I seriously am going to lose my mind!

Does anyone have any tips on helping to fall asleep besides prescription meds? I have tried Ambien in the past and it gave me super weird dreams and I am hoping that turning to a script is last resort.

This has become really bad in the past couple of weeks. And then when it gets to this time of night (when I usually go to bed) I start getting panicky because I am anticipating whats to come. The worst is around 1-2 am and I lie there feeling like the ONLY person in the world awake.

Even Tylenol or Excederin PM isnt working any longer.
    05-31-09 10:34 PM
    Relaxation tapes, not drugs. Though I don't personally have a problem, I just don't need much. Ambien is terrible, I've heard that too many times.
    05-31-09 10:37 PM
    Try exercising in the morning hours. Nothing too complicated. Go for a walk, or jog, do push up, sit ups etc.

I tend to stay up really late too. I usually sleep around 2 or 3 am. I hope that helps. Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 11:21 PM
    I have always had trouble sleeping at night and have yet to find something that actually works for me. Everyone is different though so what works for some may not for others.

There are several different methods at there: Chamonille tea, other types of teas (I don't remember any of the other tea names but if you do a search you should be able to find them), relaxation tapes, some say drinking warm milk before bed helps them sleep.

You should also avoid anything with caffiene in it at least 4 hours before bed. And I have seen reports that cell phone use before bed can affect your sleeping habits.

Techtree.com India > News > Gadgets > Mobile Phones Disrupt Sleep Habits

Last edited by kakakasiBB; 06-03-09 at 04:57 AM.
    06-01-09 03:00 AM

Does anyone have any tips on helping to fall asleep besides prescription meds? I have tried Ambien in the past and it gave me super weird dreams and I am hoping that turning to a script is last resort.

This has become really bad in the past couple of weeks. And then when it gets to this time of night (when I usually go to bed) I start getting panicky because I am anticipating whats to come. The worst is around 1-2 am and I lie there feeling like the ONLY person in the world awake.

Have your man rub your back real soft while you lay in bed... When my wifes does it, im out like a baby soon thereafter..
    06-01-09 05:20 AM
    Jen,

There is a couple of natural supplements that can help: Melatonin, Valerian Root, and l-Tryptophan. Make sure the room you sleep in is cool and dark, and if you can't fall asleep in 15 minutes, then get up go to another room and read or watch TV, or just sit for 15-30 minutes, then try again to sleep in the bedroom.
    06-01-09 09:12 AM
    Melatonin works very good for me, I get good sleep and it's non addictive!
    06-01-09 09:29 AM
    Well I'd say chamomile tea is my 2nd best. The best is sex unless u have a baby cuz then ur always tired! Reading usually helps me unless its a good book. Don't be offended if ur a fan but to kill a mocking bird and of mice and men always worked for me in hs.

06-01-09 11:45 AM
    Melatonin works wonders. Your body produces this naturally abd the tablets just help your bodys cycles balance out. Highly recommend it.

Take it right before bed. Might take a few days to start to work.

Good luck and keep us updated.

06-01-09 11:49 AM
    Have your man rub your back real soft while you lay in bed... When my wifes does it, im out like a baby soon thereafter..
    Well I'd say chamomile tea is my 2nd best. The best is sex unless u have a baby cuz then ur always tired!
    I can completely agree with the effectiveness of both of these suggestions. However due to my single status, neither are an option for me at this time

I will try the tea. Also, where is this Melatonin stuff sold? At a health food store, or just any drugstore in the vitamin section?
    06-01-09 12:12 PM

I have been on the exact same boat as you for the past couple of months. Someone asked me recently if I'm worried about something. My answer was yes. I worry during the day that I won't be able to fall asleep at night. It's become a real, real problem. I literally worry about being able to fall asleep and it's a problem. The best I've been able to do is taking a couple of NyQuil caplets at at most, twice a week with days in between, otherwise your body just gets used to it and they won't work.

But I definetly understand the panciky part. You're worried if you're going to get good sleep. It's tough sometimes.
    06-01-09 12:21 PM
    I have been on the exact same boat as you for the past couple of months. Someone asked me recently if I'm worried about something. My answer was yes. I worry during the day that I won't be able to fall asleep at night. It's become a real, real problem. I literally worry about being able to fall asleep and it's a problem. The best I've been able to do is taking a couple of NyQuil caplets at at most, twice a week with days in between, otherwise your body just gets used to it and they won't work.

But I definetly understand the panciky part. You're worried if you're going to get good sleep. It's tough sometimes.
    thank goodness somebody knows! the panicky feeling while first lying there is awful.....then when the wee hours roll around....I look outside and no other houses lights are on, and everyone I know is in bed (cant call/text), even this website slows down to a crawl, I seriously feel like Im the only person in the world. Plus, thats when my mind seems to drift to places that upset me (****e like life, where Im at in life, experiences, etc). Now Im sleep-deprivation rambling.

and I chugged the rest of my Nyquil last week
    06-01-09 12:29 PM
    thank goodness somebody knows! the panicky feeling while first lying there is awful.....then when the wee hours roll around....I look outside and no other houses lights are on, and everyone I know is in bed (cant call/text), even this website slows down to a crawl, I seriously feel like Im the only person in the world. Plus, thats when my mind seems to drift to places that upset me (****e like life, where Im at in life, experiences, etc). Now Im sleep-deprivation rambling.

and I chugged the rest of my Nyquil last week
    The bolded font in your quote is exactly what pertains to me as well. I think this happens because laying down in my bed with the lights off, my eyes closed, it's the only chance really that I get to "slow down" and really think. And when I start to think too much, I think deeper and deeper. So when you're sleep is deprived, it's hard to even get tired. And once you do, any small noise will wake you up. It's tough.
    06-01-09 12:34 PM
    Try a nice glass of red wine in the evening to calm your nerves...
    06-01-09 12:41 PM
    Try a nice glass of red wine in the evening to calm your nerves...
    Dont tempt me I adore wine, however even though it does make me sleepy, it also ends in me waking up an hour later then even if I do sleep Im very restless. Maybe Im not drinking enough of it.....

So I edit my previous statement....prescription sleeping pills 2nd to last resort, becoming a night time alcoholic absolute last

I appreciate all the suggestions though!
    06-01-09 01:15 PM
    Dont tempt me I adore wine, however even though it does make me sleepy, it also ends in me waking up an hour later then even if I do sleep Im very restless. Maybe Im not drinking enough of it.....

So I edit my previous statement....prescription sleeping pills 2nd to last resort, becoming a night time alcoholic absolute last

Jen, let me know if you come up with some sort of solution. I'm starting to lean towards sleeping pills and I really don't want to go that route.
    06-01-09 01:22 PM
    Jen, let me know if you come up with some sort of solution. I'm starting to lean towards sleeping pills and I really don't want to go that route.
    I'm with you there, and I will. I dont even like taking Tylenol for a headache. Going on the hunt tonight for this Melatonin stuff......and a website with middle of the night action, so I can keep occupied rather than drown in my thoughts

Stay tuned........
    06-01-09 01:28 PM
    Ugh! I so know what you mean. No sleep! I get so tired (literally) of tossing and turning at night. I've tried melatonin, but that was short lived. I really don't like taking anything else... Maybe I will try exercising in the a.m. and hopefully being exhausted in the p.m.
    06-02-09 12:51 PM
    Ugh! I so know what you mean. No sleep! I get so tired (literally) of tossing and turning at night. I've tried melatonin, but that was short lived. I really don't like taking anything else... Maybe I will try exercising in the a.m. and hopefully being exhausted in the p.m.
    Doesn't help believe me. I excercise monday - thursday from about 8pm through 10-11PM. Your body is exhausted but after a certain point you won't be able to sleep. The energy is still in there somehow and your hormones are running wild after a workout.
    06-02-09 01:17 PM

I've read a bunch of your posts and you come across as a fairly sane and rational human...I don't know if this is for you but for me it worked; I quit trying to fight the fact that I was not gonna sleep and I went with it; like, I found stuff to do at those times I couldn't sleep. Get out of the house, go somewhere that has something going on, be with other people who are out then, get a night job, jog, go into your yard and garden by the moon; KWIM?
    You don't know why your internal clock is telling you to be up but it sounds like that's what it's doing. So you show up tired and groggy for work...so what? If you can still Underwrite Bonds what does it matter if you also paint watercolors when most are sleeping? Show me in the "Grand Instruction Manual of Life" where it says you can't or shouldn't be up at night?
    I lived for years in Minnesota and we had a phrase we used for what the letters of Iowa stood for...maybe that's you? So what, go wander, don't fight the clock.
    Last edited by bumblesbounce; 06-03-09 at 02:55 PM.
    06-03-09 02:52 PM
    I've read a bunch of your posts and you come across as a fairly sane and rational human...I don't know if this is for you but for me it worked; I quit trying to fight the fact that I was not gonna sleep and I went with it; like, I found stuff to do at those times I couldn't sleep. Get out of the house, go somewhere that has something going on, be with other people who are out then, get a night job, jog, go into your yard and garden by the moon; KWIM?
    You don't know why your internal clock is telling you to be up but it sounds like that's what it's doing. So you show up tired and groggy for work...so what? If you can still Underwrite Bonds what does it matter if you also paint watercolors when most are sleeping? Show me in the "Grand Instruction Manual of Life" where it says you can't or shouldn't be up at night?
    I lived for years in Minnesota and we had a phrase we used for what the letters of Iowa stood for...maybe that's you? So what, go wander, don't fight the clock.
    Ha! Why thank you. Most people tend to think I'm as crazy as a monkey house sh*t fight. But I'm cool with it

As per your post, that is some killer advice, and (for me) could help with the anxiousness. It actually reminds me of my grandmother.....who I swear would only sleep 3 hours a night. Was not uncommon for her to be making a batch of cannoli or weeding her flower garden at 2 in the morning. When we would rib her about it, she would simply say "the big sleep is coming, I'll catch up then"

One of the main things however, is the continual lack of sleep is beginning to affect me as far as lacking motivation to work out, or really do anything at night because even though my mind may be going a 100 miles an hour, my body is exhausted. And I know its beginning to take a toll appearance wise...people keep telling me I look tired and my skin isnt as glowy....Im sure dark circles and bags are just around the corner.

Until my circadian rhythm balances back out, or I find an aid, I do like your way of thinking! I'm not much of a painter, but I cant imagine anyone not needing some sweet latch-hook rugs. Ha!
    Last edited by Mavis Fesselmeyer; 06-04-09 at 08:59 AM.
    06-04-09 08:55 AM
    Ha! Why thank you. Most people tend to think I'm as crazy as a monkey house sh*t fight. But I'm cool with it

As per your post, that is some killer advice, and (for me) could help with the anxiousness. It actually reminds me of my grandmother.....who I swear would only sleep 3 hours a night. Was not uncommon for her to be making a batch of cannoli or weeding her flower garden at 2 in the morning. When we would rib her about it, she would simply say "the big sleep is coming, I'll catch up then"

One of the main things however, is the continual lack of sleep is beginning to affect me as far as lacking motivation to work out, or really do anything at night because even though my mind may be going a 100 miles an hour, my body is exhausted. And I know its beginning to take a toll appearance wise...people keep telling me I look tired and my skin isnt as glowy....Im sure dark circles and bags are just around the corner.

Until my circadian rhythm balances back out, or I find an aid, I do like your way of thinking! I'm not much of a painter, but I cant imagine anyone not needing some sweet latch-hook rugs. Ha!
    Hot green or ginsing tea with a tbsp of honey and a shot of lemon, 30 minutes of silent unfocused focused mediation and buy yourself a metronome and set it to the slowest setting. Meditate on it's sound, explore it's depth and relax. An electronic metronome would also work as well.
    06-05-09 12:01 AM
    Try the melatonin. You can find it anywhere that sells vitamins. Walmart and most grocery stores that have a vitamin aisle will have it.

Try a low dose first. You'll find Melatonin is doses between 500mcg to 3mg. Try 1mg and below.

I'll take 500mcg (that's half of 1mg) 1/2 half before bed and it works great.
    06-05-09 02:25 AM

Never seen a monkey house poo fight...till I got divorced. The cool part about taking a couple 3 hour napsfor any given 24 hour period is I really get to work out my Bieks Dream Dictionary!

06-05-09 09:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD