I am quite disappointed, I had high hopes in meeting other parents who have children with asthma. Been very difficult to find suppor forums, and what not.

Infact to be honest, that was the ONLY reason why I joined to see if I could get some support in that area. Sometimes it can be a long night staying awake for my little one. It's nice to be able to chat with someone who understands and has experienced the same.

Hopefully, more will join and maybe somewhere down the line I'll meet up with someone.

RBM
    02-13-09 10:05 AM
    Well I'm not a parent, but I was one of those "little ones", and I remember most of those long nights, the tightness, the feeling of not thinking you can breath, and yes the freaking out if it came on because I was over doing it (you would be surprised at what goes through the mind of a 6 year old during one of those fast hitting attacks). Sweating and trying to wish it away, trying your best to relax and knowing no matter what you do it was going to happen again, maybe this time if I don't call mom or dad, I can handle it myself. I can't run, I can't get over heated, I can't I can't I can't.

I remember laying in a warm tub or breathing steam, getting back and chest rubs to help me relax, until the inhalers/breathing treatments worked, the trips to the ER, and later as I got older missed school, parties, activities, all because of asthma.

But today at 51, it's a rare thing to even have the hint of an on coming attack, no meds, just "grew out of it", during my teens. (something I know my folks got sick of hearing the doctors say).

The funny thing is we as a family, didn't even notice until I started wrestling and running 5+ miles a day in Jr High, that I had not had an attack during my entire 7th grade year of school.

For me when I was 5 to 10 years old, swimming helped a lot. I know a couple of kids that do yoga with their mom to help them control their breathing, to help relax them on the onset of an attack.

I think through it all, the thing that helped the most was my parents never panicked, at least not in front of me. They allowed me to push my own limits and didn't always rein me in when they "felt I should slow down". And most of all they didn't allow me to be afraid to do/try things. Yeah I had to be reminded to take my pills, take my inhaler with me, and not to let me use asthma as an excuse to get out of doing anything (unless I was actually having an attack).
    02-13-09 10:47 AM
    Thanks for sharing that. Yeah that is what we do. Very calm, there are times when I do need to have a tearful moment (alone). Between the low stats, sleepless nights. I almost lost her three times so there is always a huge fear of that. She is so precious. I'm probably guilty of reining her in. I usually keep her in an indoor recess if I know she is coming down with an infection, also with the weather if it is cold, or changes in the weather, but I don't keep her out of gym and stuff as long as she isnt bad. Having her being incubated is just not an option for me.

I really hope she grows out of it.
    02-13-09 10:53 AM
    My 6yo son has asthma, as well as my husband. Feel free to pin me!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-09 11:02 AM
    I never realized how bad asthma CAN be; and how many contributing variables can make its effects worse...until I went on a business trip to the northeast with a co-worker.

On our drive to a meeting one morning; he started coughing violently and profusely...he was having an extremely hard time trying to talk...I'm surprised he had enough time to even breathe in-between the coughing.
    I seriously thought he was on the verge of coughing out a lung.

I pulled in front of a hotel off the closest exit; I helped walk him inside the hotel lobby...a couple of minutes later his coughing abruptly stopped as soon as it had started. Apparently he said the dry-air quality in the northeast; even the slightest bit of exposure to it...exacerbated his symptoms. Indoors he was fine; however as soon as the air surrounded him outdoors even for the slightest moment...the coughing kicked back in.
    02-13-09 11:53 AM
    During chemo, my son developed asthma. Luckily he has grown out of it. As much as I'd love to be available all the time to answer your questions in a professional and personal sense...

I'm sure you have a good pulmonologist and possibly an allergist, but if it's frequently that bad, perhaps there is more that can be done for your child and you.

What's her medication regimen? Where do you live? There are so many questions. And good luck.
    02-13-09 12:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD