CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default tell me if this is possible

when you connect to the internet your playbook searches the rim server for updates to the playbook os would it be possible to trick my playbook into thinking that its connect to rims server when it is conected to my computer and downgrade the os that way
    CrackBerry Master

No.

(Simply because the message isn't long enough to post, I'll add an explanation why: Without knowing the PB private key [which as the name suggests, is private, and only RIM have access to it], you could not modify the OS files in any way, meaning the PB would still recognise them as an old version of the OS, and it would therefore not work. There was at a time a process for downgrading using a proxy server in this manner, but that was before RIM started blacklisting OS versions in NVRAM, which is what prevents downgrades now)
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
    Thanked by:
    Lee Chadwick (01-21-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

That, and PB will not take any OS without the fingerprint.dat which was first introduced in 2.0.0.7971. Honestly though, tell me why you would want to downgrade the OS? To root? Rooting doesn't grant you much. You can sideload without it. It gives you access to android market? Sure, but most apps don't work.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by masterscarhead1 View Post
    That, and PB will not take any OS without the fingerprint.dat which was first introduced in 2.0.0.7971. Honestly though, tell me why you would want to downgrade the OS? To root? Rooting doesn't grant you much. You can sideload without it. It gives you access to android market? Sure, but most apps don't work.
    Actually no, fingerprint.dat has absolutely nothing to do with root, but it was thought to be the reason for several months. So basically what Sifjar was saying is that nothing computer based can do anything to help you get root because the problem is within the playbook and is basically locked with RIM's keys (playbook has public version) and (RIM has private version), which work just like a key and lock. Except RIM has the key and you want on the other side of the door which is where root is.