Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By magit4439
  • 1 Post By russworman
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default [solved] Update to OS 10 bricked Playbook to blue wallpaper - How to unbrick?

I updated my Playbook with Dingleberry 3.3.3 to OS 10.0.4.197 which worked fine except that I couldn't install any BB10 apps.
    So I tried to update to the more recent 10.0.9.1103 but I only used the "winchester.sdk-10.0.9.1103-nto+armle-v7+signed" in Firmware/Custom
    Update went fine but after reboot my Playbook is stuck on a blue wallpaper and apparently bricked.

How do I reset or downgrade the Playbook to a working or previous version?

Some instructions say:
    * disconnect and turn off Playbook
    * start Desktop Software (using 7.1 b39)
    * connect device which automatically turn it on
    * update dialog appears -> click Update
    => "There are no Blackberry Tablet OS updates available"
    ...which makes sense because I'm using the latest. How to downgrade?

Using Dingleberry doesn't work because it says "USB not connected". Help!
    Last edited by magit4439; 01-12-2013 at 04:28 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

Yea dingleberry WON'T work because it requires Developer Mode. You will most likely need to flash a PB OS using CFP. Oh and is the blue screen your on say anything about picking a language? The first and only time I tried to run BB10 I got a blue screen and couldn't press anything. It was the language screen.
    CrackBerry Genius

You can use Blackberry Desktop Manager. When it asks, choose 'Update'.

Otherwise, CFP.
    Developer of PPSSPP, ReQognise, Dingleberry, PB Connect, Sachesi, Sachup + Sachibar and other Qt apps. Porter of many opensource Qt apps.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Device was in developer mode before. Don't know which mode it is in now.
    The blue screen does nothing, no language selection.

I tried CFP 165 and 190 using:
    > cfp -v5 info (as admin)

--> Using USB timeout values.

--> calling BBDevMgr::Advise()

--> Connecting to bootrom.

Connecting to Bootrom:
    --> In FindADevice

--> FindADevice: Waiting for attach
    *reconnected USB here*

--> raw_DeviceConnect: failure during device filtering (0x80000057)

--> Device Detached
    *hangs here*
    @xsacha
    As said in first post Desktop Software believes there is no update available.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by magit4439 View Post
    Device was in developer mode before. Don't know which mode it is in now.
    The blue screen does nothing, no language selection.

I tried CFP 165 and 190 using:
    > cfp -v5 info (as admin)

@xsacha
    As said in first post Desktop Software believes there is no update available.
    Make sure the PB is OFF when you plug it into device manager.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

As said in first post, I tried that too.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

You said it turned on when you plugged it in. If it did, plug in you pb and then turn it off.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Alright, here's what I did:
    * With device off and unconnected, I start Desktop Software
    * Connect device => PB starts, Desktop Software offers to [retry] [update...] [cancel]
    * Without clicking anything, I wait for PB to get to blue screen and then turn it off again (as you said)
    * With device off, now I press [update] => "Confirm device repair - ... [repair]" => click [Repair]
    * "Reset your device - Press and hold the power button until the device turns off (it's already off?). Then press the power button again to turn it on."
    * I turn it on again => Password? => "Please wait..."
    * "Checking for BlackBerry Tablet OS - Please wait..." => "An updated version of BlackBerry Tablet OS is available. Do you want to install the update?" [Get update] [Update later] => click [Get update]
    * "Updating your BlackBerry Tablet OS can take up to an hour" [Install update] [Cancel] => click [Install update]
    * "Updating BlackBerry Tablet OS - Please wait while your BlackBerry Tablet OS is updated. During these steps, do not disconnect your tablet or interrupt this process as it could make your tablet unusable."

...download takes long, but it seems to work now. You're a hero "antiRIM"! Thank you so so much!

Update: it really did work
    Last edited by magit4439; 01-12-2013 at 06:08 PM.
    ayekon and antiRIM like this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

* Connect device => PB starts, Desktop Software offers to [retry] [update...] [cancel]
    * Without clicking anything, I wait for PB to get to blue screen and then turn it off again (as you said)
    * With device off, now I press [update] => "Confirm device repair - ... [repair]" => click [Repair]
    * "Reset your device - Press and hold the power button until the device turns off (it's already off?). Then press the power button again to turn it on."
    * "Checking for BlackBerry Tablet OS - Please wait..." => "An updated version of BlackBerry Tablet OS is available. Do you want to install the update?" [Get update] [Update later] => click [Get update]
    * "Updating your BlackBerry Tablet OS can take up to an hour" [Install update] [Cancel] => click [Install update]
    * "Updating BlackBerry Tablet OS - Please wait while your BlackBerry Tablet OS is updated. During these steps, do not disconnect your tablet or interrupt this process as it could make your tablet unusable."

...download takes long, but it seems to work now. You're a hero "antiRIM"! Thank you so so much!

I was not so lucky.I get an error message is "An error has occurred while updating your device's software. Unspecified error encountered [A:0x000000A2]" .
    please help me
    CrackBerry Abuser

This works... If not, learn the corruption methods in CFP...

Global Posts
    10,524 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Nguyen View Post
    I was not so lucky.I get an error message is "An error has occurred while updating your device's software. Unspecified error encountered [A:0x000000A2]" .
    please help me
    The download was probably interrupted. Use CFP.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by SCrid2000 View Post
    The download was probably interrupted. Use CFP.
    I can't use the CFP or BDM to reload os 2.1.0.1314 , it will be twice red blink . current my playbook only load os 10.0.4.197 .
    How can I go back os 2?

Global Posts
    10,524 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

You extracted the .signed from the 2.1.0.1314 coreOS .bar, CFPed it, and you're still getting blinking lights?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by SCrid2000 View Post
    You extracted the .signed from the 2.1.0.1314 coreOS .bar, CFPed it, and you're still getting blinking lights?
    Yes, I get the signed file from folder "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Research In Motion\Application Loader\Cache\9b1e3cb9ad64eb2fd573c657f287c393b0ea7 bb5" after update by BDM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I have tried to load 2.1 via CFP as well, no luck. Just 2 blinking red lights. I've tried 2.1.0.1314 and 2.1.0.1526, neither have worked. I'm currently running 10.0.6.671, but would love to be able to go back to 2.1 somehow.
    BlackBerry Z10LE + Z30
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle27 View Post
    I have tried to load 2.1 via CFP as well, no luck. Just 2 blinking red lights. I've tried 2.1.0.1314 and 2.1.0.1526, neither have worked. I'm currently running 10.0.6.671, but would love to be able to go back to 2.1 somehow.
    You should try running another version of 10.0.6 that you have seen running on the PB. If that doesn't work, then you might have to wait for BB10 to be available on the PB officially and then load that.

But have you tried using Desktop manager? Just fire it up and plug it in, it should try to get you to "Update/Restore".
    CrackBerry Abuser

Desktop Manager fails during the software extraction phase, as does Link and blackberry.com/updates . I haven't been able to load 2.1 for about 4 or 5 months now.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry Z10LE + Z30
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts

The bootloader is blocking anything other than BB10 from launching since the developers did not want it executing on the Playbook other than the Dev platforms. Only Blackberry has the restore firmware loader that can enable the Playbook to run OS2.1.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN

Kris Simundson posted in another thread "I wonder if I could take a back up change HWID to the ID if the STL100-1 so that way users just need to install a back up..... could do a back up of a blank new OS" This got me thinking... I'm curious if this might work on PlayBook? I would personally try, but, I don't have access to a Windows pc at the moment... Any thoughts or ideas on this are appreciated!

Posted via CB10
    "Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!" -Will Rogers
    antiRIM likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN

Actually, post above that I quoted I had read after this one from lyricidal that stated "further update on my progress, brought over from my previous post edits:

might look into editing the manifest.xml for my amusement, wondering if that is all that controls what version Link sees, but doubt it...

haha so it is all that it is.... so if you update to the leak on your z10 and then do a backup, rename it to .zip and edit the manifest.xml to have the 2432 or 2454 OS at this part: , add it to your backup overwriting the previous, rename to .bbb again, and then you can restore

a lot of work to just get the updated facebook but at least now we know we can carry over old back ups!

images below:

edited manifest with .5555 as the OS, will not load over the 4285 OS
    restoring it works, all that was changed is OS version

sidenote: lol at me editing my PIN in one and not the other.... #fail

Prepared a post if this is proven to work, any additions, comments, edits are welcome:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stumbled upon this method this evening...

Please try it and don't beat me if it doesn't work for you :P
    Try at your own risk, as usual!

Backup your device using BlackBerry Link
    Rename your backup to .zip
    Open it with WinRar, 7-zip, WinZip, etc. (I use WinRar)
    Extract Manifest.xml (it is right there when you open it)
    Edit Manifest.xml at this line to the OS you need to restore:
    Save Manifest.xml
    Add the edited Manifest.xml to your renamed .zip file
    Rename your backup to .bbb
    Restore"

Posted via CB10"
    "Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!" -Will Rogers
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by russworman View Post
    Actually, post above that I quoted I had read after this one from lyricidal that stated "further update on my progress, brought over from my previous post edits:

might look into editing the manifest.xml for my amusement, wondering if that is all that controls what version Link sees, but doubt it...

haha so it is all that it is.... so if you update to the leak on your z10 and then do a backup, rename it to .zip and edit the manifest.xml to have the 2432 or 2454 OS at this part: , add it to your backup overwriting the previous, rename to .bbb again, and then you can restore

a lot of work to just get the updated facebook but at least now we know we can carry over old back ups!

images below:

edited manifest with .5555 as the OS, will not load over the 4285 OS
    restoring it works, all that was changed is OS version

sidenote: lol at me editing my PIN in one and not the other.... #fail

Prepared a post if this is proven to work, any additions, comments, edits are welcome:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stumbled upon this method this evening...

Please try it and don't beat me if it doesn't work for you :P
    Try at your own risk, as usual!

Backup your device using BlackBerry Link
    Rename your backup to .zip
    Open it with WinRar, 7-zip, WinZip, etc. (I use WinRar)
    Extract Manifest.xml (it is right there when you open it)
    Edit Manifest.xml at this line to the OS you need to restore:
    Save Manifest.xml
    Add the edited Manifest.xml to your renamed .zip file
    Rename your backup to .bbb
    Restore"

Posted via CB10"
    I would try it, but I only have 1 playbook.