Dare I open the thread again? Yes a boat load of posts on BOTH sides were deleted. Folks we really need to learn to co exist. We can express our opinions WITHOUT the insults, we must or we WILL be issued infraction. And if you got one, don't sweat it, just be better next time. You don't have to agree, just be cool about it. Discuss it like civilized internet citizens!
    11-25-12 01:50 PM
    Dare I open the thread again? Yes a boat load of posts on BOTH sides were deleted. Folks we really need to learn to co exist. We can express our opinions WITHOUT the insults, we must or we WILL be issued infraction. And if you got one, don't sweat it, just be better next time. You don't have to agree, just be cool about it. Discuss it like civilized internet citizens!
    Right on
    pkcable likes this.
    11-25-12 02:33 PM
    Good point.

However, his prediction was for BB to meet or exceed "iPhone" market share in one year, with no specificity or defining parameters.

I'm taking him on his initial prediction and have bookmarked the thread.

Meet you here on February 28, 2014.

Assuming we live through the Mayan Apocalypse.
    Does anyone know what time this is supposed to happen on december 21? I need to know if i can sleep in or if i should be getting up early to see what happens.
    11-25-12 02:36 PM
    Does anyone know what time this is supposed to happen on december 21? I need to know if i can sleep in or if i should be getting up early to see what happens.
    All day mayhem..maybe?
    11-25-12 02:38 PM
    I'd go to the mountains.
    It worked in some meteor movie about ten years ago....I think.....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120647/
    11-25-12 02:39 PM
    Well, I'm thinking if it is going to happen I need to stay up from now until it does or doesn't. Got to play it safe one way or the other right?

But the Mayan Calendar doesn't have a time just the date. However I think it's safe for you to sleep in as most Mayan scholars have dismissed the dooms day prediction and suggest it's related to disease epidemics and droughts that could happen sometime down the road. The funny thing is the Mayans also predicted some things that will happen after 12/21/2012.
    11-25-12 02:46 PM
    I'd go to the mountains.
    It worked in some meteor movie about ten years ago....I think.....

Deep Impact (1998) - IMDb
    Deep Impact was a great movie.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-25-12 03:09 PM
    Well, I'm thinking if it is going to happen I need to stay up from now until it does or doesn't. Got to play it safe one way or the other right?

But the Mayan Calendar doesn't have a time just the date. However I think it's safe for you to sleep in as most Mayan scholars have dismissed the dooms day prediction and suggest it's related to disease epidemics and droughts that could happen sometime down the road. The funny thing is the Mayans also predicted some things that will happen after 12/21/2012.
    Mayan calender is just a repetition of cycles the last big one ends on 21/12/12 doomless winter!
    11-25-12 03:13 PM
    You can't like a company.
    . Unless you own stocks. Think, did you go into future shop and buy a RIM? No you bought a product. You like products not companies. This is how fanaticism starts, inability to differentiate your preferences. You never used a RIM you used a mobile device they made.
    Of course you can, companies and corporations are just like people, remember?
    11-25-12 03:39 PM
    Of course you can, companies and corporations are just like people, remember?
    I believe numerous posts regarding this have been removed so I will refrain from involving my opinions in the matter as you didnt understand before it would be fruitless to continue.

Good luck!
    pkcable likes this.
    11-25-12 03:40 PM
    I believe numerous posts regarding this have been removed so I will refrain from involving my opinions in the matter as you didnt understand before it would be fruitless to continue.

Good luck!
    Good call, mate.
    pkcable likes this.
    11-25-12 03:45 PM
    Good call, mate.
    Yea that's what I'm all about; good calls!
    spike12 and sydsam like this.
    11-25-12 03:51 PM
    You CAN disagree, you just need to not be disagreeable.

For example I don't agree with the OP either I think he's being overly optimistic, BUT he's entitled to his opinion. It's no less valid than any other opinion and until RIM "shows us the money" so to speak, all we have is speculation. Things look better and there IS hope, but to suggest that within a year RIM will jump Apple and Android, is premature. And I don't think this has to happen for BB10 to be a success and for the tide to change at RIM. A strong BB10 launch, putting them in a firm 3rd place and then growth over the next few years and THEN look out Apple and Android. But RIM has a long way to go and it's going to take more than a year BUT that's just my opinion!
    jafobabe, sydsam and middbrew like this.
    11-25-12 07:40 PM
    ^^ even if RIM did everything 110% and performed perfectly it still takes time for peoples contracts to expire and such. Like pkcable says its ALL speculation on both sides but its only 66 or so days or 2 months til we actually see whats what with BB10. Good thing the thread isn't closed it will be interesting to come back and see if anything has changed.

I will say this though for a company like RIM to come back to a strong 3rd place in a year will be amazing to watch and I hope hope hope they do because I like what they are about even though that changes from time to time. BTW I don't think MS has a chance in h3ll.
    11-25-12 08:28 PM
    I actually think that Windows Phone will be the number 1 platform in a few years (Unless BB10 is absolutely amazing). People are getting bored of android and ios.
    11-25-12 10:53 PM
    I actually think that Windows Phone will be the number 1 platform in a few years (Unless BB10 is absolutely amazing). People are getting bored of android and ios.
    Interesting, windows is definitely an option you are right
    11-25-12 10:57 PM
    Good point.

However, his prediction was for BB to meet or exceed "iPhone" market share in one year, with no specificity or defining parameters.

I'm taking him on his initial prediction and have bookmarked the thread.

Meet you here on February 28, 2014.

Assuming we live through the Mayan Apocalypse.
    Htc said. Time travel is a dangerous bussiness. :-P
    11-25-12 11:00 PM
    It may be too early to tell, but I think Microsoft may have mismanaged the launch on a few levels. One problem: Metro doesn't seem to be to everyone's taste. Worse, I think they've pushed some potential customers from indifference to genuine hostility by imposing Metro (or "Modern UI" if you absolutely insist) on Windows 8 users.

I personally like Metro, and Windows 8, but when I've tried to sell consulting clients on it I get a fairly typical response of "I HATE those tiles". I think it's totally possible that response could reflect on the phones, too.
    11-25-12 11:06 PM
    I think enthusiasm for WP8 will ramp up if and when it reaps the benefits of the shared NT kernel.

Advanced computer quality apps are currently missing from smartphone ecosystems despite their having the capability to run some of the less demanding.

When more advanced apps comes to WP8, it will help it gain a considerable edge against iOS and Android. So far, WP8 has the "Reader" app from Windows RT. The shared kernel also helped it get Angry Birds Star Wars when it would otherwise be missing for months.

WP8 isn't off to a bad start. Microsoft needs to put more effort porting over its programs, though, instead of focusing on Android and iOS.
    11-25-12 11:20 PM
    Do you have any stats to back this up? The iphone5, galaxyIII, and note 2 tell a different story judging by the sales.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    11-25-12 11:36 PM
    It may be too early to tell, but I think Microsoft may have mismanaged the launch on a few levels. One problem: Metro doesn't seem to be to everyone's taste. Worse, I think they've pushed some potential customers from indifference to genuine hostility by imposing Metro (or "Modern UI" if you absolutely insist) on Windows 8 users.

I personally like Metro, and Windows 8, but when I've tried to sell consulting clients on it I get a fairly typical response of "I HATE those tiles". I think it's totally possible that response could reflect on the phones, too.
    That's the reason I haven't gone from Windows 7 to Windows 8 on any of my laptops. I just can't get into those tiles.

...which by the way has me a bit worried about BB10's live tiles.....just a tad concerned.
    11-26-12 06:36 AM
    I have win8 on my lappy and ignore the metro/live tiles side because I don't like it, limited in options and settings.

I put win8 on my old lappy for my mom. She is trying it, I set it up with a live acct./login, she is having difficulties with the UI and how to do things she use to have no trouble with. Since I only used that side for a few days I have to search how to do what she wants. I have to hand it to her as I asked if she just wanted me to set it up so she can ignore that side also after one click and she said no I'll try this for awhile yet.
    11-26-12 06:48 AM
    I actually *like* the common UI between Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8. The lock screens are the same, the live tiles are similar (if not completely identical).
    Windows 8 also feels like it runs the same machine about 25% faster than Windows 7.
    Time will tell. And Microsoft has a lot of time to make it work. Steve Ballmer called Windows Phone "a long play". They can afford to wait and make it work.
    When the masses start getting machines with Windows 8, we will really know if it is accepted.
    11-26-12 07:09 AM
    I actually *like* the common UI between Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8. The lock screens are the same, the live tiles are similar (if not completely identical).
    Windows 8 also feels like it runs the same machine about 25% faster than Windows 7.
    Time will tell. And Microsoft has a lot of time to make it work. Steve Ballmer called Windows Phone "a long play". They can afford to wait and make it work.
    When the masses start getting machines with Windows 8, we will really know if it is accepted.
    Based on what kbz I am literally looking at they site.
    As we speak.
    I hate hating something without giving it a fair shot. Android and iOS taught me that!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 11-26-12 at 07:26 AM.
    kbz1960 and pantlesspenguin like this.
    11-26-12 07:13 AM
    It may be good on a phone or tablet but for me so far I don't like it on a desktop or laptop. For me I don't need my phone tablet and computers to be identical. I just want things like bookmarks, email and some files the same and in sync.
    11-26-12 07:26 AM
237 ... 56789 ...