[solved] Update to OS 10 bricked Playbook to blue wallpaper - How to unbrick?
I updated my Playbook with Dingleberry 3.3.3 to OS 10.0.4.197 which worked fine except that I couldn't install any BB10 apps.
So I tried to update to the more recent 10.0.9.1103 but I only used the "winchester.sdk-10.0.9.1103-nto+armle-v7+signed" in Firmware/Custom
Update went fine but after reboot my Playbook is stuck on a blue wallpaper and apparently bricked.
How do I reset or downgrade the Playbook to a working or previous version?
Some instructions say:
* disconnect and turn off Playbook
* start Desktop Software (using 7.1 b39)
* connect device which automatically turn it on
* update dialog appears -> click Update
=> "There are no Blackberry Tablet OS updates available"
...which makes sense because I'm using the latest. How to downgrade?
Using Dingleberry doesn't work because it says "USB not connected". Help!
Last edited by magit4439; 01-12-2013 at 03:28 PM.
- 01-10-2013, 04:39 PM #2
Yea dingleberry WON'T work because it requires Developer Mode. You will most likely need to flash a PB OS using CFP. Oh and is the blue screen your on say anything about picking a language? The first and only time I tried to run BB10 I got a blue screen and couldn't press anything. It was the language screen.
- CrackBerry Genius
01-11-2013, 02:02 AM #3
- 2,032 Posts
You can use Blackberry Desktop Manager. When it asks, choose 'Update'.
Device was in developer mode before. Don't know which mode it is in now.
The blue screen does nothing, no language selection.
I tried CFP 165 and 190 using:
> cfp -v5 info (as admin)
--> Using USB timeout values.
--> calling BBDevMgr::Advise()
--> Connecting to bootrom.
Connecting to Bootrom:
--> In FindADevice
--> FindADevice: Waiting for attach
*reconnected USB here*
--> raw_DeviceConnect: failure during device filtering (0x80000057)
--> Device Detached
As said in first post Desktop Software believes there is no update available.
Alright, here's what I did:
* With device off and unconnected, I start Desktop Software
* Connect device => PB starts, Desktop Software offers to [retry] [update...] [cancel]
* Without clicking anything, I wait for PB to get to blue screen and then turn it off again (as you said)
* With device off, now I press [update] => "Confirm device repair - ... [repair]" => click [Repair]
* "Reset your device - Press and hold the power button until the device turns off (it's already off?). Then press the power button again to turn it on."
* I turn it on again => Password? => "Please wait..."
* "Checking for BlackBerry Tablet OS - Please wait..." => "An updated version of BlackBerry Tablet OS is available. Do you want to install the update?" [Get update] [Update later] => click [Get update]
* "Updating your BlackBerry Tablet OS can take up to an hour" [Install update] [Cancel] => click [Install update]
* "Updating BlackBerry Tablet OS - Please wait while your BlackBerry Tablet OS is updated. During these steps, do not disconnect your tablet or interrupt this process as it could make your tablet unusable."
...download takes long, but it seems to work now. You're a hero "antiRIM"! Thank you so so much!
Update: it really did work
Last edited by magit4439; 01-12-2013 at 05:08 PM.
- 01-24-2013, 06:07 PM #11
- 01-25-2013, 09:33 AM #13
You extracted the .signed from the 22.214.171.1244 coreOS .bar, CFPed it, and you're still getting blinking lights?
- CrackBerry Abuser
06-02-2013, 11:50 PM #15
- 128 Posts
I have tried to load 2.1 via CFP as well, no luck. Just 2 blinking red lights. I've tried 126.96.36.1994 and 188.8.131.526, neither have worked. I'm currently running 10.0.6.671, but would love to be able to go back to 2.1 somehow.
- 06-03-2013, 02:09 PM #16
But have you tried using Desktop manager? Just fire it up and plug it in, it should try to get you to "Update/Restore".
- CrackBerry User
06-03-2013, 10:10 PM #18
- 68 Posts
The bootloader is blocking anything other than BB10 from launching since the developers did not want it executing on the Playbook other than the Dev platforms. Only Blackberry has the restore firmware loader that can enable the Playbook to run OS2.1.
- CrackBerry Addict
06-05-2013, 12:18 AM #19
- 622 Posts
Kris Simundson posted in another thread "I wonder if I could take a back up change HWID to the ID if the STL100-1 so that way users just need to install a back up..... could do a back up of a blank new OS" This got me thinking... I'm curious if this might work on PlayBook? I would personally try, but, I don't have access to a Windows pc at the moment... Any thoughts or ideas on this are appreciated!
Posted via CB10"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!" -Will Rogers
- CrackBerry Addict
06-05-2013, 12:26 AM #20
- 622 Posts
Actually, post above that I quoted I had read after this one from lyricidal that stated "further update on my progress, brought over from my previous post edits:
might look into editing the manifest.xml for my amusement, wondering if that is all that controls what version Link sees, but doubt it...
haha so it is all that it is.... so if you update to the leak on your z10 and then do a backup, rename it to .zip and edit the manifest.xml to have the 2432 or 2454 OS at this part: , add it to your backup overwriting the previous, rename to .bbb again, and then you can restore
a lot of work to just get the updated facebook but at least now we know we can carry over old back ups!
edited manifest with .5555 as the OS, will not load over the 4285 OS
restoring it works, all that was changed is OS version
sidenote: lol at me editing my PIN in one and not the other.... #fail
Prepared a post if this is proven to work, any additions, comments, edits are welcome:
Stumbled upon this method this evening...
Please try it and don't beat me if it doesn't work for you :P
Try at your own risk, as usual!
Backup your device using BlackBerry Link
Rename your backup to .zip
Open it with WinRar, 7-zip, WinZip, etc. (I use WinRar)
Extract Manifest.xml (it is right there when you open it)
Edit Manifest.xml at this line to the OS you need to restore:
Add the edited Manifest.xml to your renamed .zip file
Rename your backup to .bbb
Posted via CB10""Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!" -Will Rogers
- By tv1919 in forum BlackBerry PlayBook OSReplies: 8Last Post: 03-22-2013, 11:07 PM
- By andrewnprice in forum BlackBerry PlayBookReplies: 0Last Post: 11-01-2011, 11:15 PM
- By xTheCanadian in forum BlackBerry Curve 3GReplies: 2Last Post: 04-28-2011, 10:07 AM
- By justjerry in forum Mac UsersReplies: 0Last Post: 03-29-2010, 06:26 PM
- By craig55 in forum Storm OS DiscussionReplies: 3Last Post: 05-16-2009, 10:09 PM