Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    408 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Rooting why should I

I see all the posts about how to root a new PB but now with all of the new apps and upgrades to the OS and the ability to side load why do it????

I guess on a rooted PB you can use Skype? Yes or no?

I guess on a rooted PB you can use NetFlix? Yes or no?

I guess on a rooted PB you can use Hulu? Yes or no?

I guess on a rooted PB you can use Android app store and load apk file directly onto the playbook? Yes or no?

Can you still buy or load apps from BB app store? Yes or no?

Can you still sideload .bar files? Yes or no?

But don't you loose the ability to update to a more stable system with future BBOS updates.

How would you update Flash on a rooted PB.

How do you update to android 3, 4 or even 4.1?

If you do root what do you looose the ability to do?

Just a lot of questions to get my head around......... and wondering if it is worth making a purchase of a new BBPB just to be able to root it.

Thanks in advance crackberry friends......

"People may not remember exactly what you did or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    HEAD

I have a new 64Gb Playbook that I got on special from Office Depot. I have been searching for an answer to the question posed here..."why should someone consider rooting and what is to be gained?" Apparently the original poster couldn't get anyone to respond, so I will try it again. And yes, I did a search on the rooting forum and can't find an appropriate set of search words/commands to find the answer.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: Rooting why should I

no, no, don't know, yes (but no more than sideloading, which you can still do)
    CrackBerry Abuser

I'm pretty sure yoy can still get apps from appworld.
    CrackBerry Abuser

if you update you lose root, you're not updqting android, and I don't know about flash
    CrackBerry Abuser

sorry for multiple replies, but you can't see the thread in tapatalk
    and, as best I can, I answered the questionsfrom the op, seeing as they were the catalyst.
    Last edited by kboya; 12-19-2012 at 05:28 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kretch View Post
    I see all the posts about how to root a new PB but now with all of the new apps and upgrades to the OS and the ability to side load why do it????

I guess on a rooted PB you can use Skype? Yes or no?

I guess on a rooted PB you can use NetFlix? Yes or no?

I guess on a rooted PB you can use Hulu? Yes or no?

I guess on a rooted PB you can use Android app store and load apk file directly onto the playbook? Yes or no?

Can you still buy or load apps from BB app store? Yes or no?

Can you still sideload .bar files? Yes or no?

But don't you loose the ability to update to a more stable system with future BBOS updates.

How would you update Flash on a rooted PB.

How do you update to android 3, 4 or even 4.1?

If you do root what do you looose the ability to do?

Just a lot of questions to get my head around......... and wondering if it is worth making a purchase of a new BBPB just to be able to root it.

Thanks in advance crackberry friends......

EDIT See this thread was created 5 months ago, and never got a response? This ties in with my comments about being on your own.

Q: Did you ever root the device?

************************************************** ************************************************** **********************************************

You think all the answers would be in the STICKY about the rooting process, instead it's scattered amongst multiple threads.

Oh wait, there is no sticky on the process.

Root=
    Ability to theme
    YES to Hullu, Google Play Store
    Stuck at old OS version, with all that entails.
    Numbericlly not many people running a PlayBook in the world, so if you run into problems you're on your own for all intents and purposes.

Android player stuck @ 2.3, even if you do find a way to upgrade it most newer apps won't run as the needed files aren't there.

Unless you need Hulu, Google Play not worth it, if your time is needed for real world issues. Side loading works fine on official OS version 2.1.1088
    Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 12-20-2012 at 10:09 AM.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    HEAD

Thanks for commenting. While someone may figure out how to update and keep rooting, I see that as a major reason NOT to root at this point in time. Yes, maybe we will never be able to root after that but since no one can provide some major reason to do it (at least for the user that bought a PlayBook to use as intended), I think I will just act surprised on Christmas morning and fire it up.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreNotAlone View Post
    EDIT See this thread was created 5 months ago, and never got a response? This ties in with my comments about being on your own.

You think all the answers would be in the STICKY about the rooting process, instead it's scattered amongst multiple threads.

Oh wait, there is no sticky on the process.
    please, please, please collate the information from these threads, get another playbook and root it, and write a guide worthy of being a sticky. sell one you already have and buy another, the total loss (uk prices) would be about 20, and then you'd have a sticky (and be the author).