Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Ready to setup brand new PB... Is it possible to not accept auto upgrades to latest version?

From reading, it appears that once you upgrade past a certain OS version, you can't go back, and thus can't root. I've also read that most devices ship with 1.0.0.0, but that setup will automatically "force" me into upgrading past 2.0.0.4869 (or whatever is the correct OS version that allows rooting). Do I have this right? And if so, is there a way to manually intevene to disallow these automatic upgrades? Thanks much, -Ani
    CrackBerry User

Default Re: Ready to setup brand new PB... Is it possible to not accept auto upgrades to latest version?

Yes it is possible to prevent from upgrading to the latest OS. First you need to download 4869 OS. Unzip it and find file ''qcfm.os.com.qnx.coreos.qcfm.os.sdk.4869.79475.si gned.bar''. You will have to again unzip(unrar) this file and you get the file with ending singed only(rename it to 4869.signed-it is easier then to use it). Then you need to find program called ''cfp''. When you have all of this follow this steps:

1. run cfp command: ''cfp load 4869.signed'' (this should load 4869 OS to your pb)
    2. pb will start and you will have to go through set up. Do it.
    3. If you get wifi bug-if you cant see any wifi networks you need to do: ''cfp nuke''
    4. Now you should see wifi networks.
    5. You let pb to download latest OS and also you let it to install.
    6. While latest OS is being installed get you cfp ready with command: ''cfp resetqnxosregion'' but dont run it yet.
    7. When latest OS is installed it will pop up restart button and your pb will restart in 10 sec.(do no restart your pb...follow to step 8)
    8. This is most important step as you have to run that command from step 6 in this 10 sec window.
    9. Now your pb should just turn off and cfp should run that command.
    10. If for any reason you miss this window or cfp didnt work..well you will load with latest. I advise you first to get familiar with cfp and try command resetqnxosregion before you let pb to download latest OS. You should get message like ''QNX OS REGION NVRAM is cleared''. If all goes ok you ill start pb with 4869 which is rootable.

Also you will probably start with only browser so you need to sideload apps. From that file you downloaded first( that is 4869.rar), you will see also other files which are apps. You can sideload all of them to your pb. Then you should have 4869 with apps and root(use Dingleberry 3.3.3 for that)

I am currently working on getting latest OS running with root. When I finish it I will post method how to do it. Though first you need to be on 4869 rooted.

Good luck.
    Thanked by 2:
    antiRIM (11-16-2012),  WeAreNotAlone (11-16-2012) 
    antiRIM and WeAreNotAlone like this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,063 Global Posts

Default Re: Ready to setup brand new PB... Is it possible to not accept auto upgrades to latest version?

Quote Originally Posted by anitajj View Post
    From reading, it appears that once you upgrade past a certain OS version, you can't go back, and thus can't root. I've also read that most devices ship with 1.0.0.0, but that setup will automatically "force" me into upgrading past 2.0.0.4869 (or whatever is the correct OS version that allows rooting). Do I have this right? And if so, is there a way to manually intevene to disallow these automatic upgrades? Thanks much, -Ani
    Before you do anything, you should ask --- what can a rooted Playbook do?

(1) a rooted Playbook doesn't give you more Android apps --- if an Android app doesn't run on a non-rooted Playbook, the same app won't run on a rooted Playbook
    (2) a rooted Playbook gives you the ability to theme your Playbook
    (3) a rooted Playbook gives you a pre-beta (buggy) access to USB host

Is having access to the above benefits worth it to you?
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Thanks Joannesbenedek. That's an extremely detailed and helpful explanation... I will study it carefully before I do anything.
    - Ani
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Thanks Samad for bringing up the million dollar question: What bother to root anyway. As a brand newbie, I flail about at the edges of this whole new world trying to get some clarity on that answer. Given there is a whole forum section devoted to the topic, I can't help but think there's some REALLY important reasons besides "it's just fun". Your question and 3 part answer are a VERY helpful summary of the benefits (and risks). Before I actually TRY to root, I will think it through. But I hate to rule out all possibility by blindly marching along with the automatic setup process.

Your (1) says no more Androit apps, and (2) ability to "theme" your PB. No, I don't care about either of those. (3) you say you have access to a pre-beta buggy access to USB host. I will have to study up on what functionality you are afforded by this USB host. Are we talking about the ability to use a USB thumb drive, external harddrive or USB keyboard? That DOES interest me. ... Many thanks, and more study ahead for me.
    - Ani

Global Posts
    10,411 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

It is nice to be able to install Google Play, but IMO the bridge updates and native PIM are more useful than any features you get from rooting.
    CrackBerry User

Well, if you root, you can unroot too if you dont like it. USB is working as USB OTG and yes, HDD, usb sticks, keyboards, they all work, though HDD needs external power (I used for AA batteries :P). Also as I mentioned, it is possible to have root on latest with all features, though I havent finished it yet. But Im close (but dont have much time). So if you wait, maybe you can be on latest rooted (But you need to be first on 4869 rooted, then do the latest)
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,063 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joannesbenedek View Post
    Well, if you root, you can unroot too if you dont like it. USB is working as USB OTG and yes, HDD, usb sticks, keyboards, they all work, though HDD needs external power (I used for AA batteries :P). Also as I mentioned, it is possible to have root on latest with all features, though I havent finished it yet. But Im close (but dont have much time). So if you wait, maybe you can be on latest rooted (But you need to be first on 4869 rooted, then do the latest)
    Oh, please --- don't exaggerate your technical expertise. A quick search of this forum would show that you are a mere script kiddie asking for the most basic technical questions as late as 2 months ago.
    CrackBerry Genius

Would be very careful about usiung the USB feature with a rooted Playbook..... I did it couple of times as I like to "play" and I had USB sticks to spare.... good thing as I fried 4 of them..... good quality sticks so must be something with the Playbook or cable... the other thing I noticed was that when it did work... I had a lot of corrupt files of files that just went missing.... One stick worked great till I plugged it into my computer and then no go......
    I think the point is unless RIM had everything actually in place to actually "properly" setup in the OS.... I for one would not want to use something that is not terribly reliable....
    CrackBerry User

Why are you so bad on people? Im just trying to help. And maybe Im not that good at this stuff as you, but Im learning. And I do not lie about possibility of being rooted on latest.
    V22 likes this.

Global Posts
    10,411 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

... Also as I mentioned, it is possible to have root on latest with all features, though I havent finished it yet. But Im close (but dont have much time)...
    How are you planning on accomplishing this? I'd be interested in knowing.
    CrackBerry User

When I bought my pb, it was on 1.0 but as you know, it asks for update. So I followed steps made by xsacha, I used cfp resetqnxosregion. But pb has more partitions, and in one there was 4869 which I loaded and in other is latest OS which was downloaded at the setup. So when I was rooted on 4869, I could use program ''dd'' which can copy raw data from partition you want. So I just used it to get latest( in my case it is the newest 1032). It extract binary of OS from that partition and I named it ''latest.bin''. Pb is unix based so it can mount bin files. So I mounted this latest.bin to my pb. So I saw what is inside. Well then you can do whatever you want, so I found file( well I have to say I was guided by xsacha a lot, he told me what file to look for and so on) blacklist.pyc. This is compiled python source code. I dont have linux, so xsacha decompiled it for me. I could then erase line where it was writing into NVRAM blacklist thingy for OS. I then compiled it into .pyc file again and replaced it. Then I unmounted ''latest.bin'' which is now OS which doesnt blacklist any OS. So I can load it and still I can downgrade to 4869 or anything else. So this is part one

Second part is to get it running on pb. Because I changed the latest.bin file, it is not signed by RIM anymore, so I cant just load it using cfp. Maybe I could use ''cfp write'' but it wont work probably and then I would have to put some backdoor into that latest.bin to gain root. But I was told I can kind of shutdown pb, without actually shutting it down (I stop some services) and then I mount this latest.bin over the /base (this is directory where the current 4869 OS is loaded and from there pb starts). So now i have latest.bin mounted on /base, I have to start pb again( that services I have shut down) When pb starts, it is on latest but still with root as shutdown wasnt proper. The thing Im stuck on is which services to stop and start. For all this second part, I need to write scripts (actually I can use scripts pb uses to start and shutdown and adjust them).
    So far I was able to load everything but something isnt working right as I dont have bezzels working and also touchscreen isnt responding. Buttons work, also I see clock go. I cant go to settings if I am actaully on latest or it didnt load correctly. I can post startup and shutdown scripts from the 1032 if anyone wants them. I can upload whole latest.bin . But you need to mount it to qnx6 partition, which pb has so it is easier to just mount it for me to pb.

Thats it. Only disadvantage of this is, that pb has to first start on 4869 and then start the latest.bin, so boot time will be higher than if I was normally on latest. But I will have root.
    I hope everything was clear. And I have to say, yes I'm kiddie asking for basic questions but well I have to start somewhere. Also most of what I have done is xsacha's work.
    Thanked by:
    WeAreNotAlone (11-16-2012) 
    WeAreNotAlone likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Awesome stuff mate! Thanks for sharing
    Helaruwan Wickremasinghe
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Quote Originally Posted by SCrid2000 View Post
    It is nice to be able to install Google Play, but IMO the bridge updates and native PIM are more useful than any features you get from rooting.
    thanks for adding this. In the end, I accepted all the updates, so rooting is out of the question, it would seem, and as I read more on this forum, it seems to be quite a fragile process. I'll still with what comes without rooting...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Oh, please --- don't exaggerate your technical expertise. A quick search of this forum would show that you are a mere script kiddie asking for the most basic technical questions as late as 2 months ago.
    what the heck is wrong with you?
    a quick search of your posts in this forum will also show that you like to insult
    forum members in a way like someone who is pi%%ing down from a horse.

stop abusing this forum as your personal anger management!

Damian
    V22 likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,063 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anvil2k12 View Post
    what the heck is wrong with you?
    a quick search of your posts in this forum will also show that you like to insult
    forum members in a way like someone who is pi%%ing down from a horse.

stop abusing this forum as your personal anger management!

Damian
    What the heck is wrong with all the newbies with tens of postings pretending to be technical experts?

Old timers like SCrid2000 with actual technical knowledge are giving out very sound and useful technical advice --- and the OP is taking the old timer's advice. This isn't a pi%%ing contest --- it is all about giving useful advice to other fellow crackberry members.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    What the heck is wrong with all the newbies with tens of postings pretending to be technical experts?...
    samab, you are absolutely right on that point!

however, one of them has recently taken almost 18000 views by pretending so -
    Successfully Rooted Playbook OS 2.1.0.560

despite OP's first posts already indicated that he has no idea of basics and he is
    not willing (i.e. able) to share any knowledge, most well known experts and authors
    including xsascha dignified this blabla with a positive response.
    some of them even tried the given 'advice' and wiped their PB for the worse.

what's maybe good for the CB's site all time record damaged their reputation
    and deserved your harsh words because in a 'should known it better' aspect
    much more.

so, be more gentle with the newbies or maybies, they at least don't know it better

kindest regards
    Damian
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

Yes it is possible to prevent from upgrading to the latest OS. First you need to download 4869 OS. Unzip it and find file ''qcfm.os.com.qnx.coreos.qcfm.os.sdk.4869.79475.si gned.bar''. You will have to again unzip(unrar) this file and you get the file with ending singed only(rename it to 4869.signed-it is easier then to use it). Then you need to find program called ''cfp''. When you have all of this follow this steps:

1. run cfp command: ''cfp load 4869.signed'' (this should load 4869 OS to your pb)
    2. pb will start and you will have to go through set up. Do it.
    3. If you get wifi bug-if you cant see any wifi networks you need to do: ''cfp nuke''
    4. Now you should see wifi networks.
    5. You let pb to download latest OS and also you let it to install.
    6. While latest OS is being installed get you cfp ready with command: ''cfp resetqnxosregion'' but dont run it yet.
    7. When latest OS is installed it will pop up restart button and your pb will restart in 10 sec.(do no restart your pb...follow to step 8)
    8. This is most important step as you have to run that command from step 6 in this 10 sec window.
    9. Now your pb should just turn off and cfp should run that command.
    10. If for any reason you miss this window or cfp didnt work..well you will load with latest. I advise you first to get familiar with cfp and try command resetqnxosregion before you let pb to download latest OS. You should get message like ''QNX OS REGION NVRAM is cleared''. If all goes ok you ill start pb with 4869 which is rootable.

Also you will probably start with only browser so you need to sideload apps. From that file you downloaded first( that is 4869.rar), you will see also other files which are apps. You can sideload all of them to your pb. Then you should have 4869 with apps and root(use Dingleberry 3.3.3 for that)

I am currently working on getting latest OS running with root. When I finish it I will post method how to do it. Though first you need to be on 4869 rooted.

Good luck.
    Figured I'd let you know, this method was said to work better then the one I had posted in another thread, so I deleted mine and just put a link to here.

Anyways heres the link in case you want it:

Idiots Guide to rooting a new Playbook?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by antiRIM View Post
    Figured I'd let you know, this method was said to work better then the one I had posted in another thread, so I deleted mine and just put a link to here.

Anyways heres the link in case you want it:

Idiots Guide to rooting a new Playbook?
    What is the difference of the (2) methods?

(Sort of wished you hadn't deleted the text of your post on the subject, but instead had put in big BOLD print: "WARNING DON"T USE THIS METHOD! - As of 2012-11-16 Use updated info info below -see link" type edit.
    Ready to setup brand new PB... Is it possible to not accept auto upgrades to latest version?
    Deleting the post as you did sort of messes up that thread... EG: People saying procedure didn't work.)

PS: Is there a sticky on this subject?

Net search results in posts from a year ago +/-, my concern being old posts may contain outdated info. As from what I've read you only have (1) shot to do the procedure so this conflicting info is troubling.

Q: For those of you who have a zip or rar of 2.0.0.4869, which is the file you're supposed to use. WHAT IS THE HASH VALUE OF THE RAR/ZIP that was used successfully?
    (PM me if you prefer)
    I want to make sure the file is not corrupt /has had something added to it, only via comparing Hash values can such be confirmed. I'm seeing different hash values for the file(s) I found, one being a rar, the other a zip... so of course they're going to have a different hash value..

HashTab for Windows, Mac: HashTab tool to quickly find file hash information
    FREE for non-commercial use, no ads or spyware.

Description:
    HashTab provides OS extensions to calculate file hashes and supports many hash algorithms such as MD5, SHA1, SHA2, RipeMD, HAVAL and Whirlpool. As Windows desktop software HashTab runs as a Windows shell extension and on the Mac it is implemented as a Finder plugin. Hashtab provides an easy way to verify file integrity and authenticity.

HashTab -direct download via SoftPedia : Download HashTab 5.0.0 Free - A shell extension that installs a new tab with file hash information - Softpedia

Ready to setup brand new PB... Is it possible to not accept auto upgrades to latest version?-hash2.png
    Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 11-16-2012 at 10:34 PM. Reason: .
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

WARNING ! As of 2012-11-16 do not use the below method!
    So this is the OLD METHOD?

Date: 2012-09-19
    BB playbook rooting

Yes it is possible to root a BRAND NEW playbook.

Steps are as follows.

1. Buy a playbook.
    2. Download cfp.exe here Download links for cfpv3.9.0.165.rar - Mirrorcreator - Upload files to multiple hosts
    3. Unzip the file and install cfp.exe on your DESKTOP <-- Important
    4. Open search and type in "cmd.exe" cmd is the computers command prompt.
    5. Once it cmd.exe opens type in "cd desktop"
    6. Then type cfp.exe
    7. Turn on the playbook and go through the setup process with PB connected via usb to computer.
    8. Your playbook will have to update to finish ****IT'S OK**** AS SOON AS THE UPDATE IS DOWNLOADED IT WILL SAY " restarting in 10 seconds" this is when you need to type into cfp "cfp resetqnxosregion".
    9. Once PB boots, you should be running OS 1.0, so you will want to use dingleberry to load OS 2.0.0.4869.
    10. Find a link and download.
    11. Place in dingleberry download folder.
    12. Install.
    13. Use dingleberry to root.
    14. ENJOY
    Thanked by:
    antiRIM (11-16-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

Yes its the old one. The only difference is, he flashes OS 2.0.0.4869 before using the command "cfp resetqnxosregion". I don't believe it would make a difference, but it does make sense that you "reset" onto .4869 and not 1.0 using his method. As many said in that thread, you need to make things (instructions) clear as #### or people will get confused and mess up. This is why I deleted my post, to prevent further confusion.

I am almost certain that it would work either way, but others disagree, so just in case, I would use his method.

Oh and with the zip/rar of 2.0.0.4869, you need to download OS 2.0.0.4869 and rename it and add ".zip" to the end. Then right click the file and extract. Once it does that you should see a few files and the something along the lines of 2.0.0.4869blahblahblah.signed <----- that is the file you need to use.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

Yes its the old one. The only difference is, he flashes OS 2.0.0.4869 before using the command "cfp resetqnxosregion". I don't believe it would make a difference, but it does make sense that you "reset" onto .4869 and not 1.0 using his method. As many said in that thread, you need to make things (instructions) clear as #### or people will get confused and mess up. This is why I deleted my post, to prevent further confusion.
    ~snip~
    There needs to be a STICKY ON THE PROPER METHOD TO USE.

Wish xsacha developer of Dingleberry, PB Connect, Sachup and other Qt apps. Porter of Bubble Kid, Qupzilla, Dukto, Wesnoth and other apps would create a walk-thru. (Or link to a verified method)

Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 11-16-2012 at 11:57 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

I am almost certain that it would work either way, but others disagree, so just in case, I would use his method.

Oh and with the zip/rar of 2.0.0.4869, you need to download OS 2.0.0.4869 and rename it and add ".zip" to the end. Then right click the file and extract. Once it does that you should see a few files and the something along the lines of 2.0.0.4869blahblahblah.signed <----- that is the file you need to use.
    Files were already in rar, and zip format. They extracted just fine. My concern is files being tampered with in some way -or archive having some key files "missing". (Some companies it's rumored will post corrupted files).

2.0.0.4869.rar Archive extracts to a folder:
    525,186,855 bytes
    60 files..

The zip extracts to 64 files (one being a plain text file giving link to Blackberry site)

The only file that has 4869 in both archives is below-which I assume is the OS due to it's size:
    qcfm.os.com.qnx.coreos.qcfm.os.sdk.4869.79475.sign ed.bar
    CRC32: 9002F1EA
    MD5: 59D2EBF19AD2A28C04FECA37CAAC79CA
    SHA-1: 1E4EAD9C8BFF8C4A9ADF526DCA95BA69CF686B0A

Do me a favor and check yours and see if you get the same hash value.
    Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 11-17-2012 at 12:00 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

This is where people like me are trying to help out. There are little pieces of info throughout the rooting forum and not a general "how to", and therefore it makes it difficult to understand what order the steps go in. I have gone through all of it and tried to make a simple and straightforward list of what to do (not easy) and I got mixed up on the fact that you load 2.0.0.4869 before and not after the command.

WE REALLY NEED A STICKY TO HELP OUT IF ANY MODS ARE READING THIS.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreNotAlone View Post
    Files were already in rar, and zip format. They extracted just fine. My concern is files being tampered with in some way -or archive having some key files "missing". (Some companies it's rumored will post corrupted files).

qcfm.os.com.qnx.coreos.qcfm.os.sdk.4869.79475.sign ed.bar
    CRC32: 9002F1EA
    MD5: 59D2EBF19AD2A28C04FECA37CAAC79CA
    SHA-1: 1E4EAD9C8BFF8C4A9ADF526DCA95BA69CF686B0A
    Your probably best off asking xsacha, I don't have any knowledge on this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast