Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Root for brand new pb's - Guide how to do it

Hi guys, after reading few posts I decided to answer you and give you the most detailed guide how to get rooted brand new pb with all necessary tools.

What we need:
    Playbook, Dingleberry, cfp, 4869 or 6149 os, usb cable.

How to proceed:
    1. The most important thing is to get familiar with cfp. The thing is I cant give you link so you have to find it, but google should do the job, and I found like tons of different cfp's so dont worry about it, just google.
    1.1 Set up cfp.exe.
    Once you have cfp ready (Im on win7 so I give guide to this os) save it in ''C:\users\xxx(your pc name). Then press ctrl + r and type in ''cmd''. This will open command prompt. You command prompt should be open in path c:\Users\xxx. Now when you type cfp it will run it.But you didnt specify command for cfp so it will pop up help for cfp. There you can see all the different commands of cfp.
    1.2 Using cfp.exe
    You have your cfp ready. Lets start playing with it . Ok now, get cfp ready with command ''cfp info'' but dont hit it yet. Now connect pb to pc first and install all drivers necessary. When ready hit enter for cfp. This should turn off your pb and execute cfp. Cfp is possible to run only once(but you can open as many as you want), so after every command it gets disconnected from pb. I recommend you to open two instances of cfp. Both with the same command ready...so ''cfp info'' Now once you have hit enter for one of the instances of cfp it will read memory of pb and give you info about it. Once finished pb will try to start again. As soon as first instance of cfp is finished hit enter for second instance. And after that get ready first instance with command ''cfp info'' In this way, your pb will be trapped in loop and wont boot up as long as you are fast enough to run cfp straight after other cfp instance is run. Your pb wont have password at the beginning so it wont stop on password. Once you have password pb will stop on password for cfp and you dont have run more cfp's. This is very useful when you try to bypass upgrade to latest.This way you can check if your pb os is actually 4869/6149.
    2. 4869/6149 OS
    Link for 4869
    Link for 6149
    Both of this OS's are rootable by Dingleberry. Get both or one of them
    2.1 Setting up OS for cfp
    Well you will download rar file. You will have to unrar it. This will give you full OS. You only need core OS for now. So you find file with long name (largest file in the folder) and that will be xxx.bar. Unrar this file too and you should end up with file xxx.signed. Rename this file to either 4869.signed or 6149.signed. Now put OS files where you saved cfp.exe.
    3. Avoiding upgrade
    Now you can proceed with setting up you new pb. When you played with cfp, it showed you info of your pb. It also tells you version of OS. It should be 1.0 something. If it is higher that 2.0.0.6149 then you cant root If it is anything below you are fine and you can follow these steps:
    3.1 Use cfp to load downloaded OS 4869/6149.
    3.2 Command is ''cfp load 4869/6149.signed''
    3.3 This should take few minutes but then your pb is on 4869...but still need to avoid the upgrade.
    3.4 Now start you pb and go through the initial steps and also connect to wifi and allow your pb to upgrade. When it download OS wait until it installs it too.
    3.5 During download get your cfp ready. I recommend to open actually three instances of cfp. One with command ''cfp resetqnxosregion'', second and third with ''cfp info''.
    3.6 Of course have your pb connected to pc using usb cable Now be ready when it is installing the new OS.
    3.7 Have cfp with ''resetqnxosregion'' command ready. As soon as you see 10 second to restart window on your pb hit enter for cfp resetqnxosregion. Now this will reboot your pb and reset pb to 4869/6149. As soon as cfp is finished run ''cfp info'' and after that one another...During that short time quickly check if OS is actually 4869/6149. If yes let pb start, if not, quickly hit ''cfp resetqnxosregion'' again and again run ''cfp info''. If for any reason you still dont have OS 4869/6149 in info, you run ''cfp load 4869/6149.signed''. This should finally get you through.

Ok I hope everybody managed to do this correctly and his cfp info gives him pb on 4869/6149. If not Im sorry but I have done this already twice and successfully.
    Now with pb on rootable OS, all you do now is use Dingleberry to root, it is just one click away. Turn on Development mode, set up password and connect to pc. Dingle it and you are rooted.

I have to tell you also, only guy who can actually use root fully is xsacha. Advantage is you can have android market, themes, usb OTG(still buggy but soon should be stable), but there is much more disadvantage for now I think. xsacha will get new pb soon and will start combating these disadvantages, but yea, its up to you.
    If you have questions, ask!
    Thanked by 2:
    antiRIM (11-24-2012),  WeAreNotAlone (11-24-2012) 
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    70,567 Global Posts

All until you get to the end. Seems there is no reason to do it unless you want a buggy not useful device.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    Woopie Doopie we have em fun
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Well, I just provided guide, It is up to you guys if it is worthy. If you have two pb's, it is worthy, but if only one, I dont think it is worthy.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    70,567 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joannesbenedek View Post
    Well, I just provided guide, It is up to you guys if it is worthy. If you have two pb's, it is worthy, but if only one, I dont think it is worthy.
    I suppose some still want to do it and nice of you to provide a real good way to do it. Just seems to me there is no benefit to do so. So when you say android market are you saying you install android on top of pbOS and every android app will work without issue or there are still many android apps that just will not work?
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

No it is same as sideloading, so some apps work some dont, only advantage is you dont have sideload but you can download directly from play. But I have my pb rooted, and I dont want to loose it, I see advantage in that. But yea, it sometimes sucks.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

I personally wouldn't root mine just because the all ready known possibilities aren't worth it, but if your a programmer or just really smart then you could dig around the filesystem and pretty much do whatever you want.

Btw really good job this should be a sticky.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    All until you get to the end. Seems there is no reason to do it unless you want a buggy not useful device.
    You can remain rooted on the latest official software if you modify a file that xsacha had explained a while back which would remove the bugs.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    70,567 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by antiRIM View Post
    You can remain rooted on the latest official software if you modify a file that xsacha had explained a while back which would remove the bugs.
    Cool, so rooting is only for some maybe or maybe not future goodness?
    antiRIM likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

Q: Why are you posting in the ROOTING section if you see no benefit in rooting the device, nor are offering any constructive POINTERS or TIPS on doing the rooting procedure itself?

I suppose some still want to do it and nice of you to provide a real good way to do it. Just seems to me there is no benefit to do so. So when you say android market are you saying you install android on top of pbOS and every android app will work without issue or there are still many android apps that just will not work?
    I think you know the answer to the above questions, regardless if that is the case or not please notice the thread title: !!! Root for brand new pb's - Guide how to do it !!!

Please respect that there are persons with brand-new Playbooks that are looking for a (Current) Guide on HOW to root the device.
    (I have (3) Playbooks I'd like to root, all this stuff is new to me and the info is scattered across MULTIPLE threads...)

Should someone "root" or not?
    Debate all you want in the other threads about if you should root or not, and leave this thread for those that are looking for info on HOW to root the device CORRECTLY.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

I really appreciate you taking the time to do a GUIDE on the rooting procedure.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreNotAlone View Post
    Q: Why are you posting in the ROOTING section if you see no benefit in rooting the device, nor are offering any constructive POINTERS or TIPS on doing the rooting procedure itself?

I think you know the answer to the above questions, regardless if that is the case or not please notice the thread title: !!! Root for brand new pb's - Guide how to do it !!!

Please respect that there are persons with brand-new Playbooks that are looking for a (Current) Guide on HOW to root the device.
    (I have (3) Playbooks I'd like to root, all this stuff is new to me and the info is scattered across MULTIPLE threads...)

Debate all you want in the other threads about if you should root or not, and leave this thread for those that are looking for info on HOW to root the device CORRECTLY.

Chill lol, of all the people who present their feelings of root, he has been the most fair and considerate of others opinions, and we need people to show the downside of rooting to help equal out the bias of whether to or not to do it.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by antiRIM View Post
    Chill lol, of all the people who present their feelings of root, he has been the most fair and considerate of others opinions, and we need people to show the downside of rooting to help equal out the bias of whether to or not to do it.
    Point I was trying to make is to keep thread on topic.

EG: Tips and tricks, Questions pertaining to the actual rooting process itself.
    This said a short opening statement would be good explaining the pro's and cons.

kbz1960 likes this.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    70,567 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreNotAlone View Post

Well I was interested if there was anything new. From what I read in the past it wasn't for me to even consider. I see now nothing to consider yet.

I do respect that some want to do but also respect that some think it's going to make their pb an android.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

Please view below, above step by step guide with the mindset:
    The "guide" must be all inclusive to all user levels. This meaning someone who is not familiar with DOS command line apps would be able to successfully flash the device, and configure device so it doesn't auto update.
    *Additionally the device should be configured so if given to someone else- they can't update accidentally the unit without a password? being entered (If that is possible)

1: You are a newbie to everything that is RIM. PlayBook has never been connected to PC it will be rooted on.
    2: You are NOT familiar with the CFP.exe app
    3: You are not familiar with command line / DOS type apps.
    4: You only have (1) chance to perform the procedure.
    5: Considerations should be made for the NOS (New Old Stock) PlayBooks being sold having batteries in a discharged state.
    (Most anyone who is rooting at this point in time will be in this situation)

Post by xsacha , developer of Dingleberry 06-15-2012, 01:00 AM when asked if there was a "Rooting Guide" as there is no STICKY on the subject. Below being posted so methods can be compared, make sure steps match.

Subject
    PlayBook Step by step guide rooting guide:
    BlackBerry PlayBook 7inch 1st generation (1ghz)
    Author:
    xsacha , developer of Dingleberry
    Date of Guide 06-15-2012, 01:00 AM

First off you need CFP 3.9.0.165 and Firmware 2.0.0.4869 (extract the .signed file from the .bar)

Now,
    1. With Playbook connected via USB:
    cfp load 4869.signed
    2. Now boot it up and complete the set up that it wants to do.
    3. As soon as the set up says it will "restart in 10 seconds":
    cfp resetqnxosregion

Now you're on 4869 and can root

Do not let it boot up with latest firmware after completing setup under any circumstances (you will never be able to root!). The reset command puts it back on to 4869 for you.

Alternatively:
    1. Complete setup that it wants you to do.
    2. As soon as set up completed and says it will "restart in 10 seconds":
    cfp load 4869.signed

Remember: if the cfp command fails for any reason, do NOT let the device boot until you get cfp command working! It is easier to prevent issues using the first method which is why I put it first.

Last edited by xsacha; 06-15-2012 at 01:21 AM.

Suggestion:
    1: Add to guide file HASH values of files used. (MD5, CRC-32 SHA-1)
    2: In regards to step "3.7 Have cfp with ''resetqnxosregion'' command ready. As soon as you see 10 second to restart window on your pb hit enter for cfp resetqnxosregion."
    Add info on what to look for so you won't miss the above 10-second window.
    3:Edit/ Add ramifications of rooting to top of guide . (Short list of Pro's/Con's)

Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 11-25-2012 at 01:15 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

Q: Upon first connecting PlayBook to computer- Pop up box asks to install BlackBerry Desktop Manager on PC.

Is it necessary to install BlackBerry Desktop Manager on PC on host PC?

EDIT: Appears so, I selected "Setup.exe"... Install files which upon reconnecting seems to have disappeared.

Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 11-25-2012 at 03:43 PM.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,063 Global Posts

Let me summarize:

(1) The OP taked to xsacha (the guy who writes the rooting software) --- he just bricked his own Playbook and had to send it to RIM for RMA. That gives you an idea of ETA of dingleberry 4.
    (2) There is a history of the blind leading the blind in this rooting forum --- some of them has posted in this thread --- blindly posting rooting guides without knowing what they are talking about. Worst yet --- they haven't even tried to root their own Playbook.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Let me summarize:

(1) The OP taked to xsacha (the guy who writes the rooting software) --- he just bricked his own Playbook and had to send it to RIM for RMA. That gives you an idea of ETA of dingleberry 4.
    (2) There is a history of the blind leading the blind in this rooting forum --- some of them has posted in this thread --- blindly posting rooting guides without knowing what they are talking about. Worst yet --- they haven't even tried to root their own Playbook.
    I read xsacha had obtained a replacement.

On point #2, That is the impression I get also.... Hence why I'm asking for confirmation on the procedure to use.
    Can YOU confirm the above steps are correct?

I find it very disheartening that the old timers on this board can't cull what is fact from BS and create a guide.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

Old timers, please CONFIRM

07-05-2012, 09:26 AM
    How to use cfb to flash a new Playbook
    How to use cfb to flash a new Playbook

08-05-2012, 12:51 AM
    Let's get a list of CFP commands
    Let's get a list of CFP commands
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

Q: Will BlackBerry Device Manager app running in background screw up CFP.EXE during the rooting process?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

Let me summarize:

I can't tell if your just referring to me, or me and joannesbenedek but either way I think our intentions are the same, help people with the info we learned rather than having people put it together like a puzzle in about 25 different threads. I had one bad step, thats all it takes to screw something up. The info is all throughout the threads, which makes it difficult to put in step by step order. The "Samab-Approved-Adequately-Informed" to the"Under-Informed-In-Need-Of-Help" ratio simply isn't reasonable.

Anyway, for the NEXT TIME (which there will be)when you make a point about me, include my name, thanks.
    Thanked by:
    WeAreNotAlone (11-26-2012) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

Let me summarize:

(1)xsacha didnt brick his pb because of rooting or avoiding update to latest. He bricked it because he was playing with it and putting files from bb10 to pb firmware which screwed up his pb. ETA for Dingle 4, I would say it wont be soon...
    (2)Im not blind in this one, I have done the procedure and Im 100% sure it works, I can reproduce it anytime. All steps are correct.

I just answered question guys asked about how to root. I say my method is 100% safe, it is same as xsacha posted but mine is with more info. It has been proved it works too.
    I do not expect everyone to believe me though. Use it or dont, I dont care. I like having root, but it is not for everyone. My advice for guy who dont know how to use root. Dont root, you wont loose much. If it is only because of USB OTG- it is coming with bb10. It is already on bb10 for dev alpha/beta devices(though they dont have correct usb port which is sad )

And to you WeAreNotAlone...BBDM wont screw up cfp.exe
    BBDM uses cfp too, and when one instance is connected, other cant connect. So you can connec either with BBDM or cfp.exe.
    Thanked by:
    WeAreNotAlone (11-26-2012) 
    CrackBerry User

I dunno.....I just use my Playbook for web browsing and Lets Golf 2...when I am lazy or sick in bed....
    You guys have too much time on your hands........
    (just kidding.....just kidding!!)
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

I have problems to root my Playbook 16GB. Initially it had the OS Version 1.1.0.27246 (retrieved that information using cfp info).
    I prepared to dingle it using the method presented in Root for brand new pb's - Guide how to do it
    So I performed “cfp load 4869.signed”, and restarted the PB. Within the initial steps of the PB setup the WiFi interface was not available, so I performed “cfp load 6149.signed” and the PB rebooted again. Anyhow the WiFi interface was not available in this second processing of PB’s initial steps so I searched in this forum. There was the recommendation to perform cfp nuke to get the WiFi interface available.
    So I performed cfp nuke and I was able to perform the initial steps and WiFi attach in order to start to avoid the upgrade. I successfully performed cfp resetqnxosregion and verified that the correct OS version will be installed using cfp info. After this process the PB was initialized and started with OS 2.0.0.6149 (verified with cfp info and within BB OS).
    I tried to dingle it and prepared the PB accordingly (development mode with password, storage access authorization for WiFi and USB). Dingleberry 3.3.3 was not able to roll back the OS version to 4869, as the firmware download did not succeed. Therefore I placed qcfm.os.com.qnx.coreos.qcfm.os.sdk.4869.79475.sign ed.bar in the appropriate custom folder and selected core OS as target. But the firmware rollback had different error results: 2, 4, and 99.
    As this firmware rollback did not succeed I thought I could directly go to 4869 and performed cfp nuke, cfp load 4869.signed, cfp resetqnxosregion according to the description mentioned earlier.
    Currently my PB states that it has OS version 2.0.0.4869 (cfp info and within BB OS) and I tried to root it. I tried different versions of Dingleberry (3.3.3, 3.1.0, 3.02, 3.01) no version succeeded to root it. Version 3.3.3 keeps saying Jailbreak Failedand “sh: /tmp/setuigid: cannot execute - no such file or directory found”, other versions end with uploading the dingleberry.bbb.
    May I ask you if I did something wrong, was it an error to perform cfp nuke as it limits the PB in that way that it is not rroable anymore. What should I do to root this device?

Thanks for any help
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  

You should make sure Dingleberry logs into pb first, befor BBDM or you dont log in with BBDM at all. You should be able to dingle then. When if uploads dingleberry.bbb wait until its finished, you should get message your pb is rooted on your nb. If nothing works, you could try to root manually, but I guess you are new to this stuff and you are not a programmer. If nothing helps, sorry I cant help you. Wait for BB10 and maybe that one will get root too
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Hi guys, after reading few posts I decided to answer you and give you the most detailed guide how to get rooted brand new pb with all necessary tools.

