Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mkaa00x
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default to update OS or stay

So far I've been able to avoid roots, and I'm still on 2.0.0.6149. I'm wondering if it would be worth updating in order to multi-task with android. Or would it be possible to update the android player itself? I still have google play, will I lose that with the update? Thanks!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts

stay cool and wait what all the lemmings rushing into
    New Beta Update 2.1.0.840
    and the few experts here will say in a month.

vague standard announcement about better security and mail etc
    won't do it for me - I expect a decent version history with
    detailed changes any small GNU project programer finds time for.

btw, rooted and sideloading as well as apk2bar's will provide me with decent
    apps in the future anyway - so what to fear if staying behind?

regards
    Damian
    Thanked by:
    jerryburst (08-15-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

I say go for it. Not only can you run multiple android apps simultaneously, the android player is much more stable in 2.1. The player freezing and having to reboot is now a thing of the past. You may lose an app or two, but you'll also be able to use some apps that won't work under 2.0 (for example, the 2.1 android player has access to the PB camera, so some android apps that need camera access will now work). Speaking for probably most of the lemmings that have updated to 2.1, you couldn't pay me to go back to 2.0.
    Thanked by:
    jerryburst (08-15-2012) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Is it possible to update just the Android player?
    CrackBerry Genius

I'm not aware of anyone doing that. I don't think that you can uninstall the current player, and I believe that those who unintentionally installed one android player on top of another wound up having a non-functioning android player. When the official OS 2.0 dropped, those who had installed the beta player under OS 1 and then installed OS 2 on top of it, wound up not being able to run any android apps. Plus, I believe that when some updated to the first beta 2.1, for some reason the install process loaded the 2.0 player instead of the 2.1 player, and they also wound up with a non-functioning player. So, it would seem to be a risky proposition at best.
    Thanked by:
    jerryburst (08-15-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jerryburst View Post
    Is it possible to update just the Android player?
    basically yes, although I cannot predict it will work and at your own risk.
    Hatax 'dared' once to throw a 2.0 version on 1x, can't see why shan't it work same now -
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...nstall-662783/

search this forum for latest OS 2.0.1 links, the recent one will turn up sooner or later here or elsewhere.

an older 2.0.1.358 version for a try - Playbook Elite

dl and extract the file and you'll spot a sys.android.bar.
    sideload it via DDBP.

see if its working, if not re-sideload the sys.android.bar which you extract
    from the OS version you dingled your device with.

whatever, the good thing being rooted and sideloading - you can always swap back.

and if you haven't got a clue at all what I was talking about I think you better off
    with pacoman03's advice.

regards
    Damian
    Thanked by:
    jerryburst (08-15-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts

DONT DO IT STAY ROOT! you can make a custom firmware if you want and update like that , make your self happy make some themes or download mine (I woulda used my ones but i couldnt because i went for os 2.0 update and now i feel dumb...)
    Blackberry Playbook Themes By Mkaa00x ^_^
    romuo_2007 likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Might be able to make a trade with someone if you don't root it even. Better for community to have rootable devices even if individuals don't care.