We moved into a condo not too long ago and we finally bought a ceiling track light to install....

There is a spot in living room with a fixture pre-cut out with wires.. There was nothing installed there before, just a white cover..

It's a newer condo (built in 2008)...

I have installed a bathroom fixture in my old house but i have never seen this type of wire setup before.. (the bathroom fixture was 3 single wires.. white, black, copper... this one is confusing!!

There are 4 coloured wires:

3 separate red ones all capped with the same cap
    3 separate white wires all capped with the same cap
    the green and copper wire (ground i am assuming)
    and a single Yellow wire capped

what's the red and white?
    is the yellow one hot?

i opened up the light switch to where i am assuming it goes to cause the one switch doesn't do anything right now..

the one on the left turns on a power plug (our lamp), which has 3 red wires connected to it.. (1 on top, 2 on the bottom)

the other switch, which does nothing has a yellow and red connected to it....

The white wire is no where to be found so i don't know what the White is for? which one is the hot wire? there is no black wire? never seen this setup before ; <

any help would be GREAT
    11-11-11 02:17 PM
    It sounds like a 3-way switch setup to me.
    11-11-11 03:06 PM
    i'm just trying to figure out which one is equal to the usual Black and White wires...
    11-11-11 03:10 PM
    Did the fixture come with a wiring diagram? If not, a on-line search for one would be appropriate. Normally, I would say white goes to white. Red is generally a second black conductor for use in 3-way or more switch setup. Green is normally ground which connects to the bare wire. Don't know about yellow, but could be for something like a dimmer.

If push comes to shove some careful experimentation would be in order. Try white to white and black to red (putting black tape on the red wires is standard practice when using a color for a different purpose).

Good luck.
    11-12-11 07:40 AM
    so i figured it out.. someone on another forum helped me..

Red wires are always live so i tucked them away untouched.
    Green wires obviously Ground .. which connected to the Ground wire from the fixture
    Black wire goes to the yellow, which is the switch leg
    and white went to white, neutral..

capped and taped all of the wires.. works like a charm..

11-14-11 12:38 PM
    your middle and right pictures are crooked.
    11-14-11 01:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD