Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Need Some Rooting Clarification

I've heard about the CFP exploit to bypass the update on setup. I'm currently on the lastest firmware (2.1.0.1088) and was wondering if I were to perform a security wipe and go through the setup with CFP would it still work? Or would I be put back to the same firmware? Also, how about restoring to factory setting on BlackBerry Desktop Software would that it make it possible for the CFP exploit. So yeah I'm on current firmware someone enlighten me please.

Thanks,
    Oneontree
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: Need Some Rooting Clarification

your os version is too high to utilise the cfp exploit, and there appears to be no way to downgrade it either. sorry.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oneontree View Post
    I've heard about the CFP exploit to bypass the update on setup. I'm currently on the lastest firmware (2.1.0.1088) and was wondering if I were to perform a security wipe and go through the setup with CFP would it still work? Or would I be put back to the same firmware? Also, how about restoring to factory setting on BlackBerry Desktop Software would that it make it possible for the CFP exploit. So yeah I'm on current firmware someone enlighten me please.

Thanks,
    Oneontree
    Answer is NO, unless you run the CFP app upon first boot, (or have a unit that hasn't been connected to the net for the past 6-7?+? months) unit will auto-update and won't be rootable. (Current PS OS v2.1.0.1088)

Will there ever be a way to "root" a PlayBook running PS OS v2.1.0.1088 + ?
    My impression is there is (1) guy here (xsacha) who might be able to do it, given the time vs say hundreds if not thousands of persons familiar with modding Android OS powered devices, so best guess would be NO. Rooting a PlayBook once it's running 2.1 is a dead duck.

(What is really sad is if there had been a "Sticky" more people would have rooted, which increases the numbers of persons who grow into Super-Modders (xsacha) for a lack of a better word. As it stands now there's like (1) guy (xsacha) here on this board that knows QNX OS inside and out.... Maybe a handful of people around the world.)

I had planned to root, but decided against it due to frankly the lack of activity in this section of the board.
    Seems like it is a simple process (I have modded many devices in my time) but was extremely put off with there not being a "Official" "sticky (Walkthru) outlining the rooting process.

"Sticky"= Procedure is in a walk-thru format - it is assumed person has NO knowledge of process. The "Sticky" is UPDATED with NEW INFO as it comes out, it is "fine-tuned"... Tells what to watch out for. Using the "Sticky" you are assured of the procedure being reviewed by long time members of the board, vs using info in scattered posts here and there in which skill level of poster is unknown, or is "cryptic" in nature.

Best "rooting" info in below links for those who may run across this post BTW:

Root for brand new pb's - Guide how to do it
    How do you bypass forced non-root friendly 2.1.OS update, and ROOT a new, never powered on PlayBook?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreNotAlone View Post
    (What is really sad is if there had been a "Sticky" more people would have rooted, which increases the numbers of persons who grow into Super-Modders (xsacha) for a lack of a better word. As it stands now there's like (1) guy (xsacha) here on this board that knows QNX OS inside and out.... Maybe a handful of people around the world.)

I had planned to root, but decided against it due to frankly the lack of activity in this section of the board.
    Seems like it is a simple process (I have modded many devices in my time)
    I've seen you post many times about there being a 'sticky' on this (and with a very distinct idea of what one is), and that you had a number of playbooks. I wonder why you didn't attempt root on a number of devices and then write a rooting guide to put it forward to become a sticky?

No-one needs deep qnx knowledge to root a pb, just the ability to find cfp, the widely linked os root files, and follow some very basic instructions while using cmd. and hey, if it didn't work all you end up with is a normal, updated pb (and a couple of more attempts, in your case). I considered rooting my pb when I first purchased it, as I have with all my android phones (along with modding other phones for most of a decade) but decided against it, despite its potentialities, due to the fairly limited existing options. (I'm not about to learn qnx and program new features. android market I have on my phone. themes aren't really my thing.) but each to their own. With android rooting, however, I was excited by the possibilities, spent many hours trawling threads, spent many heart in mouth moments while my brand new 500 smartphone went into bootloops/appeared to hang/played dead, read more threads, realised my mistakes (always mine), rectified them and succeeded. When android exploded in summer 2010, I wrote guides on forums for new adopters, with many of the features you suggest. Helping those where I could with my experiences, and adding to the knowledge with new developments. They became stickies while they remained relevant, but are now probably on page 14000 of a cached server!

My point, then, is that if you want a sticky on rooting: write a comprehensive guide that is clearer than those already there; maintain it as a repository on all things root; gain support; and, petition mods to sticky it. if you're right about the impact of a sticky on the rooting community then your inputs will assist in the development of a community of 'super-modders'. When forums need stickies, they need someone to write them. If you want one, get to it!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kboya View Post
    I've seen you post many times about there being a 'sticky' on this (and with a very distinct idea of what one is), and that you had a number of playbooks. I wonder why you didn't attempt root on a number of devices and then write a rooting guide to put it forward to become a sticky?

No-one needs deep qnx knowledge to root a pb, just the ability to find cfp, the widely linked os root files, and follow some very basic instructions while using cmd. and hey, if it didn't work all you end up with is a normal, updated pb (and a couple of more attempts, in your case). I considered rooting my pb when I first purchased it, as I have with all my android phones (along with modding other phones for most of a decade) but decided against it, despite its potentialities, due to the fairly limited existing options. (I'm not about to learn qnx and program new features. android market I have on my phone. themes aren't really my thing.) but each to their own. With android rooting, however, I was excited by the possibilities, spent many hours trawling threads, spent many heart in mouth moments while my brand new 500 smartphone went into bootloops/appeared to hang/played dead, read more threads, realised my mistakes (always mine), rectified them and succeeded. When android exploded in summer 2010, I wrote guides on forums for new adopters, with many of the features you suggest. Helping those where I could with my experiences, and adding to the knowledge with new developments. They became stickies while they remained relevant, but are now probably on page 14000 of a cached server!

My point, then, is that if you want a sticky on rooting: write a comprehensive guide that is clearer than those already there; maintain it as a repository on all things root; gain support; and, petition mods to sticky it. if you're right about the impact of a sticky on the rooting community then your inputs will assist in the development of a community of 'super-modders'. When forums need stickies, they need someone to write them. If you want one, get to it!
    I understand what you are saying, (EG: If you want a sticky on the subject, write one) but at this point I would be unable to write a sticky as I said to heck with it and auto updated all the units.

Scenario is this:
    1: You only have (1) chance to properly root the device. (That is a biggie)

2: Process sounds simple, but there is no sticky on the subject.
    3: Old timers either don't respond at all, or say to "search" for info on the subject.
    4: Info obtained during searching is outdated /conflicting or incomplete. (see item #1)
    5: Newbie doesn't know "who" is knowledgeable on the subject OR who is talking BS. (see item #1)
    6: There is only (1) or two persons on this board that I'd trust, xsacha being one of them but his posts are cryptic in nature due to HIS tech level, and/ or device he is posting from? (See item#1)
    (He is at the College "senior" level, having accumulated a knowledge base on the process. Everyone else being at the freshman level- and he's assuming? the freshman have the same database of knowledge he has to work off of, but they don't.)

6: The numbers of people running a "Rooted" PlayBook is extremely low numerically. What like maybe 1,000 people in the whole world before RIM locked it down?
    7: Influx of persons "New" to the PlayBook is at a all time high due to the recent price cuts (EG 64GB for $149) - which is a GOOD thing. In a nutshell= reduced pricing has caused a SURGE in sales (unlikely to EVER be seen again, unless PB ver 2 fails), surge of persons NEW to the platform that yes expect to be able to customize the device as you can with a Android powered device.

Sad that these old timers can't see that all these people new to the hobby is a good thing as it increases interest in the platform and do a decent write up (and yes have it stickied) so you could point newbies to it.

As it stands now- Unless BB10 has some kind of hole that can be exploited the PlayBook is a dead duck so far as any new features /mods/ ability to customize it for those running the official release. (Currently at 2.1.0.1314 as of 2012-12-20)

99.999999% of PlayBook owners are for all intents and purposes totally dependent on RIM to address any issues as the OS is totally locked down.

(I understand why RIM wants it locked down for corporate /gov use)
    CrackBerry Abuser

yup, but I still don't understand why you didn't try it... that was the sub-point of the post, I had to try it on android using bunches of posts that were conflicting, divergent, difficult to understand, and occasionally plain wrong. The fact is, comparatively very few people root devices, those that do are just a little bit odd, and tend to have a diiy attitude. If you've already updated them all then too late, missed opportunity. demanding a sticky by trying to shame the "old-timers" is unlikely to work (remember that diy thing?)

there is rumour of another way, by corrupting a certain area and forcing the pb to revert to 1.0.0.0 (or something). I've offered to try it out, but received no reply. if you can find out how to do it, let me know, and I'll test (if yby that time you haven't already yourself)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kboya View Post
    yup, but I still don't understand why you didn't try it... that was the sub-point of the post, I had to try it on android using bunches of posts that were conflicting, divergent, difficult to understand, and occasionally plain wrong. The fact is, comparatively very few people root devices, those that do are just a little bit odd, and tend to have a diiy attitude. If you've already updated them all then too late, missed opportunity. demanding a sticky by trying to shame the "old-timers" is unlikely to work (remember that diy thing?)

there is rumour of another way, by corrupting a certain area and forcing the pb to revert to 1.0.0.0 (or something). I've offered to try it out, but received no reply. if you can find out how to do it, let me know, and I'll test (if yby that time you haven't already yourself)
    Posting from PlayBook so this will be brief.
    Did not try it because at that time there was conflicting info, and there were a couple of posts of unsuccessful root attempts.

In regard to corrupting the unit so you could roll back to a OS version which could be rooted. I read that too BUT the info could not be certified to be valid.
    Weird that none of the old timers responded to your request for information on the process.