Thoughts?

I don't know why the text comes out so weird in a quote. Here's the original article: Opposing Views: 5 Lessons Learned from the NBA Playoffs' Opening Weekend

The NBA Playoffs kicked off this weekend in fairly boring fashion. The games were close enough to keep viewers hoping for upsets and exciting endings, but -- with the exception of Portland � never produced any last-second heroics. Seven of the eight games ended with home team wins.
    Interestingly enough, a few of the games ended up telling us everything we need to know about that particular series.
    Five things we learned from the opening weekend of the NBA Playoffs:
    1. The two number one seeds have nothing to worry about.
    Ignore the naysayers, the Los Angeles Lakers and Cleveland Cavaliers made huge statements to start the playoffs.
    Their message: Who are our round two opponents going to be?
    On Sunday afternoon, the Lakers showed why they picked Ron Artest over Trevor Ariza last summer. Artest was a bull. He pushed Kevin Durant around, he bullied him, and he gave the youngster his first real taste of playoff basketball in a way only he could. As the game continued, Durant became visibly frustrated with Artest�s suffocating defense. When all was said and done, the young swingman ended up missing 17 of his 24 field goals.
    The final score does not even begin to tell the whole story. The Oklahoma City Thunder never had a chance against the Lakers. Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum brutally outplayed the Thunder�s front court, putting up 19 points/13 rebounds and 13 points/12 rebounds, respectively. Kobe Bryant came back from missing the last four out five games of the season with 21 points, and Derek Fisher added 11.
    The Thunder�s advantage at point guard -- Russell Westbrook being speedier than Fisher -- never translated past empty numbers.
    The Cavaliers were equally dominant on Saturday with a 96-83 victory over the Chicago Bulls. Coming out gunning in the first quarter, the Cavs established a good lead over the Bulls and never looked back. LeBron James put up a fairly modest statline by his standards with 29 points, 6 rebounds, and 5 assists. Antwan Jamison added 15 points and 10 rebounds, while Shaquille O�Neal put up 12 points in 24 minutes.
    Despite a stellar 28 point, 10 assist, and 7 rebound performance from Derrick Rose, the Bulls were simply outplayed by a better team. The Cavs had far more size and far more depth than their opponents, and they utilized both to ensure that the Bulls never got close in the first game of the first round series.
    It may take four games or it may take seven games, but one way or another, both the Lakers and Cavs will be in the second round of the NBA Playoffs.
    2. Kevin Garnett is passionate when the Boston Celtics are winning, and stupid when they are losing.
    Two years ago when the Boston Celtics won their 17th NBA title, Kevin Garnett�s attitude was admirable. He was passionate. He was fiery. He was inspirational.
    Now that the Celtics are losing, he�s a bully. He�s overly-emotional. He�s stupid.
    The tide changes quickly in professional sports.
    Yesterday, the league suspended Garnett for Game 2 of the Boston Celtics-Miami Heat first round series.
    At the end of game one, Celtics forward Paul Pierce collapsed onto the floor with a shoulder injury. With a smirk, the Heat�s Quentin Richardson came over and had some words for Pierce. Garnett, thinking Richardson was taunting his teammate, pushed Richardson away. A tense scuffle followed and Garnett ended up elbowing Richardson in the head.
    Garnett clearly deserved the punishment he got. However, it�s interesting that his passionate style of play is now his biggest weakness, considering a mere two years ago, it was his biggest strength.
    3. The San Antonio Spurs and Milwaukee Bucks are done.
    The dynasty that used to be the San Antonio Spurs ended three seasons ago. Now with every passing playoff series, we are reminded of how old and out-of-it they look.
    As Dallas Mavericks star Dirk Nowitzki put up 36 points on 12 of 14 shooting, it didn�t appear to click in the Spurs� minds that they may want to send more defenders at him.
    Despite a close score throughout the game, the Mavs simply had too many weapons for the Spurs to contain. Caron Butler had 22 points and 6 rebounds in his Mavs playoff debut, and Jason Kidd added 13 points, 11 assists, and 8 rebounds.
    The Spurs were outrebounded by eight and gave up 13 offensive rebounds. They had 17 turnovers, leading to 20 Dallas points.
    The �Fear theDeer � movement died when Andrew Bogut went down with an injury before the start of the playoffs. Despite an amazing effort from rookie Brandon Jennings, who scored a team-high 34 points, the Milwaukee Bucks were never in the hunt to win the first game of their series.
    All five Atlanta Hawks starters scored in double figures, as did the frontrunner for the 6th man of the year award, Jamal Crawford. Joe Johnson led the way with 22 points, and forward Josh Smith chipped in with a 12 point and 10 rebound effort.
    Much like the Lakers and Cavs, the Hawks can start looking ahead to their second round match-up.
    4. The Phoenix-Portland series has the two most underrated point guards in the league.
    It is hard to sell a two-time league Most Valuable Player as being underrated, but that is exactly what Steve Nash is. The Phoenix Suns point guard has gone his whole career with excuses being made for why he is as good as he is. First he played with a ton of talent in Dallas. Then, when he really started to prosper in Phoenix, it was the system he played in. And, of course, there was the one legitimate criticism he could never shake: never been to the NBA Finals.
    Still, as he carried the Suns on back during a loss to the Portland Trail Blazers, you had to respect Nash�s effort.. He he put up 25 points and 9 assists but missed a potential game-tying three pointer with less than 10 seconds remaining.
    Like Nash, Andre Miller has always been an underrated point guard. A journeyman of sorts for his whole career, Miller has brought stability and maturity to every franchise he has ever played for.
    Against the Suns, Miller continued doing what he has been known for his entire career. When the timely pass needed to be made, he made it. When the team needed a three-point bucket, he provided it. A timely stop by forcing an offensive foul? No problem.
    Miller�s statline read: 31 points, 8 assists, and 5 rebounds.
    However, despite Miller�s amazing play�.
    5. The Portland Trail Blazers will not beat the Phoenix Suns in a seven game series.
    The Phoenix Suns played poorly yesterday. At times, it felt like the Portland Trail Blazers were trying to give the game back to them.
    The Suns shot just 42 percent, and were 9 of 24 in the final quarter, including 3 of 13 on three point baskets. Grant Hill and Jason Richardson ended up going 4 for 21 for the Suns, and Jared Dudley only hit 1 of his 5 three point attempts.
    The Blazers, meanwhile, were barely able to take advantage of the Suns� horrible shooting performance. Repeatedly missing crunch-time shots and free throws Portland was lucky to win.Certainly, the Blazers provided a conversation topic for a fairly mundane NBA opening weekend after being the only away team to win a game. However, don�t expect the Suns to shoot this poorly for the entire series. The Suns were the hottest team at the end of the regular season, and they�ll be back.
    04-19-10 01:11 PM
    Will this topic be as popular as our Stanley Cup topic?
    04-19-10 01:14 PM
    Here's a few things I learned.

-Kevin Garnett is still a POS

-Lebron James dances too much and will always be a loser in my book.

-Kobe Bryant is still the same intense dude I've watched since his rookie year.

-Dwight Howard is soft.

-I still hate Lamar Odom

-I still hate Andrew Bynum

-I am a Laker fan
    04-19-10 02:14 PM
    Ehh, it's not from opening week of the playoffs, but the league has become such a punk-filled league.

I miss the days of basketball in the 80's. Bird/Magic, Dr. J, Lambier (sp?), etc. There's no personality anymore. The game continues to be, IMHO, quite boring. I continue to prefer the college game more.
    04-20-10 07:34 AM
    I love the NFL more than anything. But the NFL is a punk league. The NBA gets that rap for no good reason. The NFL is what's full of thugs. Not the NBA.
    04-20-10 10:03 AM
    LeBron James is King that's all that matters in the NBA, oh and the lakers there is no avoiding those guys, they're just good.

Lakers = iPhone

Lebron James = Android

New York Knicks = Blackberry lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-10 10:08 AM
    When Lebron James actually accomplishes something noteworthy, like winning a
    title, get back to me. Otherwise he's still a loser in my book. He proved it last year.
    He couldn't even get past Orlando. I don't care how good Orlando was. They
    should have gotten past them. If his supporting cast was able to get all the way
    there, they could have gotten past Orlando. But just as the case will be this year,
    Lebron is a loser in terms of a Basketball champion.
    04-20-10 12:13 PM
    won the most competitive MVP race of all time, took his team to the finals on his own, enough said, Jordan didnt win it his first few years either so whats your point is Michael Jordan a loser 2. (I think not). Come holler at me with a valid point next time holla
    04-20-10 01:07 PM
    You pissed off Lebron's boyfriend F29...

Michael Jordan did suck at baseball and golf.
    04-20-10 01:11 PM
    won the most competitive MVP race of all time, took his team to the finals on his own, enough said, Jordan didnt win it his first few years either so whats your point is Michael Jordan a loser 2. (I think not). Come holler at me with a valid point next time holla
    Don't ever compare Michael Jordan to Lebron James. I don't care how long it took Jordan, he's no Lebron James. When the stage is set, Lebron James can't get it done and is a loser. Read my post. I said when it comes to being a champion. His scoring titles and getting his team to he NBA finals in a year that the eastern conference was at its weakest means nothing.

Michael Jordan wasn't concerned about his stupid dance moves. Michael Jordan wouldn't sit on the bench biting his nails like a moron. Don't ever compare that premadonna to Michael Jeffery Jordan.
    04-21-10 01:50 AM
    Oh and by the way, in his last 3 years in during the last title run, MJ played all 82 games each of those seasons and was never a healthy scratch.

Basically he wasn't a lil Nancy.
    Last edited by forever29; 04-21-10 at 09:11 AM.
    04-21-10 01:53 AM
    Never thought I'd see myself agreeing with F29, but James isn't fit to hold Jordan's jock strap!
    04-21-10 08:59 AM
    Israel and Palestine must have come to a peace agreement. Pkcable and I agree
    on something
    04-21-10 12:24 PM
    Go look up the stats 29! Yeah he don't have the championships, so what he is the best player in the NBA hands down. Stats don't lie.

Now can he learn to be a better team player and not act like a 2 year old when he loses? Hopefully....

Kobe/Jordan had/or has great players around them to help win championships to where Bron was doing it all himself, granted Mo Williams can be great, however failed miserably last year in the playoffs.

This year Bron has the talent, especially with the addition of Jamison, who was a great pick up. Shaq is looking better, granted he is nothing like he was in his prime with Kobe...and Williams looks like he wants to prove last year was a fluke at how bad he performed...

With that said if we would have beat Orlando last year, we would have pushed you guys much more. Orlando matched up better with us to where we match up better with you guys. We would have tested you guys more and might see it this year....

Seems to me you are just another Bron hater, which he has a lot of....usually the greats do.

What is funny, Bron could win a championship and still wouldn't be in the likes of Jordan or Kobe because then it would come down to who has more championships...pfft!

Stats don't lie though as he is on par with Jordan and much better than Kobe...much better. Only reason Kobe has those championships is for 1, he is a great basketball player that had/has great talent around him, same with Jordan in the likes of Pippen and others.

04-21-10 08:49 PM
    Once again, I wasn't questioning his stats. Why is it that your Lebron backers bring the statistics subject to an argument only about his lack of titles and leadership. I haven't questioned his stats at all.

One more time: When it comes to winning titles, Lebron James is a loser. He's not a leader, but much more of a premadonna. If he was a great leader and such a winner, he would have gotten his team past Orlando no matter what. The stage was set for him and he blew it. Just like he's going to blow it again when the Cavs play Orlando again.
    04-22-10 01:15 AM
    Eat a fat one!! The Spurs rocked it tonite and the Mavs looked like little kids chasing their big brother and his friends!! Say what u want ...I stay hard core to the hardwood floor! The only thing weighing down the Spurs are their rings!!! I will happy to be outta the Mavs arena there is ZERO color..notice the LACK of banners hanging from their rafters!! See ya in San Antonio bitches!!!
    04-22-10 02:35 AM
    Once again, I wasn't questioning his stats. Why is it that your Lebron backers bring the statistics subject to an argument only about his lack of titles and leadership. I haven't questioned his stats at all.

One more time: When it comes to winning titles, Lebron James is a loser. He's not a leader, but much more of a premadonna. If he was a great leader and such a winner, he would have gotten his team past Orlando no matter what. The stage was set for him and he blew it. Just like he's going to blow it again when the Cavs play Orlando again.
    I bring them up, because they are impressive stats...and how is he not a leader? Please....They got beat last year due to...to much time off as we blew everyone out of the water. Had like close to 2 weeks, might have even been longer than that till we faced Orlando who had to fit tooth and nail to win games.

Yeah you need to come prepared no matter the circumstances, but we had to much time off and were full of ourselves.

I am actually glad we lost tonight, as it will keep us humble and more competitive throughout the rest of the playoffs.

As far as Orlando goes, we will just have to wait and see.

And Kobe for years was a tool and at one time had a hard time getting along with his own teammates. So don't give me the whole leader jazz as Kobe isn't all he is cracked up to be, granted the older he gets the more mature he seems.

Bron is still young, but compared to when kobe was his age, Bron is years ahead of him...cept championships, which you act like it is all about 1 player...love people like you, lol! Then you bring up leadership, aha!

You know what is funny is Bron isn't even my favorite player, BigZ is....but I don't get why it is so hard to give him his credit when he is something else to see. Your blinded by your jealousy....

04-22-10 09:08 PM
    Now time off is your excuse

Your whole post deserves no more than this.
    04-23-10 01:49 AM
    Cavs are going all the way this year! Go Cavs!
    04-23-10 06:30 AM
    Now time off is your excuse

Your whole post deserves no more than this.
    Ewww, cuts like a knife!

I guess quite a few sports analysts would get the same from ya as well.

So be it, but they did have to much time off last year. Was said over and over and I agree whole heartily.

They came out sluggish and not the same team prior...

I honestly feel if they get more challenged earlier on that it will help them get further.

04-24-10 11:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD