Do you just have to mention the bigger number? not the most recent one, which is more relevant....
    11-25-12 08:48 AM
    Since this is a BlackBerry fan site, I believe we all want RIM to do well with the release of BB10 and to sell as many of them as they can and grow their business and reverse recent trends. It will I believe, simply be very difficult for the OP's prediction to come true.

The OP's premise surmises BB10 phones sold in the 9 months from Feb until a year from today would shatter recent sales records of the iPhones and the Samsung GSIII while Apples sales would have to fall apart. This would happen even after RIM miss sales to those locking themselves into 2 and 3 year contracts since the GSIII, Galaxy Note II and iPhone 5 will take a big share of potential buyers away for at least a period of time. I do understand the power of the global market but if you look at what drives the large sales of the most recent successful launches, the USA is a motivating factor along with Korea/Japan and Europe. RIM will need huge participation from Enterprise to make up the difference and while I believe there is a large pent up demand there, I believe that will happen over time rather than all at once, similar to the way Win 7 has replaced Win XP in offices.

Another limiting factor for RIM is Qualcom has cited the huge demand exceeding their ability to supply the processor expected to be in the early BB10 phones, even Apple is feeling that pinch in their inability to build the phones to demand. Only Samsung, because of their own ability to manufacture the processors they use in many of their leading phones, has the capability to produce the parts in the number needed to make the OP's prediction come true. Even if BB10 phones release to rave reviews I do not think RIM will be able to build them in the quantity necessary to make the prediction a reality.

Finally let me go off subject a min and address Apple's declining share price. Folks have heard of the "fiscal cliff" here in the USA? This is having a large affect on the share price of Apple. Yes their sales were weaker than expected the last quarter but there is no way the price would have come down this far without the pressure from the USA tax law changes coming in 2013. Many of the long holders of Apple have large profits holding the stock over a long period of gains. If the USA is unable to resolve the "fiscal cliff" capital gains taxes go from 15% to 49%. That's a huge incentive to get out now and pay the lower tax. Even if they do find a way to resolve the fiscal cliff, most believe the cap gains tax will be affected and that is adding incentive for longs to head for the exits. No discussion of the Apple share price can ignore this mitigating factor right now.
    11-25-12 09:12 AM
    Since this is a BlackBerry fan site, I believe we all want RIM to do well with the release of BB10 and to sell as many of them as they can and grow their business and reverse recent trends. It will I believe, simply be very difficult for the OP's prediction to come true.

The OP's premise surmises BB10 phones sold in the 9 months from Feb until a year from today would shatter recent sales records of the iPhones and the Samsung GSIII while Apples sales would have to fall apart. This would happen even after RIM miss sales to those locking themselves into 2 and 3 year contracts since the GSIII, Galaxy Note II and iPhone 5 will take a big share of potential buyers away for at least a period of time. I do understand the power of the global market but if you look at what drives the large sales of the most recent successful launches, the USA is a motivating factor along with Korea/Japan and Europe. RIM will need huge participation from Enterprise to make up the difference and while I believe there is a large pent up demand there, I believe that will happen over time rather than all at once, similar to the way Win 7 has replaced Win XP in offices.

Another limiting factor for RIM is Qualcom has cited the huge demand exceeding their ability to supply the processor expected to be in the early BB10 phones, even Apple is feeling that pinch in their inability to build the phones to demand. Only Samsung, because of their own ability to manufacture the processors they use in many of their leading phones, has the capability to produce the parts in the number needed to make the OP's prediction come true. Even if BB10 phones release to rave reviews I do not think RIM will be able to build them in the quantity necessary to make the prediction a reality.

Finally let me go off subject a min and address Apple's declining share price. Folks have heard of the "fiscal cliff" here in the USA? This is having a large affect on the share price of Apple. Yes their sales were weaker than expected the last quarter but there is no way the price would have come down this far without the pressure from the USA tax law changes coming in 2013. Many of the long holders of Apple have large profits holding the stock over a long period of gains. If the USA is unable to resolve the "fiscal cliff" capital gains taxes go from 15% to 49%. That's a huge incentive to get out now and pay the lower tax. Even if they do find a way to resolve the fiscal cliff, most believe the cap gains tax will be affected and that is adding incentive for longs to head for the exits. No discussion of the Apple share price can ignore this mitigating factor right now.
    Why do we have to want Rim to well?

As a consumer we should just want quality products.

So we should want rim to make good products, theoretically if i does that it will eventually do well.

Some of you guys are way to involved in the company rather than its products.
    11-25-12 09:44 AM
    so yes RIM is working 24/7 to make BB10 the best ever product RIM has ever put on the market, so now we can go back to supporting BB without reservation again.
    the decline of Apple stock might have to do with the taxes going up in the New Year, so what you get is tax gain selling and tax loss buying....
    11-25-12 09:50 AM
    Good point.

However, his prediction was for BB to meet or exceed "iPhone" market share in one year, with no specificity or defining parameters.

I'm taking him on his initial prediction and have bookmarked the thread.

Meet you here on February 28, 2014.

Assuming we live through the Mayan Apocalypse.
    Got it bookmark and will meet you here.

FYI: the Mayan Apocalypse was to be 12/21/2012 so we are safe.
    drjay868 likes this.
    11-25-12 10:33 AM
    Got it bookmark and will meet you here.

FYI: the Mayan Apocalypse was to be 12/21/2012 so we are safe.
    But 12/21/2012 hasn't happened yet
    11-25-12 10:34 AM
    good for you, i guess?
    11-25-12 10:39 AM
    Oh crap, my time machine failed again.
    11-25-12 10:41 AM

So we should want rim to make good products, theoretically if i does that it will eventually do well.

Because we want to continue buying bb products, that's why. And with the possibility of them delivering even better products, I would love for rim to do even better.
    11-25-12 11:07 AM
    Perhaps they sold more than they shipped due to inventory at various stores or chains' warehouses being eaten up.
    11-25-12 11:13 AM
    Because we want to continue buying bb products, that's why. And with the possibility of them delivering even better products, I would love for rim to do even better.
    If they make great products they will do well; they don't need you 'wanting for them to do well'. It's a tech company, let them shape their own fate... if they make great products they will do well, if they don't then they will fail. You don't play any role in that equation; you are just a consumer of products. What you want doesn't matter, if they deliver great products you will be happy and buy, if they deliver bad products you will still probably buy them and claim they raw great due to some form of delusion. But whatever lol we will see.
    11-25-12 11:16 AM

Some of us are shareholders too.
    But, if you like the company, why wouldn't you want it to survive to continue making the products you like or the competition you also like.
    11-25-12 11:16 AM
    Some of us are shareholders too.
    But, if you like the company, why wouldn't you want it to survive to continue making the products you like or the competition you also like.
    You can't like a company.
    . Unless you own stocks. Think, did you go into future shop and buy a RIM? No you bought a product. You like products not companies. This is how fanaticism starts, inability to differentiate your preferences. You never used a RIM you used a mobile device they made.
    11-25-12 11:18 AM
    I do support RIM because of the philanthropic work it has been associated with. I think that's reason enough to like a company and see it succeed.
    11-25-12 11:52 AM
    Since when is "******" an insult?

Retardation is the act or result of delaying; the extent to which anything is ******** or delayed; that which ******* or delays.

Get it right forum police
    From the Association of University Centers on Disabilities.

Portrayal of People with Disabilities

Words have power. Self-advocates with intellectual disabilities have clearly stated that negative language leads to harmful action, discrimination, abuse, negative stereotypes, disenfranchisement, and violence. "******" and "********" are derogatory and dehumanizing terms -- on par with the N-word used to describe African Americans, and various hateful terms used to describe members of the Jewish, gay and lesbian, and other minority communities. In addition, words and labels can cause others to think that people with intellectual disabilities are not able to achieve the things that others can achieve.

AUCD - Portrayal of People with Disabilities
    Engire, silversun10 and drjay868 like this.
    11-25-12 11:54 AM
    I do support RIM because of the philanthropic work it has been associated with. I think that's reason enough to like a company and see it succeed.
    My friend graduated from Waterloo engineering in 09, got hired in Waterloo doing some product testing for Rim he said it was the worst experience of his life. And contrary to popular belief Rim contributes nothing to the surrounding community. Besides balslies Waterloo donations, rim did nothing. They shipped most jobs to India in fact.
    11-25-12 11:57 AM
    If they make great products they will do well; they don't need you 'wanting for them to do well'. It's a tech company, let them shape their own fate... if they make great products they will do well, if they don't then they will fail. You don't play any role in that equation; you are just a consumer of products. What you want doesn't matter, if they deliver great products you will be happy and buy, if they deliver bad products you will still probably buy them and claim they raw great due to some form of delusion. But whatever lol we will see.
    Are you completely lost, mate? What does product quality has to do with how well the company is doing?
    11-25-12 11:57 AM
    Are you completely lost, mate? What does product quality has to do with how well the company is doing?
    Everything.. LOL???????
    11-25-12 11:59 AM
    You can't like a company.
    . Unless you own stocks. Think, did you go into future shop and buy a RIM? No you bought a product. You like products not companies. This is how fanaticism starts, inability to differentiate your preferences. You never used a RIM you used a mobile device they made.
    I need to correct your statement. You can and many people do like companies. You can also like their products but that is not required to like the company itself. The company can be liked for many reasons like the following.
    Customer Service
    Supporting just causes
    Employment practices
    Community support
    Green production practices
    Charitable donations

Those are just a few reasons why you can like a company even if you have never personally used a product or service offered by that company. To say that you can only like the product and not the company is flawed and in your own words "delayed".
    11-25-12 12:07 PM
    I need to correct your statement. You can and many people do like companies. You can also like their products but that is not required to like the company itself. The company can be liked for many reasons like the following.
    Customer Service
    Supporting just causes
    Employment practices
    Community support
    Charitable donations

Those are just a few reasons why you can like a company even if you have never personally used a product or service offered by that company. To say that you can only like the product and not the company is flawed and in your own words "delayed".
    You're tight, for example I called Vodafone last week, being half way trough my 2 years contract I wanted to reduce my monthly payments by �5 expecting a bit of a reduction in minutes and data. Instead they gave me 100 extra minutes and 250mb extra. I can say I like Vodafone right now and their Customer Services. That's how you treat a customer.
    11-25-12 12:15 PM
    Customer Service
    Supporting just causes
    Employment practices
    Community support
    Charitable donations

Thanks, apparently there are others who value these traits like I do.
    spike12 and pantlesspenguin like this.
    11-25-12 12:22 PM
    Thanks, apparently there are others who value these traits like I do.
    And you see these traits in RIM? Amazing, just amazing.
    11-25-12 12:24 PM
    Does the OP NOT see there is this device selling as we'll, if not better than the iPhone 5? The Samsung Galaxy III? Samsung within' 2yrs has basically taken over the number one spot for Android sales. To even contemplate a yet as off released device like the BB 10 could even overtake ANY smartphone device is Nieve and wishful thinking. Don't believe all the hype until the public sees any device first hand, and has at least 2-3 months of it out.
    11-25-12 12:24 PM
    That's a bit too much for a average consumer of mobile devices. Can't say the last time I met someone who discussed how much they enjoyed Microsoft's commitments to environmental safety. Although extremely unlikely you raw correct, you can like a company for other reasons.
    Well, not really. As you specifically pointed out Microsoft, there are a lot of people who like MS for their education foundation contributions. I'm sure there are also those who like RIM for some of the things they do even if you don't.

Rim has terrible customer service, especially in Canada. You have to contact your carrier for any repairs or issues. If you purchased a product indirectly from someone and not the carrier then your carrier wont support you. Then you have to pay For an rma ticket.

There are very few companies that have a large product output that do a direct repair or replacement. Most require you to go through the place you buy it from.
    Engire likes this.
    11-25-12 12:31 PM
    Does the OP NOT see there is this device selling as we'll, if not better than the iPhone 5? The Samsung Galaxy III?
    The GSIII is faaaaar behind. Just because Samsung sells more smartphones doesn't mean they're the SIII.
    11-25-12 12:36 PM
237 ... 45678 ...