View Poll Results: How big of a role does Health play in your life?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Extremely important

9 50.00%
  • Mildly important

6 33.33%
  • Not really important

0 0%
  • Not a concern of mine

3 16.67%
    Ok...so I searched...THOROUGHLY...and I'm 90% sure there isn't a topic about this. But if there is...feel free to give me a slap in the face. I'll take it with pride. Onward with the thread...

I don't know about any of you. (because there's no thread lol) But I myself, suffer from SEVERAL illnesses and diseases, I'm a walking plague. (isn't that sexy?...thought so) What I want this thread to be about, is not only your health issues, struggles, and what you do to make certain things better or manageable...but to also be about the flip side. Healthy things you do. Whether its an amazing diet that keeps you lean, a protein diet for muscles, a workout routine, or flat out anything you do that keeps you healthy! You don't even have to carry the plague like me! Just anything health related. I wanna hear horror stories, success stories, I wanna hear about the Jared's (Subway dude) and lets hear about the run you make every day. Anybody? have anything they would like to share?

You may be shy when it comes to the health ISSUES...so I think I'll break the ice since I've got some 'not so proud' one's.

Crohn's Disease...does anyone know what this is? Rather than giving you a bunch of medical terminology and stuff you may have NO IDEA what I'm talking about...I'll put it in simple terms and facts that you may not want to hear. The average person will use the restroom (I'm not talking about number one...number twosy) 1-2 times a day. The average Crohn's patient will use it upwards of 7 times a day. How does that work? very carefully. Do you know what an ulcer is? It's basically a large open sore inside your body...sometimes people get them from stress, I myself (from Crohn's) have an average of 7 active at any time in my intestines. Ladies, you get cramps once a month, I get em everyday. Due to the ulcers and other Crohn's aspects, the walls of my stomach are damaged and I don't absorb much food. Hence the excessive urge to make the bathroom my bedroom.

So...what do I do to make it a little more manageable? I know a lot of Crohn's patients stay away from dairy products. I find that dairy has no effect on me...however, red meat and other foods that take the body longer to digest...DESTROY me.

Crohn's is a curse...and a gift at the same time. How is it a gift? I cant gain weight. It is next to impossible for me. I've weighed between 130 and 140 pounds for the past 8 yrs. I've never been able to break 140. I've tried the protein shakes, I've tried lifting weights...I eat literally ANYTHING (aside from red meat) I want and I cant gain anything! Its nice to know I will never be over weight, but it sucks knowing I'll always be a skinny dude. I don't want to write a novel, so I'll save the rest for later. I pass the torch onto...whoever posts next hahaha

Hope this goes well...
    09-21-08 09:53 PM
    lol and apparently socializing about health is an off-topic discussion

my bad my bad

here's my PIN by the way 30424C19 in case you're checking this on your BB and cant see it next to my avatar
    09-21-08 10:05 PM
    I was almost diagnosed with MS, thank god it was ruled out. So if the Spinal Taps are temporary fixes...do they have a long term solution? Like possible removal?

I've had a couple spinal taps...they're not so fun

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-08 12:54 AM
    Goog luck and hang in there.

09-22-08 01:36 AM
    Hey Spyderz!

Sorry to hear about your situation. I've taken care of many patients with this disorder and we treat them gently with lots of pain medicine because we are sympathetic to how painful it is.

Hang in there!!!

But how about these apples?

The very healthy athletic runners who come in and need open heart surgery at 35 years old because their arteries are clogged!!! You can try to change your life and do whatever it is to be healthy (whatever that is) but you can't change who you are, what you came from and what will happen. I am very healthy eat right and exercise but being a nurse and bearing witness to how much that has affect on what's going to happen makes me question my struggle every day.

Do what makes you happy within reason!!!

Pinkbuddy RN BSN
    09-22-08 05:05 AM
    Hey spy, I use to work in a GI office and I know how the pts suffer. I'm sorry you have to go thru all that. I had my gall bladder our in aug cuz of a stone, thought it would help but I'm still having the same pains.

09-22-08 06:49 AM
    I am blessed with great genes with later age diabetes on my horizon. But what a great idea. Perhaps a separate forum header "BB Health" may result. Count me in.
    When I get home this evening, I will check back in from the PC.

09-22-08 07:01 AM
    Pinkbuddy! You hit the nail on the head! I can't even begin to tell you how many people are shocked when they find out about all these health issues of mine...because I'm one of the happiest people I know! you can't change the cards you've been dealt, but you can change how you play them. No use crying over spilled milk, I can't change my laundry list. You either rule your health, or let it rule you. I personally know I can't change anything, so I don't waste time whining about it, I look for alternative living styles. Hence the main reason I started this thread!

I appreciate all the feedback and its nice to know a few of you have worked or do work in the medical field. I'm sure your knowledge will be called upon frequently in this thread lol

09-22-08 07:50 AM
    if you have chrons why dont you get surgery for it? And btw sorry to hear bout that
    09-22-08 08:26 AM
    The surgery, from what I've seen first hand and heard...is not good lol it gets rid of the pain, but ups the frequency..me personally? I don't mind the pain, I can take that...but using the bathroom every 2 hours sucks enough as it is...so I'll stick with the pain. There's no cure for crohn's..the surgery is a temporary fix, which I've seen go in the direction that I don't wanna go lol

09-22-08 10:59 AM
    if you have chrons why dont you get surgery for it? And btw sorry to hear bout that
    The only surgery is a temporary colostomy (**** bag) to rest the bowl. Then reconnect to later return to the same symptoms eventually. Why even bother with that unless the pain and stools is so severe that you cannot stand it?
    09-22-08 12:34 PM
    The only surgery is a temporary colostomy (**** bag) to rest the bowl. Then reconnect to later return to the same symptoms eventually. Why even bother with that unless the pain and stools is so severe that you cannot stand it?
    did you just insult me? and i was just wondering hey you know what sux i have keratoconus and i can wear hard lenses and cant go through surgery right now. I can barely see unless i squint and working an office job takes its toll. So im going hrough some of my own problems
    09-22-08 12:45 PM
    Crazy. I just sent a birthday package to a little girl I used to briefly tutor who had Crohn's. Being in and out of the hospital, she missed two years of school which prompted the need for private tutors. She had to undergo endless biopsy, endoscopy, colonoscopy and whatever else scopy treatments and still she had an incredible outlook and smile for everyone. An amazing girl and precocious as ****.
    09-22-08 01:17 PM
    did you just insult me? and i was just wondering hey you know what sux i have keratoconus and i can wear hard lenses and cant go through surgery right now. I can barely see unless i squint and working an office job takes its toll. So im going hrough some of my own problems
    Pretty sure she wasn't calling you **** bag. I think she was just clarifying what a colostomy was...
    09-22-08 01:18 PM
    Yyyyeah that colostomy is not so fun from what I've seen!! I feel for that little girl! Fortunatley I only missed a year of school, but I was in a wheelchair from it. My private tutor was the bomb! Lol

So with your eyes and being hard to see...are you able to legally drive and stuff? Or is it so bad you can't do a lot of those things?

09-22-08 01:27 PM
    well i took my dmv eye test with my contacts in and told em i dont wear contacts. Cant believe she didnt question why my eyes were bloodshot red. But when i squint i used ot be able to see 20 20 with the left eye. Now i dont have that good of vision cause it gets worse. My right eye is severly near sighted and looks the other way lol but i can get it fixed with a corneal transplant or intacs which are contacts within the eye but right now its school or eyes im going for school. But squinting all day takes its toll. Im tried and have frequent headaches
    09-22-08 01:51 PM
    Prince, my wife has keratoconus too. Most people haven't heard of it or know that it is a progressive disease where one's eyesight slowly gets worse until you're forced to have a transplant. They also don't know that it takes 10 or more fittings to get the hard contacts to fit properly -- or that the contacts cost us around $400 a pair -- we have Kaiser now and they won't pay for the lenses. The first insurance company we've had who won't pay for them. I feel for you. My wife is still doing OK -- 60/20, but it's getting harder and harder to get her contacts to fit properly. I hope they'll pay for the transplant when it's time.

Last edited by exelant; 09-22-08 at 02:02 PM.
    09-22-08 01:58 PM
    and you're out on the road? I'm scared lol

09-22-08 02:01 PM
    its not that bad during the day but night time its hard i can see the lights of the cars but not the shape its hard to explain but its all good
    09-22-08 02:11 PM
    Hahaha I once overdosed on Lithium (by accident) (which I also just confessed I'm bi-polar) and my eyes bugged out for about 3 days...I couldn't drive or anything. I could see people...and objects...but no faces or details...if that makes sense lol

Does anyone workout regularly? I'm lookin for a good ab excersize, I have a 4 pack and wanna make it a 6...but just can't grow them lol

09-22-08 02:59 PM
    I know my wife has trouble at night in the rain. She tends to drive away from lights -- which ensures that I'll be the one to get crunched by the street light pole, sign, whatever might be on the side of the road. I always insist on driving at night.

09-22-08 03:44 PM
    Sorry Prince... No I wasn't I was like it was stated clarifying what a colostomy was... this is not a tread for such things and I would not have found it appropriate to insult anyone here. Again I apologize.
    09-22-08 04:05 PM
    Definitely get a medicine and/or stability ball and some free weights. You can target just about every part of your abs with those balls. Abs are also about 90% diet and 10% exercise. Keep body fat low and the abs will show!
    09-22-08 04:32 PM
    Me... Lyme Disease: Got really sick over two years ago, don't know when the Tick bit me. Late stage which means it's a b*tch to cure. Antibiotics galore and now I've stepped it up to daily IV Antibiotics. Finally seeing a Top Lyme Doc in the U.S. Will beat this thing, just been a bit of a long haul. Grateful and positive.

It's a crime that while the controversy continues hundreds of thounsands continue to go undiagnosed.

Awareness is key. Here's a trailer on a new film on the subject: Untitled Document

Good thread, Thank you
    09-22-08 04:49 PM
    Definitely get a medicine and/or stability ball and some free weights. You can target just about every part of your abs with those balls. Abs are also about 90% diet and 10% exercise. Keep body fat low and the abs will show!
    Ah! Thank you! I definitely don't have to worry bout the body fat...cuz I could use all of that I can get! Lol I'm not like a skeleton but I'm def on the skinny side!

Exelant - I'm glad you insist on driving my sister has a problem with seeing at night, headlights...and lights in general don't do well for her. She literally stops driving at dusk...which sucks cuz she'll never come out to sing with me at the bar hahaha

PvT - so the daily IV meds is kind of a bummer, but how far away is the light at the end of the tunnel? Sounds like the top doc is gonna fix you up soon right??

And I have another question...lol for everyone.
    Does anyone here suffer from migraines? I've had em since I was 15. What works for you? I've taken almost every migraine pill in the book. The downside is that %90 or more require you to take em at the first onset of the migraine or their efficiency gets flushed down the toilet. I don't know about all of you but I've luckily had several headaches stop at the headache stage (without taking anything) so taking a pill everytime I get a headache would be a waste, cuz migraine meds aren't cheap. Often times I'm even woken up at 3 or 4 in the morning from a migraine that didn't start til I fell asleep, so 'taking it at first onset' is almost always out of the question. Luckily I have crohn's so I have a few heavier pain pills that I save for my migraines. They don't prescribe narcotics for migraines, which is fine, but sadly getting ******** off a pain pill is one of the VERY few things that helps my migraines QUICKLY with usually a dose of excedrin. have any of you heard or used a migraine med that works really well AFTER the migraine has started??? I'm not a big fan of narcotics cuz I have a life and a job, so I can't take those every time I get a migraine cuz I still need to function properly. I know we all get migraines from different things and hydration is key with migraines. But when you have Crohn's...being hydrated is hard enough as it is!

09-23-08 05:37 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD