I'm thinking about getting a wii for the kids (and me) for Christmas. I haven't looked into them a whole lot yet but I'm looking for feedback from someone who actually has one or knows about them.

My kids range in age from 10 - 15 and like all kinds of games from sports to disney to shoot 'em up to brain teasers. Pretty much anything. We have a Playstation 2 and they are kind of bored with that. Would the Wii be much different?

Also, what are some recommended games and/or accessories that I should consider buying?
    12-15-09 09:30 AM
    Ok, let me give you the process I went through last christmas (my daughter was 11 at the time).

Game Console comes with 1 wii-mote (I think) and 1 nunchuck controller, 1 gel skin for the wii mote, wii Sports game (version 1), and composite video connector.

- You will want to purchase a wii "enhanced definition" component cable to get the most out of the game video wise. Still not HD, but it is the best you can do. Do NOT buy that cord from anyone like best buy, etc. They will rake you over the coals for it. I bought mine at monoprice for pennies. And it works great. I buy all of my cables from monoprice. The one they have in stock right now is $3.91. For only $2.93 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 6FT Audio Video ED Component Cable for Wii - White (Net Jacket) | Cable for Wii

- you will absolutely want at least one more wii-mote (Assuming mostly two people playing at one time). Some games, like mini golf, let you share wii motes, but that's a pain. We bought the game Wii Play Amazon.com: Wii Play with Wii Remote: Nintendo Wii: Video Games. It comes packaged with another Wii mote and gel skin. The games are real basic, but it's like paying for the wii mote and getting the games practically free.

If you plan on getting games like Mario Kart where you will want to have 4 people playing at one time, you may want a third and/or fourth Wii mote.

- Nunchucks are used for some games. I knew we were getting the Lego Indiana Jones game which uses it for enhanced control, but if you are not getting games that need it, hold off on buying another nunchuck.

- Batteries/chargers....... Many people buy packaged batteries and charging stations. They are kind of neat, but depending on the kind you get, it might require you to slide the skin off the end to place the Wii mote in the charger. I chose a totally different path on this. Not many people talk about them, but I am very high on Sanyo Eneloop batteries. These are newer batteries called "pre charged" rechargable batteries. They are lower drain batteries with tremendous charge holding. They are rated to hold, I think, 75% of their charge after 1 year. So if you charge a second set and leave them until you need them, they will be ready. I use these for my digital camera too. I buy them (and my charger) from Thomas Distributing.

This is a link for a packaged deal of the charger I bought, with 4 eneloop batteries, and a travel bag. I ended up buying 4 more batteries so I always had a spare set for each of my two wii motes: Maha MH-C204W White World Charger Kit Combo Includes Four 20..

Games:

That really depends on age on sex. Games purchased upfront for my daughter and results:

Wii Sports that comes with the console: We play the tennis and bowling a lot

Wii Play that comes with a remote: Rarely play

Lego Indiana Jones (my desire more than hers): We do not play it a lot. we both seem to find it hard to find a lot of time to play the story based games like this.

Dance Dance Revolution: Fun, but a pain to plugin the pad and sometimes the pad doesn't work very well.

Guitar Hero (again, more for me, but...): We both like playing this a lot. We need a second guitar so we can play at the same time.

This is a starting point for you. I am sure more will chime in. It is easy to start one's entre into the world of Wii with a $500 purchase. It all depends. IMHO, the most critical thing for you to purchase up front is the enhanced video cable (assuming you are going into an LCD/Plasma TV). If not, and you are using this with an old tube TV, the basic cable that comes with is ok. Also, the secondary important item is at least one additional remote.

And the most important pearl of wisdom you can hear is, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure everyone tightens the remote strap around your wrist when you play games. Otherwise, you risk the following:

12-15-09 10:06 AM
    Well I don't own a Wii first of all but I've got a few friends who do and I've played them enough to advise you I think.

It's a great idea for a family, definitely the most family friendly console out right now. Lots of great games to choose from, especially multiplayer.

As far as accessories go, I don't really have any experience with those. ALWAYS use the lanyard (sp?) attached to the controller, I've seen someone throw a remote thru a window before. Hilarious but ultimately a real PITA.

There are a lot of great games out there but the best thing to do is just go shopping for games with the whole family. I could recommend a whole slew of games but it would take forever.
    12-15-09 10:06 AM
    WOW! A lot more to consider than I thought.

So is this thing worth the money? I just don't want to spend the cash on this thing to watch it collect dust like the PS2 does. The PS2 is still used for Madden, but that's about it.
    12-15-09 10:36 AM
    I owned a Wii when they first came out. Though it was cool to play, moving the controllers around to do stuff on the screen... Bought Red Steel, bought Zelda, bough some other little golf games.... and it clicked... this is way to much play for not enough game....

and i sold it... and won't look back...

They are very childish games, very animated, it seriously lacks for the "gamer" type of person.... .

PS3 > Wii
    Xbox 360 > Wii
    SNES > Wii
    PS1 > Wii
    PS2 > Wii

you get the idea...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-09 10:40 AM
    Agree with mjneid. Mine has sat on the shelf unused. Some of the party games are good to play with the kids, like Rayman Rabids, but other than that there's limited appeal.

The PS3 in my house gets a lot of use due to the BD player and I can stream video off my NAS box. Also have an Xbox360 due to the fact that I'm a sucker for consoles. The game play on the PS3 and XBox titles outstrips the novelty factor of the Wii by a long stretch.
    12-15-09 10:44 AM
    All good comments. I wanted to also add that my daughter is dying for MarioKart and we are getting it for her. This is the kind of game to me, that can be played over and over again. She is looking forward to playing with us, but also over the internet against some of her friends that also have the game.
    12-15-09 10:55 AM
    I agree with elgraves and MJ. The 360 and PS3 are better for core gamers who like to get the most out of their games/consoles.

BUT... for a family, the Wii has a lot of fun games. They may wear out quickly but it really depends on the person.

The reason I own a PS3 and not a Wii is because I like the better graphics, more in-depth games and playing online. The Wii obviously falls short in these categories.

If you really think you and your family will enjoy playing games together on a regular basis and don't mind that the games aren't big budget blockbusters, I say get a Wii. It's a lot of fun for what it is.
    12-15-09 10:59 AM
    Interesting...I thought that the Wii was supposed to be the greatest thing to come along since sliced bread.

Thanks for making this decision a little harder for me
    12-15-09 12:07 PM
    Don't let the lack of entertaining software take away from Nintendo's innovation. It's a fun device, but as I've told my lady, it's a great complementary console. If you're looking for consistent entertainment, the Wii isn't the most reasonable console to make as your central hub of fun.

Ultimately, people lean towards the PS3's and 360's of the world because of everything else the systems do. In this age of reducing clutter and keeping those unsightly wires hidden, it's best to have one black box that does it all. For me, the PS3 was the winner for Blu-Ray, family-friendly games, hardcore killer stuff, online games, and media streaming. My girlfriend has a ball downloading games from the online PlayStation store, i.e. Diner Dash, Fat Princess, and PS One classics.

The novelty of the Wii wears thin fairly quickly. Games like Super Mario Kart are a blast, but the Wii can't offer much for those days you want to relax while entertaining yourself.

Also, the numbers jlb21 gave you were spot on. Don't be fooled by the lower price points. In the end, the cost is comparable to that of the higher end, high-def consoles that do so much more.

I'm no expert, but I'm a former member of the PSWii60 Club (Owners of PS3, Wii, and 360) until my Xbox was banned last month. I really do let myself disappear in games. Hope it helps, sir.
    12-15-09 01:27 PM
    Well, coming from a Wii owner.....the other nice thing about the PS3 is it has a blu ray drive in it. So it serves double duty as a great gaming console AND a a great home theater playback device.....

Ooooops, did I make it even harder for you? Sorry.

Seriously, for the fam, Wii is a great console. Lots of fun. It all depends on what kind of games you and your kids like.

For me, I would be happy playing Guitar Hero for days on end on it. But you can do that on any console. But I guess I am still trying to say you can't really go wrong with it. Just make sure you know what kind of games you think your kids will like and make sure you can find games that match that. Then you are fine.
    12-15-09 01:27 PM
    Let me try and put it another way too.......sorry......

IF, I did not sit near a computer most of the day, and if I wasn't too tired when I got home, and if I felt like I had time to get lost in a game for hours on end, I may very well have gone the PS3 route, though that would have been a tough sell for my daughter as her friends all had Wii. I've toyed with going BR in my home theater system, but have been reluctant for various reasons. Given that, it really was a no brainer.

If you can spare the change, you could consider getting both a Wii and PS3. Just tell your spouse/SO/whatever that you are getting the kids a Wii and you are getting yourself one of the most feature-filled Blu-Ray players on the market.
    12-15-09 01:33 PM
    I'm no expert, but I'm a former member of the PSWii60 Club (Owners of PS3, Wii, and 360) until my Xbox was banned last month. I really do let myself disappear in games. Hope it helps, sir.
    That sucks man... MW2 I'm assuming?

If you can spare the change, you could consider getting both a Wii and PS3. Just tell your spouse/SO/whatever that you are getting the kids a Wii and you are getting yourself one of the most feature-filled Blu-Ray players on the market.
    Exactly what I was gonna say. There are selling points for every console and I want them all.

But in the end it all boils down to what you're really going to use it for and how much you want to spend.
    12-15-09 02:59 PM
    I owned a Wii when they first came out. Though it was cool to play, moving the controllers around to do stuff on the screen... Bought Red Steel, bought Zelda, bough some other little golf games.... and it clicked... this is way to much play for not enough game....

and i sold it... and won't look back...

They are very childish games, very animated, it seriously lacks for the "gamer" type of person.... .

PS3 > Wii
    Xbox 360 > Wii
    SNES > Wii
    PS1 > Wii
    PS2 > Wii

you get the idea...

See I have a very different Opinion,

PS3 < Wii
    Xbox 360 < Wii
    SNES = Wii
    PS1 < Wii
    PS2 < Wii
    NES > Wii

I HATE the term "gamer type" personality, I've been playing Video games since my Attari at age 4, and have ALWAYS had game systems, and computer games in my life, does this mean I'm not a gamer when I find the PS3 and XBox 360 the same rubbish rehashed over and over?

Games lack style, ooohh pretty graphics, I want game play, I want replay ablity, and I want a story, Nintendo does this very well

you have Mario, and Zelda, for franchises that bring fun to the game enviroment, with the Wii you can also play the community games like Rock Band , Guitare Hero, and mario Kart, All 3 I own, but only really come out in groups of 3 or more.

For a Family I really suggest getting atleast 1 group game, the Wii Fit, is fun, but pretty expensive, for what you get, I only play 3 games on it over and over.

If you like Shootem up games, then the Wii is not for you, but if you are looking for random hours of enjoyment and fun, you'll enjoy your wii purchase. Nintendo does a good job.

My Uncle has 2 Kids, ages 14 and 11, they have the Wii, with Rock Band, and a couple of carnival games and it gets used atleast once a week.
    12-15-09 03:09 PM
    That sucks man... MW2 I'm assuming
    Or Forza 3. I made it through a couple of big waves.. but I'm sure MW2 was the most significant culprit.
    Last edited by Amen; 12-15-09 at 03:29 PM.
    12-15-09 03:22 PM
    Games lack style, ooohh pretty graphics, I want game play, I want replay ablity, and I want a story, Nintendo does this very well

you have Mario, and Zelda, for franchises that bring fun to the game enviroment, with the Wii you can also play the community games like Rock Band , Guitare Hero, and mario Kart, All 3 I own, but only really come out in groups of 3 or more.
    You're entitled to your opinion, but be cautious to not appear uninformed. There are plenty of games pushing the envelope between substance AND style.

Not one Nintendo game has ever captivated anyone with its story, while the last two months have seen two franchises release their second games with even more glitz than its predecessors. Check out Uncharted 2 and Assassin's Creed 2.

There are no confusing interfaces, the controls are user friendly, and the stories are deep, entertaining, and well-acted.

Ratchet & Clank and Little Big Planet offer that light-hearted kind of fun that's akin to Nintendo-style gaming, but with better visuals. You can downplay graphics all you like, but no amount of motion controls can match a visually stunning game with impressive audio that's legitimately fun.
    12-15-09 03:28 PM
    Or Forza 3. I made it threw a couple of big waves.. but I'm sure MW2 was the most significant culprit.
    Surely. I think they dropped those bans the same day MW2 came out... if I'm not mistaken.

I'm glad I don't know how to make em and I don't want to learn.
    12-15-09 03:29 PM
    Don't get me wrong the Wii is a good family console, you really don't have to worry about what your son or daughter will be playing on it. But when it comes to story lines like Metal Gear Solid 4, and Assassins Creed you will not find it. And if you are a graphics junkie, like Gears or War 2 or KillZone 2 will produce, you will not find it. But if you want a game that everyone can play the Wii might be the way to go. With Mario Cart, Smash Brothers, and some other games you cannot go wrong. But me as a 26 year old male - - - it lacks seriously. I honestly had to put a block on my 360 and PS3 for age content due to my wife having people over when I'm not home and their kids playing my mature games.

12-15-09 03:35 PM
    Not one Nintendo game has ever captivated anyone with its story, while the last two months have seen two franchises release their second games with even more glitz than its predecessors. Check out Uncharted 2 and Assassin's Creed 2.

I'm playing through assassin's creed 2 and yet to find one glitch. Odd.

12-15-09 03:38 PM
    I'm playing through assassin's creed 2 and yet to find one glitch. Odd.

Not glitch, glitz.

Like glitz and glamour, flashy you know?
    12-15-09 03:46 PM
    Not glitch, glitz.

Like glitz and glamour, flashy you know?
    Der... .WTH was i reading... oh well live and learn...

12-15-09 04:02 PM
    Definitely a lot to consider here! Thanks for all the input!

And since I'm somewhat of a procrastinator, I'm gonna have to go in and see what is actually on the shelf this time of year. And since I frequent the mall and other stores like this about twice a year, I'm wondering if this kind of item would be cheaper if I waited until after Christmas to purchase...

And this is only part of why I hate the holliday season...

12-16-09 06:26 AM
    Definitely a lot to consider here! Thanks for all the input!

And since I'm somewhat of a procrastinator, I'm gonna have to go in and see what is actually on the shelf this time of year. And since I frequent the mall and other stores like this about twice a year, I'm wondering if this kind of item would be cheaper if I waited until after Christmas to purchase...

And this is only part of why I hate the holliday season...

You wont find much of a price difference on the Wii, it took a year before you saw any price fluctuation.

you might see some bundling deals, on games with remotes(wiimotes) but the system itself will remain constant.
    12-16-09 08:23 AM
    Not sure what the US prices are like but there's been a pre-Christmas price drop here. The console with one controller and Wii sports resort for �149.
    12-16-09 08:28 AM
    Amen, I must stand corrected, I have looking into some of the newer games on the "Big 2" and some are looking pretty good, and not the basic shootem up FPS game, or GTA game.

though I still do prefer Nintendo on the console
    12-16-09 09:03 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD