Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default New Playbook Theme

While many, much more capable folks, are focusing on what can be done with a rooted playbook long term, and how to keep it rooted, I took this change to take a look at how i can change the look and feel of the playbook. Much like the themes on the BlackBerry devices, I took to changing the icons and wallpaper on my Playbook. I have also started looking at replacing all of the startup screens for each of the applications. I dont create my own icons so i got alot from deviantart. A good thread to look in would be here .

Without further ado, here is my "themed" playbook so far
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...g00000002l.jpg
    Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 12-16-2011 at 10:57 AM. Reason: incorrect link. Thank you maxrdlf
    ~S_A
    All views and opinions here are my own, and do not represent any views, opinions, or official communications either actual or implied of my employer.
    Thanked by 2:
    Alt-F4 (12-19-2011),  Paul Ngo (12-12-2012) 
    zeldras, SPNKr, bldshd and 5 others like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    PM Me

Not Found :S
    smuook likes this.
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Fixed link. Thank you
    ~S_A
    All views and opinions here are my own, and do not represent any views, opinions, or official communications either actual or implied of my employer.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

That's a good start... nice job. Hopefully, theming will gain momentum more of the UI will be customized as well.
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

I can see to replace fonts and loading screens for apps as well. Problem is its rather a pain to do it. I am going to keep tinkering to see what else i can mess up change
    ~S_A
    Thanked by:
    adhen (12-25-2011) 
    dunlapj likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    PM me

Well done, Looking great!
    follow my switch from iOS to BlackBerry: http://canadianthomas.wordpress.com/
    CrackBerry Newbie

great job !!! But i think u should not use icon same same Apple ^^! don't try to make Playbook become Ipad or anythink!! Playbook just is BB and i think BB not bad and many many icon stylis to use...
    Just my ideal but its really really kool
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    775 Global Posts

cool cant wait to root my pb
    8330, 9000, 9780
    CrackBerry Abuser

Your post is the second one that leans me toward rooting... lol i wana custom theme this badboy badly... i have a second playbook now so i think its time lol great post man! oh

For anyone curious the first thing i saw that made me want to root was actually a youtube video of a guy able to get data off a usb thumb drive through the pb usb port

but what i been waiting for was a way to change themes!! keep us updated on other ui changes your able to do! also maybee doing this is super easy but u should think about making a tutorial on where the files are ? maybee its obvious heh i need to root now!
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

let me see what all can be changed theme wise and i will definitely get that tutorial up
    ~S_A
    Alt-F4 likes this.
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    ~S_A
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
    let me see what all can be changed theme wise and i will definitely get that tutorial up
    Awesome man! I put os2 on my 16gb pb.. gonna root it tonight i think and mess around but what Im really curious about is can you apply a new icon to folders ? im gonna guess no as the default folder changes a bit everytime u drag a new icon into it? I havent played with os2 much yet but let me know if u have tried this
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

there are many protected icons that cant be changed (at least with my limited knowledge) yet. they are listed as read only system files. but once those can be edited, any icon can be changed.
    ~S_A
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    26c77e5b

i didn't want to root my playbook until i saw this and the post that talk about usb
    thx guys to make my playbook better than my ipad2 (anyway it was already better)
    let me know (if you can) the link to root my playbook . i'm with beta 2.x.x.6... (i know i must downgrade before but i'm afraid to root (never did it) but i want it.

nice job guys .
    Pearl 8100 --->Storm 9530--->Torch 9800 + PlayBook 16g & Ipad2 16g
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

You can try [HOW-TO] Start to finish root, install android market

Also i posted a quick step by step guide in this same subforum that includes links to two good rooting instructional posts.
    ~S_A
    Thanked by:
    ravageur1972 (12-20-2011) 
    ravageur1972 likes this.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    26c77e5b

ok thx i will check this as soon as i'm at home (i'm at work and boss check me loll)
    i will tell you what i'll do and if it's working
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    26c77e5b

yeahhhhh i did it yesterday like i said
    work about 3 hours because some error in the post and some others create by me but i finally have my playbook root and android market full functionnal

simple question : can i update with ok 2.0.x.6xxx ????? (i'm os 2.x.x.4xxx)
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    929 Global Posts

edit: nevermind, i figured out how to do it
    Last edited by Juggalo20; 12-25-2011 at 03:13 PM.
    BlackBerry pulls the plug on themes: https://twitter.com/#!/BlackBerryDev...73487468920834 :< need to rally the troops and convince RIM we want themes on BB10!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    929 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ravageur1972 View Post
    yeahhhhh i did it yesterday like i said
    work about 3 hours because some error in the post and some others create by me but i finally have my playbook root and android market full functionnal

simple question : can i update with ok 2.0.x.6xxx ????? (i'm os 2.x.x.4xxx)
    yes, you will need to reinstall the Android market though (follow the exact same steps for the market part, copy the /system folder from the GApps. remove that one bad .apk)
    BlackBerry pulls the plug on themes: https://twitter.com/#!/BlackBerryDev...73487468920834 :< need to rally the troops and convince RIM we want themes on BB10!
    Thanked by:
    ravageur1972 (12-26-2011) 
    ravageur1972 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

I can't wait to see themes be released soon.
    Awesome look and feel, matrix and tron like looks awesome.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    929 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rootbrian View Post
    I can't wait to see themes be released soon.
    Awesome look and feel, matrix and tron like looks awesome.
    I'm curious if we'll ever (officially) get themes for BB10. I haven't looked a whole lot into it (cuz I lack skill to make nice icons). But changing an icon requires reboot (unless there's some binary for updating the icons that I haven't found yet). Also, the only app icons I've found so far are within the app it's self, so... A theme switcher would need to detect current theme name, rename the icon in use accordingly, rename the desired theme icon to the default icon name, or something along those lines. I'm sure those are the icons in use because I screwed with the app world one.

Hopefully RIM works something out though. I love themes
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Nicee Theeme

Greatt Tut mate, its kinda tricky but after a couple icons u get the hang of it.. Tell me what u think of my playbook theme soo far cheers

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
    JaylieG likes this.
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

Quote Originally Posted by RaheelDude View Post
    Greatt Tut mate, its kinda tricky but after a couple icons u get the hang of it.. Tell me what u think of my playbook theme soo far cheers

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
    Looks very nice. I like the background for the icons. Makes them stand out a bit from the playbook background
    ~S_A
    Thanked by:
    RaheelDude (12-30-2011) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

Cheers for the feedback mate,, Is there anyway you could change the booting screen ? :P
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    me down baby!

Nokia ?? -> SE W580i -> BB 8320 -> BB 9800 -> BB Z10 ->Z30
    sbmd likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast