Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    68,017 Global Posts

Default Re: Idiots Guide to rooting a new Playbook?

Quote Originally Posted by antiRIM View Post
    The benefits to rooting are kind of based upon your level of understanding what your doing. For example, you can easily install themes and Android Market with third party software (dingleberry), but for things like overclocking the processor and usb otg, there is no tool made for it so you have to dig around and find out yourself. There are overall unlimited #'s of things you can do with root if you know what your doing.
    So how well do these things work? Every app in the market works as expected? Android market and themes doesn't seem like much of an advantage.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

Android Market and Themes aren't worth rooting for IMO. What is worth rooting for is all the possible features that you can create or enable (if there already there just not in use).
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    68,017 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by antiRIM View Post
    Android Market and Themes aren't worth rooting for IMO. What is worth rooting for is all the possible features that you can create or enable (if there already there just not in use).
    So unless you're a programmer or good with these things there is no reason what so ever to do it?
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Re: Idiots Guide to rooting a new Playbook

It most certainly didn't work. I repeat that maybe it has something to do with the Playbook downloading 2.1.0.358 on it's first boot. I made myself very accustomed to the cfp program before attempting and I tried it on 2 different 64GB brand new Playbooks with the same results. Maybe there is something in the newer firmware to prevent it as the Playbooks both downloaded 2.1.0.358 and then went straight to install as soon as they downloaded and the only time you could input cfp resetqnxosregion was AFTER the update had installed. (the only time you get a 10 second reboot warning) The firmware really does automattically install after the firmware has downloaded and I mean immediately!

I also got the cfp progress of installation to 100 percent with the 'QNX OS REGION NVRAM is cleared' message on both occasions but both playbooks booted up running 358 after this!

Apparently you have to push the 4869 firmware to the device using cfp before you even initialising the set up procedure for it to work now as outlined on another thread. The information given by you has ruined my chance of having a Playbook on an older firmware and rooted and other people too!

Here is a link for the correct procedure which does work as I sold one of my Playbooks at a loss and purchased a new one!

Ready to setup brand new PB... Is it possible to not accept auto upgrades to latest version?

See post number 2, this definitely works.

I am sure you are only trying to be helpful antiRIM but you need to alter your post to mirror joannesbenedeks instructions which definitely work.
    CrackBerry Newbie

im on OS 2.1.0.1088.... any help???
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by da_wee_man View Post
    im on OS 2.1.0.1088.... any help???
    PlayBook running OS v 2.1.0.1088 cannot be rooted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12