rumbles every hour on the hour or so it seems. Besides that I love how convenient living on the first floor is. We can park our vehicles right next to the door and easily unload the groceries and is nice for just about anything really. I usually keep the windows closed, so not too worried about the whole security thing. Also our apartment is right around 1200sqft and me and the wife have 2 kids together and then 2 more stepkids. It is quite squeezed for sure! Really need a house like ASAP, however money is always the issue. Is expensive taking care of 4 kids and me and the wife do fairly well with our jobs. by the way, dam that is a lot of cheddar for an apartment! We pay 560 for ours and we live in a really nice community in Ohio. Seems really expensive. Are they brand new apartments or something with all utilities included? Better come with a lifetime or beer supplied or something. I could see if you were living in a big city or cali, but hot dam that is a lot of money for PA.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-10 02:03 AM
    This part of pa is pretty expensive, the apartments are about 5 years old. Utilities are not included, but we asked about that and they said normally no more then like 200 total.

02-23-10 07:59 AM
    I live in a first floor apartment and the one thing that does drive me crazy is the little girl upstairs likes to pole vault and hold royal rumbles every hour on the hour or so it seems.
    This sounds like my situation. There are 6 to 7 people living in the apartment above me(its only 2 bedroom!) and it always sounds like they are having UFC matches up there. My bedroom is right below their living room. Its ridiculous. I don't know how many times I've been woken up at 2 in the morning to excessive pounding on the floors. Sometimes I think they just stand there and stomp their feet.
    02-23-10 08:10 AM
    This part of pa is pretty expensive, the apartments are about 5 years old. Utilities are not included, but we asked about that and they said normally no more then like 200 total.

And I might add the complex is located on a very scenic area of the Schyulkill River and adjacent to Valley Forge National Park.
    02-23-10 08:11 AM
    This sounds like my situation. There are 6 to 7 people living in the apartment above me(its only 2 bedroom!) and it always sounds like they are having UFC matches up there. My bedroom is right below their living room. Its ridiculous. I don't know how many times I've been woken up at 2 in the morning to excessive pounding on the floors. Sometimes I think they just stand there and stomp their feet.
    If i was allowed to i would bring my dog and just let him upstairs to handle that situation haha
    02-23-10 08:37 AM
    And I might add the complex is located on a very scenic area of the Schyulkill River and adjacent to Valley Forge National Park.
    Yes, very good point. It is a prime spot to have. I just hope we get an apartment that looks out over the river, and not into another apartment building. I just hope the river doesnt flood, not so much for me because i drive a lifted truck, but for my girlfriend and room mate, they both drive sports cars.
    02-23-10 08:39 AM
    If i was allowed to i would bring my dog and just let him upstairs to handle that situation haha
    Haha! That's a good idea. My ex was a K9 handler in the Air Force...too bad he doesn't have any dogs anymore.
    02-23-10 08:41 AM

Man, that is a rough go! Me and my wife would be able to live in a good 2500sqft house around here for that price per month. A new house to boot!

I feel for ya! Maybe check some other areas that are not so expensive, but maybe it is convenient for ya and if you have the money, do as you will.

Word, drives me nuts, however, I would think you have it worse than me with that many people living above you. Man, I would go insane! In my case it is primarily their daughter and them two, but they are quieter than her.

Yes, very good point. It is a prime spot to have. I just hope we get an apartment that looks out over the river, and not into another apartment building. I just hope the river doesnt flood, not so much for me because i drive a lifted truck, but for my girlfriend and room mate, they both drive sports cars.
    Gotcha, sounds like a nice place, I just know with 4 kids and my toys I like, I would never be able to do that.

My apartment with only having to pay electric runs around 700 smacks a month, higher in the summer with AC.
    Our cars run 300 and 270 a month, so 570.
    Internet, cable and landline...170
    Cells....180, 4 lines.
    Random bills.....not giving that out, but would still would only be a couple hundred more than your place of living.

More power to you though!
    02-23-10 02:38 PM
    We actually looked at a different floor plan, and we talked to the heating/AC company and in the dead heat of summer, the bill was $212, split between 3 people so about 70 per person isnt to bad.. but ofcourse my girlfriend didnt like that one, she likes the 1 with the loft that is 1155 sqft, so i think we are going to have to go with that one.. kinda sucks because i havent really had a say in anything.
    02-24-10 08:00 AM
    Man, that is a rough go! Me and my wife would be able to live in a good 2500sqft house around here for that price per month. A new house to boot!

I feel for ya! Maybe check some other areas that are not so expensive, but maybe it is convenient for ya and if you have the money, do as you will.

Word, drives me nuts, however, I would think you have it worse than me with that many people living above you. Man, I would go insane! In my case it is primarily their daughter and them two, but they are quieter than her.

Gotcha, sounds like a nice place, I just know with 4 kids and my toys I like, I would never be able to do that.

My apartment with only having to pay electric runs around 700 smacks a month, higher in the summer with AC.
    Our cars run 300 and 270 a month, so 570.
    Internet, cable and landline...170
    Cells....180, 4 lines.
    Random bills.....not giving that out, but would still would only be a couple hundred more than your place of living.

More power to you though!
    Your cell bill with 4 lines is as much as mine is with 2 haha
    02-24-10 08:01 AM
    Jeesh. I only have one line and mine is always around $100!
    02-24-10 08:28 AM
    Another option is renting a house, if you can find one in the area in the price range you are looking for, or a duplex with a common wall that is like the garage or bathrooms.

That way your neighbor is more likely next to you, rather than on top of you.

But never even think about any options where there is not enough space (even if you think it's not enough space), because once you get three people, and their stuff into a space you think will not work, the time that you know for sure it's not going to work is half way into move in day, and that's the wrong day to be finding that out.

Hopefully you can find out what the utilities run for the summer and winter months, for the places that you are looking at. This will be important if you live with polar bears in the summer that turn into nudist in the winter that need the heat at 80 all day.
    02-24-10 01:48 PM
    The smaller sq footage wouldn't be bad if all three of you were sharing the same bedroom. But other wise option 2 sounds way too small.
    02-24-10 03:14 PM
    The smaller sq footage wouldn't be bad if all three of you were sharing the same bedroom. But other wise option 2 sounds way too small.
    Yeah, thats what we dont want. Our friend wants a bathroom in her room, and obviously we would have one in ours. But my girlfriend is bring difficult because she wants the loft, and our friend and I dont haha.
    02-25-10 08:57 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD