I'm watching Last Action Hero (yes with Arnold S.) and they had a mini disc player. It reminded me that I actually had one of those and they were awesome when they came out!! Before ipods they held more music than regular cds and were smaller. Now I gave an ipod touch and a blackberry, when you think about it , it really is amazing how fast things are here and gone. And before you ask yes its 4 in the morn and yes I may have been drinking and ya know what who cares if its Monday

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-08 03:25 AM
    LMAO -I remeber getting my mini disc player it was my pride and joy LOL! oh how times change!!

I was looking at my 4GB micro card the other day and thinking I am still amazed all the stuff you can get on one of those and no bigger than your finger nail!!

If somebody would have told me that 5 years ago I would have never beleived it!!

Enjoy your drink!!
    07-01-08 03:35 AM
    I knew I want the only gadget freak those were great while they lasted!! So right with those micro cards, 8 gigs!!!! That's insane if you think about it from just a few years back, now its common

07-01-08 03:40 AM
    Yeah I remember those! thats funny, just think they are going to release (if they haven't yet) a thumb drive that hold 32gigs that is crazy. I remember when you had a PC that had 32gig took up like 3 street blocks of space and cost a small fortune!!
    07-01-08 04:57 AM
    Still up drinking???! HECK YEAH... oh, i mean... yeah.. sure.. i remember those!
    07-01-08 05:23 AM
    I had one of them too they were pretty cool at the time they just never took off.
    07-01-08 09:27 AM
    Yeah I remember those usually when I get drunk I watch Car Wash and think about my 8 track player that I have no 8 track tapes not that I really want any.

07-01-08 09:32 AM
    You definately were drinking to watch that movie. It was Arny's worst film ever. The mini disc was ahead of its time. Just like ever other ahead of its time electronic thing. If I remember they were way expensive compared to recording to cassetes which was a huge success. And I believe CDs were just starting to catch on as well. Even now with mini discs for PCs it still is mostly a failure. Perhaps if the mini disc was what CDs were then it would have succeeded. The idea was great and perhaps as optical storage advances in greater copacity and smaller size like HD and flash technology advances the mini disc concept will be a success unless flash drive and SD cards reach a point that supercedes optical technology. Its quite possible that optical goes the way of floppy and software will come on some sort of card like SD. 10 years ago people would laugh at the idea of having GBs worth of data stored on something only about 1" square and a few mm thick. But yet we have that and likely will have 10-20 times that in 5 years or so perhaps.
    07-01-08 11:24 AM
    remember in the movie men in black...

tommy lee jones holds up a TEENY TINY LITTLE cd and says you could store your whole collection on there..."guess i'll have to buy the white album again...."

you almost can these days. (i have a pretty big music collection...)

-db
    07-01-08 11:31 AM
    Feeling old -

I remember when cassette tapes replaced 8-track tapes.

07-01-08 11:40 AM
    hahah i still have my mini disk player.
    i dont use it (obviously .my itouch is way easier) but awee i loved it.
    i always always made my dad make me the disks cause i thought it was too complicated.

i have some really good playlists on there...hmmm
    07-01-08 12:39 PM
    Shouttt idunno bout yall but I still got one my bro use to plug his turntables up to em and record mixes onto them good stuff I liked those things they where coo I should check it out again I like listenin to my old music mixes makes me smile loll

07-01-08 12:43 PM
    I had a Mini Disc player and thought it was the coolest thing. I don't even remember what I did with it, though!
    07-01-08 01:16 PM
    I had one of those! I didn't even really use it for music. I just used it to record my profs so I could sleep in the first row. It got me covered since I couldn't stay up long enough to get the notes down.
    07-01-08 03:11 PM
    Oh man I was still using my mini-disc player before I got my BlackBerry :P

What I had:
    07-02-08 12:51 AM
    I had a mini disc player. My younger brother and his friends broke it one day though. The thing was so badass. I can remember listening to it on the bus home from school and having girls talk to me just because if it. CD players were so lame compared to it. That was when mp3 players were just breaking out though and before the ipod.

Optical versus flash. Its hard to say. Last I knew 64GB was the largest flash drive you could get for your computer and it is way too expensive. Flash drives are faster and more reliable but the cost is holding them back. Eventually unet everything will move in that direction though. Small devices already did because of the power savings. Ever wonder why the PSP's battery life sucks? Its basically due to the UMD drive (which is basically modern mini disc).

07-02-08 01:20 AM
    64GB on a flash drive is impressive when you think about how very short of time the tech has been out. Heck only about 5 years ago SD cards only had like 256 or 512MB and now 8GB. That's very impressive considering it took HDDs over 20 years to reach 1TB. And when you compare physical size to capacity you would think it would have gone quicker.

A BD (blue ray disc) holds 25GB (SL) and 50GB (DL). Flash drives and SD cards are significantly smaller than optical discs and you don't have the downsides associated with discs.

At the rate capacity increases on SD cards 5 years from now we should see 256GB or larger available. Flash drives I would think would be near 1TB. I don't think optical will advance nearly as fast.

And it seems to me that access speeds etc, significantly lower power consumption of SD and flash make it a very reasonable replacement to optical. Especially as we continue in progress towards better portability of technology and energy conservation and efficient use of it.

07-02-08 02:46 AM
    I still have my mini disc players its a white sport model with a orange led screen , i still use it to this day , that and i also have a mini disc recorder for when i want to sample movies
    07-03-08 12:33 PM
    Yes I defintely remember them. I own a portable player and a home deck. lol
    Wow, as a matter of fact, when I ran out of battery power on my ipod this morning, I pulled out my mini disc player. So much good music on those too..lol
    07-10-08 05:06 PM
    I loved my mini disc player back in the day, they were awsome!

07-10-08 05:22 PM
    i think i still have mine in a closet somewhere.
    07-12-08 04:07 AM
    ahh I remember those. Although i never personally owned one, I had friends that had them.
    I, unlike them, waited for the ipod revolution to start, and boy were they jealous when I was the first in my school to have one.

Go Technology!
    07-12-08 11:17 AM
    those were so hard to load with music
    07-12-08 02:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD