Win8 runs faster/smoother because like BB10 it is all hardware accelerated = uses the GPU to draw the screen. Thats how BB10 and PB have web apps that run like native.
    11-26-12 08:12 AM
    Well....I haven't read through all 7 pages of posts, but IMHO it will be a TALL challenge for RIM to come close to iOS and Android.
    Up until 8-1-2012, I was a die-hard BB/RIM user/supporter. The Curve 8300 was my 1st real smart phone...... I'll always loved BB and RIM. I'm watching, hoping BB10 and RIM get to a point where I come back. I'm trying to be optimistic.....overly optimistic.
    One thing that always bothered me about RIM was marketing.....or lack of it. This is my thought now, as well. I haven't kept up w/CB as diligently as in the past, but I recall BB10 launches Q1, 2013. That's 4 months away. I haven't seen any marketing about BB10. I believe marketing will make or break the success of BB10. I "liked" BB on FB and have seen the same BB10 vid. 3 times......and I saw it first about a year ago. Before it's release, Samsung touted the GSIII as "the next big thing" WHATS UP RIM?
    I used to believe BB10 could sell itself, but IMHO, that absolutely won't happen. I would really love to see/hear something in the media about BB10. I want to come back....I want to "come home"....BUT, aside from the killer device (yet to be known if it will be for ME), I'm not really feelin it.

P.S.-I see Mobile Nations changed my user name here. For what it's worth I'm formerly berryjunkie
    11-26-12 08:29 AM
    Well....I haven't read through all 7 pages of posts, but IMHO it will be a TALL challenge for RIM to come close to iOS and Android.
    Up until 8-1-2012, I was a die-hard BB/RIM user/supporter. The Curve 8300 was my 1st real smart phone...... I'll always loved BB and RIM. I'm watching, hoping BB10 and RIM get to a point where I come back. I'm trying to be optimistic.....overly optimistic.
    One thing that always bothered me about RIM was marketing.....or lack of it. This is my thought now, as well. I haven't kept up w/CB as diligently as in the past, but I recall BB10 launches Q1, 2013. That's 4 months away. I haven't seen any marketing about BB10. I believe marketing will make or break the success of BB10. I "liked" BB on FB and have seen the same BB10 vid. 3 times......and I saw it first about a year ago. Before it's release, Samsung touted the GSIII as "the next big thing" WHATS UP RIM?
    I used to believe BB10 could sell itself, but IMHO, that absolutely won't happen. I would really love to see/hear something in the media about BB10. I want to come back....I want to "come home"....BUT, aside from the killer device (yet to be known if it will be for ME), I'm not really feelin it.

P.S.-I see Mobile Nations changed my user name here. For what it's worth I'm formerly berryjunkie
    That's bizarre!!!! Mine didn't change, and I'm on AC, iMore and WPCentral.
    11-26-12 08:55 AM
    It's kinda weird. I was hitting the boards on AC and got a couple comments about my "berryjunkie" user name. I'm not one to cave under peer pressure but changing it (over there at least) made sense.
    I logged into CB and it said Mobile Nations wants to "unify" and requests one u/n throughout.
    Whatever....it's all good. I just wish I could add "formerly berryjunkie" somewhere by my Drayk u/n.....

Go RIM.....GO BB Nation.....GO BB10
    11-26-12 09:07 AM
    The news about the stock rising will get people thinking about BlackBerry again. But they definitely need to advertise like mad.
    11-26-12 09:14 AM
    It's kinda weird. I was hitting the boards on AC and got a couple comments about my "berryjunkie" user name. I'm not one to cave under peer pressure but changing it (over there at least) made sense.
    I logged into CB and it said Mobile Nations wants to "unify" and requests one u/n throughout.
    Whatever....it's all good. I just wish I could add "formerly berryjunkie" somewhere by my Drayk u/n.....

Go RIM.....GO BB Nation.....GO BB10
    Put it in your signature.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    11-26-12 09:16 AM
    Windows 8 on my laptop is much smoother and more efficient.

There are many new features that people overlook,

One example is the ability to directly mount ISO files by right clicking on them and clicking mount.

No need for magic disk.

Works great, anyone that knocks windows 8 should explore it a little more.
    11-26-12 12:06 PM
    I actually *like* the common UI between Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8. The lock screens are the same, the live tiles are similar (if not completely identical).
    Windows 8 also feels like it runs the same machine about 25% faster than Windows 7.
    Time will tell. And Microsoft has a lot of time to make it work. Steve Ballmer called Windows Phone "a long play". They can afford to wait and make it work.
    When the masses start getting machines with Windows 8, we will really know if it is accepted.
    I brought up WP8/Win8 not to be critical of either OS on a technical level. I actually like Win8 a lot and have upgraded my personal machine (something I hadn't intended to do until I saw how good it was on a low-spec, older PC that I upgraded). I also respect the effort that MS is going to in unifying the codebase between Win8 Pro, RT, and WP8. I think it's a legitimate effort that would normally be a benefit to all users.

If Win8 really is meeting consumer resistance, you'll hear people calling it "the new Vista". This is completely wrong; Vista really didn't introduce any radical UI changes, and the few it did bring were generally well-received. The problem with Vista was the way it allocated system memory for the graphics for each open window, even if there was memory on the graphics card allocated as well. That made Vista a real dog, particularly for users who were used to keeping a lot of windows open (Win7 eliminated this "shadowing"). Add to that the fact that MS went to a new driver model with Vista and didn't share with hardware makers until the 11th hour, leading to a lot of incompatibilities that frustrated users and turned them off.

Windows 8, OTOH, is actually technically excellent. Dropping the Aero interface reduces the overhead quite a bit, so performance seems to be much improved over even Win7. I haven't seen any big issues moving apps or hardware from Win7, either. So on those counts, Win8 is absolutely NOT the dog that Vista was.

Many people are complaining about Windows 8 for the same reason that many complained about the ribbon interface when it was introduced in Office 2007: it's a big UI difference and MS isn't offering any transition. I know why MS chose to do it this way, and I respect the reasoning behind it, but it doesn't change the fact that a great many people just don't like it. You can tell them until you're blue in the face all of the technical reasons why Win8 is superior to Win7 (or *gulp* XP), and the only response you're going to get is "I've always done it this way! Why is Microsoft making me change?" What should really frighten Microsoft: the strongest resistance seems to be coming from seasoned IT pros.

I'm telling you, I see evidence of massive consumer resistance to Win8, pretty much all based on the Start screen. I think there's a definite chance that will blow back on WP8. I don't think it's fair, but in introducing Win8 the way they did, Microsoft may have brought it down on themselves.
    11-26-12 12:32 PM

Well kbz made me go and get it.
    Downloading now.

11-26-12 02:11 PM
    Q I didn't have good luck with an upgrade so I did a fresh install. More of a hassle but better for me. I hope if you're upgrading it goes better for you. You can do a fresh install with upgrade media.
    11-26-12 02:32 PM
    It's going....catching up on past episodes of Ballykissangel while it does!

kbz1960 likes this.
    11-26-12 02:35 PM
    Have you Been to an apple store lately?

Was in there last week with someone buying a MacBook pro.

Just an observation (but I dont think apple is going anywhere anytime soon.

They had a whole table full of elderly people that were receiving a seminar on using iPad and other devices, I counted 20 elderly people and two apple blue shirts.

On another table there were four ladies with several children using the new iPad mini. I believe the blue shirts were again demonstrating the use of the products.

At another corner consumer and blue shirt were hugging as they closed another sale of whatever product. (I don't ever remember receiving a hug after purchasing something)

The couple besides us was purchasing a MacBook air and were busy migrating stuff from another laptop.

The front area had several blue shirts making appointments as people entered the store. (That's right they are so busy that you have to make make an appointment to buy something)

Anyway, don't discount apple out quite yet... I think more than bb10 is needed to thwart their success.
    You are probably on track about Apple not going anywhere: Apple's Astonishing Profit in Context
    1 year Prediction-chartoftheday_735_apple_s_astonishing_profit_in_context_n.jpg
    When Apple released its fourth quarter earnings in late October, the reaction from commentators, analysts and investors was largely negative. The company had missed earnings expectations, sold fewer iPads than expected and its margins had declined.
    What went by nearly unnoticed however, was the fact that Apple had just wrapped up its fiscal year 2012 with a record profit of $41.7 billion on $156.5 billion revenue.
    How huge these numbers really are becomes more evident when compared to the results of Apple�s competition:

� From October 2011 through September 2012, the combined net profit of Microsoft, Google, eBay, Yahoo, Facebook and Amazon was $34.4 billion. Apple alone made $7 billion more.

� In the same period, Dell, Asus, Intel, Acer, IBM, Lenovo and HP, i.e. virtually the entire PC industry, made $19.3 billion or less than half of Apple�s profit.

Seeing these numbers, it is no surprise that, despite its recent dip, Apple is still the most valuable public company in the world. All its recent shortcomings notwithstanding, Apple�s business remains incredibly profitable.
    11-26-12 02:42 PM
    I actually think that Windows Phone will be the number 1 platform in a few years (Unless BB10 is absolutely amazing). People are getting bored of android and ios.
    I don't think people are getting all that bored with android but are always on the lookout for the next cool thing (maybe that is the same thing as being bored ). iPhones have been on top for a long time and it will take a while for them to fall, but they are starting to be viewed as not that cool of a phone to have.

That brings me back to your post. I agree WP is really starting to take a hold as it's a pretty good OS. With people wanting something else other than Droid or iOS it should do well. BB10 can and should also capitalize on the fact people are wanting the next greatest thing. SGIII is that right now but whenever something new comes out it peaks curiosity. One year? No, I think Rich said it best, it's going to take awhile to get there.

Of course that's if the Mayans where wrong.
    11-26-12 06:57 PM

I don't know man. Those Mayans are freaking me out!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    middbrew likes this.
    11-26-12 07:09 PM
    I got a prediction. I think in 1 year BBs global smartphone market share (10+BBOS) will be equal to or greater than iPhone, it will obviously lag the 'free'-ware and I think WP8 will grow marginally but stay in the single digits .
    BB10 will definitely match up to iPhone 'global marketshare'.. Global penetration of BB is way deeper than iPhone. Android is extremely difficult to chase here like you mentioned.

What's even better.. BB10 Platform market share will easily be greater than iOS! On a whole.. Till 2012 Q3 iPhone sales have been 258 million.. and BlackBerry is not far behind at 195 million.. I say 1 year is when you would see the trend shifting.. and 2 years this will finally happen..

I feel BB10 is the final nail on the coffin signalling the end of pre-2012 type smartphones. It will be comic when people look back and say 'this' was my powerful smartphone..

Right now, there is no BB10 demand because people do not know what to ask for.. But going forward.. Windows have the design aesthetics.. Samsung has the power.. Android will step in and take cue from Microsoft and develop something for the masses with Samsung.. and behind all RIM has the brains. They are putting in benchmarks after benchmarks.
    Last edited by BB10CB; 11-27-12 at 04:09 AM.
    11-27-12 03:58 AM
    Dunno, I just booked an all-inclusive for 2013 on the Mayan Riveria, they had no concerns with the world ending.... wait, they did take my money, dammit!
    middbrew likes this.
    11-27-12 10:32 AM
    I got a prediction. I think in 1 year BBs global smartphone marketshare (10+BBOS) will be equal to or greater than iPhone, it will obviously lag the 'free'-ware and I think WP8 will grow marginally but stay in the single digits .

I feel pretty good about that one. Any other predictions? Disagree with it? Agree? Upset by it?

Its funny how there doesnt seem to be much of an attempt to report this but it would be interesting to know market share based on all personal computing devices. Tablets+PCs+Smartphones. Active user device marketshare (not counting devices that have been junked) would be good to know as well.
    Amen!
    11-27-12 12:51 PM
    I think there are two of these threads?? Or my device is broken..
    11-27-12 02:23 PM
    BB10 will definitely match up to iPhone 'global marketshare'..
    In a year? Apple would have to literally disappear tomorrow and BB10 would have to be the greatest success in tech history - no chance, not in that time period.
    11-27-12 02:33 PM
    I think there are two of these threads?? Or my device is broken..
    There's only one for me. So.....
    11-27-12 03:00 PM
    1Year Prediction....

I'd be interested to know how he thinks that will happen.

Good spec and a new OS didn't help PlayBook sales very much. Has RIM announced something about BB10 that is going to be life changing? NO they have not, cool yes but nothing that screams I have to have that like Apple's ecosystem does.

BB10 is going to get RIM back in the game, and give them a CHANCE to keep customers that they have, win back a few they lost and MAYBE gain some new ones. But it will be a long struggle to gain back a portion of their marketshare, nevermind becoming dominate again.
    anon3969612 likes this.
    11-27-12 03:00 PM
    Good spec and a new OS didn't help PlayBook sales very much. Has RIM announced something about BB10 that is going to be life changing? NO they have not, cool yes but nothing that screams I have to have that like Apple's ecosystem does.

BB10 is going to get RIM back in the game, and give them a CHANCE to keep customers that they have, win back a few they lost and MAYBE gain some new ones. But it will be a long struggle to gain back a portion of their marketshare, nevermind becoming dominate again.
    This is about the most accurate forecast I have read in 8 pages. It's up to Thorstein & crew to get this far in 2013, much less surpassing the leaders.

*still p!ssed @ the Mayans, smug b@stards*
    11-27-12 03:37 PM
    In a year? Apple would have to literally disappear tomorrow and BB10 would have to be the greatest success in tech history - no chance, not in that time period.
    Apple does not do well globally. It's not like Rim owns it.. But they definitely have a bigger market to sell.

IPhones are US centric and most of the iphone sales are through.. Maybe iphone 5s or 6 next year might rekindle the sales..

Outside us.. Rim has 3 tier segments to build markets in..

If you are talking about profit share or sales money.. I agree apple needs to die tomorrow to let bb10 win.. But if its global market share.. Globally rim has a bigger opportunity than appple.

Look samsung.. 130% growth on year.. Its difficult but not impossible
    11-27-12 03:51 PM
    This is about the most accurate forecast I have read in 8 pages. It's up to Thorstein & crew to get this far in 2013, much less surpassing the leaders.

*still p!ssed @ the Mayans, smug b@stards*
    How would you know it's accurate, events haven't occurred yet to validate or invalidate this forecast! Maybe you meant, 'sensible', 'realistic' or something along those lines? :-) just messing with ya! I know what you meant.
    11-27-12 06:12 PM
    Apple does not do well globally. It's not like Rim owns it.. But they definitely have a bigger market to sell.

IPhones are US centric and most of the iphone sales are through.. Maybe iphone 5s or 6 next year might rekindle the sales..

Outside us.. Rim has 3 tier segments to build markets in..

If you are talking about profit share or sales money.. I agree apple needs to die tomorrow to let bb10 win.. But if its global market share.. Globally rim has a bigger opportunity than appple.

Look samsung.. 130% growth on year.. Its difficult but not impossible
    What does global marketshare mean when profits are minuscule.
    11-27-12 08:53 PM
237 ... 678910