Just say nyet to Nello

Last Updated: 9:50 AM, October 23, 2009
    Posted: 3:22 AM, October 23, 2009
    Steve Cuozzo

IT'S NO shock that Nets buyer Mikhail Prokhorov celebrated the other day at Nello. The Madison Avenue joint's overpriced food and underfed blondes are perfect for a bimbo-craving, globetrotting gazillionaire from the world's most gastronomically challenged country.

Nello's theoretically Italian, seasoning-shy Oligarch Cuisine attracts the kind of vagabonding clowns too eager to flaunt their ill-gotten gains -- hedge-fund scoundrels, tainted politicians, dope-snorting movie stars. Plus, as Mr. Nello Balan once informed us in an ad he placed in this newspaper, "her royal majesty, the late Princess Diana," Prince Andrew and Prince Albert of Monaco.

They can't all be going there for the food, even if the joint's organic guinea hen has more meat on it than some of the broads who hog the front tables.

But the place serves a purpose. Without Nello -- and a handful of like-minded clip joints like Cipriani and Mr. Chow -- there'd be no way for guys like Prokhorov to publicly throw dough around like it was disco dust.

In a town full of great Italian food at reasonable prices, there's Nello's $15 chicken soup, $38 prosciutto and melon, and $37 spaghetti carbonara.

When you can blow $5,000 on a bottle of Petrus -- not necessarily higher than at some other Manhattan restaurants -- you don't have to sweat over little items on Prokhorov's bill like $210 for three veal chops, $74 for two plates of tuna tartare and $825 for three plates of truffle tagliolini. (The bill doesn't say if they were black truffles or white.)

The amazing thing is that Balan's pasta parlor stays on his feet. Almost any other owner would have collapsed by now, after an endless series of fiscal woes.

In fact, Nello stands taller than ever on Madison Avenue -- his major nearby competitor, beloved La Goulue, recently closed to make way for a new building, and Frederick's folded after falling into bankruptcy.

But Prokhorov should be warned: You're not in Vladivostok anymore. Now that you're eating with the 8 million of us, we'll be watching your every culinary step.

How about trying a really great Italian restaurant, if your system can handle it -- like Marea, Il Mulino, Cellini, Babbo, Scarpetta and Esca, just for starters?

And since you'll (presumably) be spending lots of time in Brooklyn, what about Di Fara, Bamonte's, Queen and newly reopened Armando's?

Some of them are pricey, but none will set you back $20 for common fried calamari. They might not be great places to show off, but who knows? If you're serious about building the Nets that elusive new arena, you might need to save every cent you can.

WOW ! ! ! ! that's all i can say..... WOW
    11-03-09 11:20 AM
    Too bad he and his company didn't all choke and die while eating it.

What a waste of money. I'm all for good food but Jesus Christ, it is unbelievable what a collection of weiners we have roaming the Earth.
    Last edited by RobotnumberOne; 11-03-09 at 12:22 PM. Reason: I'm a bad boy...
    11-03-09 11:27 AM
    Honestly, what's worse, though? The person who frequents the establishment, spending thousands for food, or the establishment itself, for charging outrageous prices?
    11-03-09 11:29 AM
    Both are equally terrible.
    11-03-09 11:31 AM
    did you see the "tip" ... 7,3xx USD.... i want to work there ...
    11-03-09 11:35 AM
    It's all relative. We may think it's outrageous, but in some parts of the world there
    are people who find it outrageous that we use things like honey, cucumbers and
    all sorts of other foodstuffs in bath and beauty products.

My personal feeling: If you can afford it, earned the money honestly, and it makes
    you happy have at it.
    11-03-09 11:38 AM
    It's all relative. We may think it's outrageous, but in some parts of the world there

My personal feeling: If you can afford it, earned the money honestly, and it makes
    you happy have at it.
    I definitely agree. Although, for 47k...that better be some damn good food!
    11-03-09 11:40 AM

you happy have at it.
    I subscribe to that theory, too. Except for the fact that, with few exceptions, the money isn't honest.
    11-03-09 11:41 AM
    Even If I had that kind of money (which I'm sure I never will and I know I'm a hater), I still would never spend nearly $50,000 on a meal.
    11-03-09 11:50 AM
    Even If I had that kind of money (which I'm sure I never will and I know I'm a hater), I still would never spend nearly $50,000 on a meal.
    Yeah, we all know you would spend it on crack.
    11-03-09 11:52 AM
    I definitely agree. Although, for 47k...that better be some damn good food!
    Oh you got that right. Even if I got Alzheimer's I BETTER remember that meal.
    11-03-09 11:56 AM
    That's just ridiculous. I've spend several hundred on a good meal and thought even that was too much and best saved for super special occasions, or for when someone ELSE is paying.
    11-03-09 11:56 AM
    Oh you got that right. Even if I got Alzheimer's I BETTER remember that meal.
    Lol...absolutely.
    11-03-09 11:59 AM
    Meh.

I like spending money on clothes, but I would never spend money like that on food.

The most I would ever be willing to spend on a dinner for two, is 400.

Chef Boyardee is good enough for me.

79, 89, 99 cent menu too.

Food is food, and as long as it's edible, I'm content.
    11-03-09 12:02 PM
    I was okay with it until I saw the $12 for water.
    11-03-09 12:05 PM
    That's just ridiculous. I've spend several hundred on a good meal and thought even that was too much and best saved for super special occasions, or for when someone ELSE is paying.
    A few years back while my wife was working in the legal end of things for a Doctor's Office, Pfizer took to the entire office to Jag's in West Chester, Ohio... talk about one nice but expensive dinner...... it was like 1,400 bucks for 9 dinners.

and i thought that was high.
    11-03-09 12:07 PM
    i could afford the $12 water ......
    11-03-09 12:09 PM
    Whoever waited on that table, I hope they fainted
    11-03-09 02:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD