CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default One last rooting questions before diving in

just a quick last minute question before i dive in. If i root my pb with dingleberry will i be able to load the new official OS2 when it gets released? Basically can i "unroot" when the official comes out? thanks in advance
    CrackBerry Genius

No need to unroot. You can receive any updates.
    Developer of PPSSPP, ReQognise, Dingleberry, PB Connect, Sachesi, Sachup + Sachibar and other Qt apps. Porter of many opensource Qt apps.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

thanks for the update! if for some reason i would want to unroot though, would a security wipe do the trick?
    CrackBerry User

No. I've wiped mine, and the root stayed with it. Or maybe i am delusional...
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by LukeRoz View Post
    thanks for the update! if for some reason i would want to unroot though, would a security wipe do the trick?
    You are unrooted on each successful reboot. It is only through modification of a user file that the root is recovered after a reboot (by connecting USB to computer with Developer Mode on). This method no longer works in 7111 hence making you unrooted in 7111.
    There's no need to wipe.
    If you want to remove the file, it's easier removing it manually -- although it causes no issues. Wipes are a PITA.
    Developer of PPSSPP, ReQognise, Dingleberry, PB Connect, Sachesi, Sachup + Sachibar and other Qt apps. Porter of many opensource Qt apps.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I have a playbook that was rooted with Dingleberry but before the next software release I am looking to unroot. I am using the 2.0.0.4869 OS version and am aware that a restore will not unroot. Any suggestions on how to unroot before the next software release from BB?
    CrackBerry User

same here
    please someone help mee
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

If you want to permanently remove root, then you should just be able to install the official software.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LukeRoz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by antiRIM View Post
    If you want to permanently remove root, then you should just be able to install the official software.
    ? Typo?

Shouldn't it say?

If you want to permanently remove the root, just update via the official update process.
    (As of 2012-11 official update process will flash v 2.1.0.1088 to the device)

OR is there something that needs to be restored -prior to such?
    (Please state what needs to be restored - I'm assuming you need to restore "A User file" mentioned below?)

Quote Originally Posted by xsacha View Post
    You are unrooted on each successful reboot. It is only through modification of a user file that the root is recovered after a reboot (by connecting USB to computer with Developer Mode on). This method no longer works in 7111 hence making you unrooted in 7111.
    There's no need to wipe.
    If you want to remove the file, it's easier removing it manually -- although it causes no issues. Wipes are a PITA.