Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
Like Tree8Likes
  1. phil8715's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Rooting PlayBook On fw: v 2.1.0.1088?

    Is it possible to root the PlayBook using the current fw v 2.1.0.1088?

    Or do I have to downgrade 2.0xxxx?

    The reason I ask this is I have a game on my Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 that is only available on Android I want to install the Google Play Store in order to download the game and play it on my PlayBook.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Khouri86 likes this.
  2. samab's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,294 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,063 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default Re: Rooting PlayBook On fw: v 2.1.0.1088

    Any worthwhile game would have a lot of native codes --- which means that it won't run in the Playbook's Android Player.

    Having Google Play Store in your Playbook won't change the fact that the game is not going to run on the Playbook.
  3. GreyGhostRos's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    439 Posts
    Global Posts
    456 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default Re: Rooting PlayBook On fw: v 2.1.0.1088

    No.. No way to root or downgrade from 2.1..
    And even with rooted playbook if the game uses native code it will not work unless someone creates a highly moded App player with native lib supports and you compile the libs used in that game for native qnx (if it uses any game engine etc)
    If it does not use native code simply side loading will work just same as being rooted.. [Read the sideloading subsection for howto sideload]
  4. phil8715's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

    Default Rooting PlayBook On fw: v 2.1.0.1088

    Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhostRos View Post
    No.. No way to root or downgrade from 2.1..
    And even with rooted playbook if the game uses native code it will not work unless someone creates a highly moded App player with native lib supports and you compile the libs used in that game for native qnx (if it uses any game engine etc)
    If it does not use native code simply side loading will work just same as being rooted.. [Read the sideloading subsection for howto sideload]
    I know how to sideload using DDPB, and indeed have used it on many occasions. Pity the APK to Bar conversion doesn't work, another pretty pointless app.

    What's the point of being able to root and install the Google Play Store if the apps or games won't play on the Playbook? It seems quite pointless really.

    The game I'm After is Bus Parking 3D.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  5. GreyGhostRos's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    439 Posts
    Global Posts
    456 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default Re: Rooting PlayBook On fw: v 2.1.0.1088

    Quote Originally Posted by phil8715 View Post
    I know how to sideload using DDPB, and indeed have used it on many occasions. Pity the APK to Bar conversion doesn't work, another pretty pointless app.

    What's the point of being able to root and install the Google Play Store if the apps or games won't play on the Playbook? It seems quite pointless really.

    The game I'm After is Bus Parking 3D.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Pain of not having to convert? And other stuff like USB OTG, Theming and hopefully other stuff in the future..
  6. samab's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,294 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,063 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default Re: Rooting PlayBook On fw: v 2.1.0.1088

    Quote Originally Posted by phil8715 View Post
    What's the point of being able to root and install the Google Play Store if the apps or games won't play on the Playbook? It seems quite pointless really.
    There is no point to root the Playbook at all --- all you ended up with is a Playbook with old buggy software, access to a buggy USB OTB and the ability to theme your Playbook.
  7. xsacha's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,945 Posts
    #7  

    Default Re: Rooting PlayBook On fw: v 2.1.0.1088

    I rooted my Playbook and with a few lines in bash (which will be added to Dingleberry 4.0) I was able to get a fully functioning USB OTG (switches between host and slave).
    Also, can install any app (this will be added to Dingleberry 4.0). Even BBM . And yeah you can update all the software.
    Developer of PPSSPP, ReQognise, Dingleberry, PB Connect, Sachesi, Sachup + Sachibar and other Qt apps. Porter of many opensource Qt apps.
    Thanked by 4:
    antiRIM (11-01-2012),  BB_Bmore (11-01-2012),  SifJar (11-02-2012),  WeAreNotAlone (11-15-2012) 
  8. BB_Bmore's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,844 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,856 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications
    #8  

    Default Re: Rooting PlayBook On fw: v 2.1.0.1088

    Dude ,while Im inclined to say "Your kidding me right"?
    Knowing you,you are not kidding at all and this is why you are truly fn awesome!! CAnt wait!!
    Quote Originally Posted by xsacha View Post
    I rooted my Playbook and with a few lines in bash (which will be added to Dingleberry 4.0) I was able to get a fully functioning USB OTG (switches between host and slave).
    Also, can install any app (this will be added to Dingleberry 4.0). Even BBM . And yeah you can update all the software.
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
  9. antiRIM's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    485 Posts
    Global Posts
    486 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default Re: Rooting PlayBook On fw: v 2.1.0.1088

    Quote Originally Posted by xsacha View Post
    I rooted my Playbook and with a few lines in bash (which will be added to Dingleberry 4.0) I was able to get a fully functioning USB OTG (switches between host and slave).
    Also, can install any app (this will be added to Dingleberry 4.0). Even BBM . And yeah you can update all the software.
    To be clear, you did this with your new PB and not the one running 2.0.0.+ software right?
  10. GreyGhostRos's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    439 Posts
    Global Posts
    456 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default Re: Rooting PlayBook On fw: v 2.1.0.1088

    Quote Originally Posted by antiRIM View Post
    To be clear, you did this with your new PB and not the one running 2.0.0.+ software right?
    Yes xsacha got a new playbook and rooted it
    And has been doing fun stuff since
    Thanked by:
    antiRIM (11-01-2012) 
  11. Tha.Housewife's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    340 Posts
    #11  

    Default Re: Rooting PlayBook On fw: v 2.1.0.1088

    I did it...and I'm not even sure how exactly...ran dingle berry last week.....and I think I did the usb otg code right..not sure...


    so today it dawned on me to use my husbands y usb cord.. the red end goes in power..etc etc and after the power powered up my 121 gig hard drive.... I was shocked...lol I'm like ok now what...some one..can I truelyutilizemy external hd?
    I just had my first RIMISM today!!!!
  12. Sith_Apprentice's Avatar

    Posts
    9,744 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,746 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    #12  

    Default Re: Rooting PlayBook On fw: v 2.1.0.1088

    Quote Originally Posted by xsacha View Post
    I rooted my Playbook and with a few lines in bash (which will be added to Dingleberry 4.0) I was able to get a fully functioning USB OTG (switches between host and slave).
    Also, can install any app (this will be added to Dingleberry 4.0). Even BBM . And yeah you can update all the software.
    So rooting will be back in play? Do you have any eta on the release of this?
  13. SifJar's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,373 Posts
    #13  

    Default Re: Rooting PlayBook On fw: v 2.1.0.1088

    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
    So rooting will be back in play? Do you have any eta on the release of this?
    Only for people still rooted from before. This isn't a new root method for updated PBs, it's just extended support for rooted devices.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
  14. Sith_Apprentice's Avatar

    Posts
    9,744 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,746 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    #14  

    Default Re: Rooting PlayBook On fw: v 2.1.0.1088

    Quote Originally Posted by SifJar View Post
    Only for people still rooted from before. This isn't a new root method for updated PBs, it's just extended support for rooted devices.
    well that is just disappointing! lol so he rooted from a new device (OS 1.x) and kept root while upgrading.
  15. dbmalloy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,541 Posts
    #15  

    Default Re: Rooting PlayBook On fw: v 2.1.0.1088

    Here we go again... at what point do people get it.... Android on the Playbook only supports certain code... One of the main reasons Skype does not work on the PB.... RIM never said the Android Player would play all Android apps... people just seen to see Android and assumes that the Playbook will run them... As for rooting... rooted my Playbook a number of times and found it extremely unstable... as for using the usb for hard drive support... good way to fry your Playbook as it is not designed to handle that kind of power draw... remember... just because you can.... does not mean you should....
    Reda Kayssoumi likes this.
  16. BullMarket's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    107 Posts
    #16  

    Default Re: Rooting PlayBook On fw: v 2.1.0.1088

    Quote Originally Posted by dbmalloy View Post
    As for rooting... rooted my Playbook a number of times and found it extremely unstable... ...
    Ahh...you are making me smile on this Friday afternoon. I am glad all the reviews for those unrooted on 2.1.0.1088 are not complaining about instability and buggy operation.

    Have a great weekend, All...Cheers!
  17. BB_Bmore's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,844 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,856 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications
    #17  

    Default Re: Rooting PlayBook On fw: v 2.1.0.1088

    Why do I feel like a child who was just harshly scolded by his parent? = )
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
  18. samab's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,294 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,063 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default Re: Rooting PlayBook On fw: v 2.1.0.1088

    Quote Originally Posted by BullMarket View Post
    Ahh...you are making me smile on this Friday afternoon. I am glad all the reviews for those unrooted on 2.1.0.1088 are not complaining about instability and buggy operation.

    Have a great weekend, All...Cheers!
    There are always going to be the same issues after each OS updates which can be fixed by simple acts --- Apple tells people to shut off the wifi router and then turning it back on if you have wifi issues as well.

    Basically the majority of the issues can be fixed by turning the wifi router on/off, turning the Playbook on/off, clearing browser cache, turning adobe flash on/off...
    BullMarket likes this.
  19. BullMarket's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    107 Posts
    #19  

    Default Re: Rooting PlayBook On fw: v 2.1.0.1088

    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    There are always going to be the same issues after each OS updates which can be fixed by simple acts --- Apple tells people to shut off the wifi router and then turning it back on if you have wifi issues as well.

    Basically the majority of the issues can be fixed by turning the wifi router on/off, turning the Playbook on/off, clearing browser cache, turning adobe flash on/off...
    All very good practices....I have found that a reboot solves 98% of most problems...Cheers!
  20. poomslike's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    177 Posts
    PIN
    236D6091
    #20  

    Default Re: Rooting PlayBook On fw: v 2.1.0.1088?

    But xsacha said will be added to dingleberry 4 !!! so dingleberry 4 will be able to root the 2.1 OS ?
  21. GreyGhostRos's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    439 Posts
    Global Posts
    456 Global Posts
    #21  

    Default Re: Rooting PlayBook On fw: v 2.1.0.1088?

    Quote Originally Posted by poomslike View Post
    But xsacha said will be added to dingleberry 4 !!! so dingleberry 4 will be able to root the 2.1 OS ?
    No.. There is No root method for post beta non downgradable 2.0 or 2.1.. From what I understand Dingleberry 4.0 is only going to work for the older rootable/ downgradable devices.. But will support things like making newer apps run etc.. Maybe USB OTG activation etc..
  22. adi_vastava's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    122 Posts
    #22  

    Default Re: Rooting PlayBook On fw: v 2.1.0.1088

    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    There are always going to be the same issues after each OS updates which can be fixed by simple acts --- Apple tells people to shut off the wifi router and then turning it back on if you have wifi issues as well.

    Basically the majority of the issues can be fixed by turning the wifi router on/off, turning the Playbook on/off, clearing browser cache, turning adobe flash on/off...
    <OT>And people still bash windows for restarting. </OT>
  23. WeAreNotAlone's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    230 Posts
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xsacha View Post
    I rooted my Playbook and with a few lines in bash (which will be added to Dingleberry 4.0) I was able to get a fully functioning USB OTG (switches between host and slave).
    Also, can install any app (this will be added to Dingleberry 4.0). Even BBM . And yeah you can update all the software.
    RE: Rooting PlayBook On fw: v 2.1.0.1088?

    Good to hear you have a unit to play with again, so many times on the net once a developer no longer has access to a device they lose interest (duh) and the project goes "Poof".

    Q: Are you serious about Dingleberry 4.0 working fw: v 2.1.0.1088 + ? I've read something about the file system /backups being encrypted and rooting is not possible.

    Q: Do you have a ETA on 4.0? (Ballpark) Have (1) unit that auto-updated to fw: v 2.1.0.1088.
    Q: As it stands now with the tools currently available as of 2012-11 once rooted, will device accept v 2.1.0.1088 and later?

    .
  24. SifJar's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,373 Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Dingleberry 4.0 will not root 2.1.0.1088. It can still only root up to the last rootable OS. The difference is it has some sort of custom upgrade proceedure allowing people to update while keeping root. It still relies on you being rooted at the earlier OS.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
    Thanked by:
    WeAreNotAlone (11-17-2012) 
  25. WeAreNotAlone's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    230 Posts
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SifJar View Post
    Dingleberry 4.0 will not root 2.1.0.1088. It can still only root up to the last rootable OS. The difference is it has some sort of custom upgrade proceedure allowing people to update while keeping root. It still relies on you being rooted at the earlier OS.
    Q: Is it possible to downgrade from 2.1.0.1088? (No, right?)

    Have (2) NOS (New Old Stock) PB 64 GB's I should get today.

    Q: What is the procedure to flash to a version of the OS that IS root friendly, additionally what version should I flash?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. USB Host on a rooted Playbook
    By 4speed in forum PlayBook Rooting
    Replies: 251
    Last Post: 04-29-2012, 04:10 AM
  2. Spotify(android) on a rooted Playbook?
    By fwlfwlfwl in forum PlayBook Rooting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-10-2012, 06:25 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-07-2012, 11:22 AM
  4. VPN on Rooted Playbook
    By naveed126 in forum PlayBook Rooting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2012, 03:07 PM
  5. Can i Delete the old WiFi Driver on my rooted playbook?
    By eldesahogoonline in forum PlayBook Rooting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-2011, 12:53 AM

Posting Permissions