What we need:
    Playbook, Dingleberry, cfp, 4869 or 6149 os, usb cable.

How to proceed:
    1. The most important thing is to get familiar with cfp. The thing is I cant give you link so you have to find it, but google should do the job, and I found like tons of different cfp's so dont worry about it, just google.
    1.1 Set up cfp.exe.
    Once you have cfp ready (Im on win7 so I give guide to this os) save it in ''C:\users\xxx(your pc name). Then press ctrl + r and type in ''cmd''. This will open command prompt. You command prompt should be open in path c:\Users\xxx. Now when you type cfp it will run it.But you didnt specify command for cfp so it will pop up help for cfp. There you can see all the different commands of cfp.
    1.2 Using cfp.exe
    You have your cfp ready. Lets start playing with it . Ok now, get cfp ready with command ''cfp info'' but dont hit it yet. Now connect pb to pc first and install all drivers necessary. When ready hit enter for cfp. This should turn off your pb and execute cfp. Cfp is possible to run only once(but you can open as many as you want), so after every command it gets disconnected from pb. I recommend you to open two instances of cfp. Both with the same command ready...so ''cfp info'' Now once you have hit enter for one of the instances of cfp it will read memory of pb and give you info about it. Once finished pb will try to start again. As soon as first instance of cfp is finished hit enter for second instance. And after that get ready first instance with command ''cfp info'' In this way, your pb will be trapped in loop and wont boot up as long as you are fast enough to run cfp straight after other cfp instance is run. Your pb wont have password at the beginning so it wont stop on password. Once you have password pb will stop on password for cfp and you dont have run more cfp's. This is very useful when you try to bypass upgrade to latest.This way you can check if your pb os is actually 4869/6149.
    2. 4869/6149 OS
    Link for 4869
    Link for 6149
    Both of this OS's are rootable by Dingleberry. Get both or one of them
    2.1 Setting up OS for cfp
    Well you will download rar file. You will have to unrar it. This will give you full OS. You only need core OS for now. So you find file with long name (largest file in the folder) and that will be xxx.bar. Unrar this file too and you should end up with file xxx.signed. Rename this file to either 4869.signed or 6149.signed. Now put OS files where you saved cfp.exe.
    3. Avoiding upgrade
    Now you can proceed with setting up you new pb. When you played with cfp, it showed you info of your pb. It also tells you version of OS. It should be 1.0 something. If it is higher that 2.0.0.6149 then you cant root If it is anything below you are fine and you can follow these steps:
    3.1 Use cfp to load downloaded OS 4869/6149.
    3.2 Command is ''cfp load 4869/6149.signed''
    3.3 This should take few minutes but then your pb is on 4869...but still need to avoid the upgrade.
    3.4 Now start you pb and go through the initial steps and also connect to wifi and allow your pb to upgrade. When it download OS wait until it installs it too.
    3.5 During download get your cfp ready. I recommend to open actually three instances of cfp. One with command ''cfp resetqnxosregion'', second and third with ''cfp info''.
    3.6 Of course have your pb connected to pc using usb cable Now be ready when it is installing the new OS.
    3.7 Have cfp with ''resetqnxosregion'' command ready. As soon as you see 10 second to restart window on your pb hit enter for cfp resetqnxosregion. Now this will reboot your pb and reset pb to 4869/6149. As soon as cfp is finished run ''cfp info'' and after that one another...During that short time quickly check if OS is actually 4869/6149. If yes let pb start, if not, quickly hit ''cfp resetqnxosregion'' again and again run ''cfp info''. If for any reason you still dont have OS 4869/6149 in info, you run ''cfp load 4869/6149.signed''. This should finally get you through.

Ok I hope everybody managed to do this correctly and his cfp info gives him pb on 4869/6149. If not Im sorry but I have done this already twice and successfully.
    Now with pb on rootable OS, all you do now is use Dingleberry to root, it is just one click away. Turn on Development mode, set up password and connect to pc. Dingle it and you are rooted.

I have to tell you also, only guy who can actually use root fully is xsacha. Advantage is you can have android market, themes, usb OTG(still buggy but soon should be stable), but there is much more disadvantage for now I think. xsacha will get new pb soon and will start combating these disadvantages, but yea, its up to you.
    If you have questions, ask!
    hi.nice guide.will this work with version 2.1.0.1526 for the blackberry playbook? will i be able to downgrade this one so i can root(jailbreak) it.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast